“Overpriced but Good” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Tokyo, Japan
“Overpriced but Good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I visited this restaurant for lunch last week.

I was given instructions on my arrival to the parking lot which is behind an old building about 200 meters from the restaurant. I was well greeted at the entrance and was seated at my table. I was asked whether I would like a drink and presented with a card of "the" table d'hôte for the lunch time. Price: 9,300 yen including tax ($115 USD). I was not given an option nor was I presented with a menu although their website lists various lunch courses beginning at 2,940 yen.

The main course was turkey which was preceded by a turkey dish. Each dish look lovely and the taste was of superior quality.

Wine: I would rate their wine list as 5 on 10 which is very good for Japan. It included only French of various regions with red and white Bourgogne and a selection of Bordeaux but all wines were mostly from poorer vintages.
They have no new world wines. Price of their wine by the bottle is fair for a restaurant of this level. I inquired on the policy of bringing one's one wine and was informed that customers may bring their own without charge!

This is a lovely proper French restaurant with good service and a very rare policy in Japan of allowing customers to bring their own wine. The restaurant wine list is French and fair in price. The lunch course of 9,300 yen however was excessive considering that it included 2 courses of turkey.

I intend to visit this restaurant again in the near future for dinner but will try to negotiate the price and courses ahead of time so that I don't leave feeling a bit disappointed. Perhaps turkey is a delicacy in Japan but not from where I come from.....

Are you looking for a French restaurant of high status that will allow you to bring that expensive bottle of wine that you have been saving for a few years and will do so without charging you? It sounds too good to be true I know...but I asked twice and twice they told me "sure, no charge". Of course....the charge on the dinner is another matter altogether.

• Visited August 2012