“Nice hotel Rock hard beds” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Huachen International Hotel to your Saves list
Expedia.com Agoda.com
Huachen International Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.25 Pinghai Road, Shangcheng District, Hangzhou 310006, China   |
Ranked #86 of 1,816 hotels in Hangzhou
Geelong, Australia
“Nice hotel Rock hard beds”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

My wife and I stayed two nights at the Huachen International Hotel and enjoyed our stay apart from the beds (refer later).

Pros:

- good location, about a 10 minute walk to West Lake
- Nice large room with twin beds, work desk and two lounge chairs
- Free broadband in room.
- Effective air conditioning
- good bathroom
- mini bar with ice cube try. Fridge worked better than most
- iron & ironing board
- opening window with screen & good block out curtains
- Very little noise
- Staff at reception spoke limited English but ok
- in room safe
- Excellent buffet breakfast

Cons:

- Beds were the hardest we experienced during our months holiday in China; so hard my hips and shoulder were still suffering a day or two later.
- Safe was too small for my laptop
-No wifi except in lobby - Broadband in room made up for this

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

167 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Magnano In Riviera
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

The hotel is quite central and 10 minutes by taxi to west lake. Anyway the staff is very helpful and very nice, they speak a few english also. Check in and out very fast.

The room its not too big but quite nice. there is a minibar not expensive at all, cable tv, safe, a spacious work area. All the informations on the brochure are in english and well explained.The only thing is that the beds are really too hard, but this is a personal view.
In general its a good hotel but probably next time i will choose another one.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

This is the perfect location to discover the whole city, or nearly all of it, by foot.
Check in was quick and pleasant, staff very helpful!
The breakfast is excellent, don't know what else I could wish for. But then again, when in China, I like to eat like Cinese. Rooms are clean and you can't hear any sound from outside, or from inside the hotel.
Night market literally at your doorstep, there is a market on Sunday selling stonebeads and handmade stuff from villages.. heaven!
ONLY downside: the beds are so hard!!! You feel each spring in the night and each of your bones in the morning. It takes a while to walk it off, alternatively, a massage could help. Guess, this should be subsidised by the hotel ;-)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

No complaints really, except the usual Chinese hard beds. Wish the bed was as soft as the sitting chair in the room. But they have nice, soft feather pillows.

Otherwise the room was totally fine -all the usual 4 star amenities including toothbrushes, bathroom scales, two bottles of water complimentary per day. Plus a few not -so-common ones, like a welcome basket of fruits.

Location was fantastic -close to both West Lake and the train station.

Breakfast was ample -lasted till dinner. Some western dishes but heavily Chinese. We are in China, after all!

And the really nice part -there was always some English-speaking staff around to help with any travel needs, including advance train tickets. The level of travel service was as good as that of a good youth hostel. They even helped with city bike rentals -a hotel staffer physically walked me over to one of the city bike rental stations, provided me with a card, showed me how to use it and how to work the locks! You can figure it out yourself, but it's a bit more hassle. The only (minor) complaint is that at the end I found out it's not free. See, if you do it yourself, you can change bikes every two hours, and the rental clock never starts. If you do it through the hotel, you pay the rental regardless. But 7 hours of biking cost me something like $2.50 so I'm not really complaining.

They also arranged a private car to take me to Wuzhen water town for the afternoon/evening. Not before discouraging me because of traffic and supposed lack of time. But I insisted this is what I wanted to do. Their tour was much cheaper, but it would've required the whole day (no doubt including shopping and factories). Public bus would've been a big hassle. And I wanted to see it in the evening with fewer tourists and maybe better scenery with the lights reflecting off the water. So once I made it clear, they made it happen. Worked out just fine.

They also helped me hail a cab when I wanted to see the Leifeng Pagoda at night. Again, not before discouraging me (traffic, "maybe it's closed," etc.) But again, I insisted it was still open till 9PM, and I'm glad I did. The hotel made sure the driver used the meter and didn't take advantage of me with the usual bargaining.

They even provided me with two detailed maps of Hangzhou -one with all the city bike rental stations, and one with all the bus routes. Fantastic!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

We had no problem with the air conditioning on the 11th floor. The hallway was a bit of a maze but other than that we liked the room. It had 2 double beds (rather than 1 king size) which were comfortable. There was a small room fridge and the bathroom had many amenities. There was a soap and shampoo dispenser in the shower. There was also a clothesline in the shower. Wi-fi was in the lobby not in the rooms.
The view of the lake from the breakfast room is worth the visit. They had someone making eggs and omelets, yogurt, melon and small pastries. There was more Chinese food for breakfast than western but Hangzhou struck me as a city with more Chinese tourists than westerners. Many signs were in Chinese only. The hotel staff struggled a bit with English as well.
The hotel is a convenient walk to West Lake (try the dragon boats) where there are water and light shows set to Chinese music both day and night (reminiscent of the fountains at the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas). The hotel is a block from the night market where you can load up on cheap souvenirs. Many of the Chinese people were buying the clothes. You can buy Calvin Klien (note spelling) knockoffs and t-shirts.
Hangzhou was definitely worth the visit and I would return to this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Shanghai, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Location wise is convenient, short walking distance to West Lake. Requested non smoking room but they said it is a smoking floor for the Business Lake View room, so as expected the room did smell like cigarettes but after airing the room, it's quite ok. What I like is the that they have filtered drinking water tap in the bathroom, so we can use that water to boil and drink. Room is clean, bed is comfy, quite small for a Chinese hotel. Problem with aircon, not hot but also not cold, and very humid. Breakfast is so so

Be careful with taxi in front of the hotel (for the 3 days-2 nights stay we saw the same taxi driver waiting in front of the hotel gate, next to the bus stop), instead of taking us to the place we want to go, he would try to "force" use to go other places that benefited him, he tricked us once and to make it worse, he tried to get another passenger to share the taxi with us in the middle of the journey, really upsetting. The next morning we saw him, he approached us and when we mentioned our destination again he refused to take us to the spot at West Lake and tried to steer us to other place. So we walked away.

Nite market behind the hotel is quite interesting, only open on saturday and sunday 6-10 PM.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

My family and I thought it would be best to stay in a hotel near West Lake (Xi Hu) in Hangzhou so we could just walk there instead of fighting to get a taxi that wanted to go through the horrific traffic . We read the reviews on Tripadvisor and thought we would splurge on a Chinese hotel (instead of the 5 star luxury hotels on the lake) with a Deluxe Lakeview Room (twin beds) for 910 RMB ($144.44 US).

We had booked a non-smoking room but they told us they did not receive this request but would deodorize it. After a bit of discussion they "upgraded" us to a real non-smoking Deluxe Lakeview Room (twin beds) on the 16th floor. This room is 25 square meters (269 sq ft) and is a lot smaller than we expected. It was a very tight fit with our two large suticases and a crib. There was a chair and table for resting and a desk for a laptop to use the wired-only internet access (the lobby has free wifi). Both lobby and room internet access was good for browsing. The bathroom was incredibly small for a family (very difficult to have more than one person in the bathroom at the same time) but would be sufficient for a single traveler.

The breakfast area on the 19th floor was very clean and looked modern. The food selection was good but the taste was just average.

My main complaint for this hotel was that the "deluxe" room on the 16th floor was incredibly hot and the air conditioning did not work at all no matter value or fan speed was inputted. We called the lobby and complained but they never came up to do anything to help. I didn't want to leave the window open all night because my infant is a very good climber. Our whole family did not sleep well because this "sauna room" seemed to never go below 33 Celsius (91 Fahrenheit) even though outside was about 16 Celsius (60 Fahrenheit). In the morning we talked with several people on our floor on our way to breakfast and they also complained of the extreme heat. Seemed like several people were going to leave the hotel like us to find something cooler since the hotel staff refused to do anything about it or even acknowledge there was a problem. (note that the complaints to the staff were spoken in Mandarin Chinese so there is no language discrepancy here).

Overall, I would say that the price we paid for this hotel is too high (comparing to many other less expensive Chinese hotels) even though it is only a 10 minute walk away from West Lake. They should have took measures to get the air conditioning fixed or offer some type of solution for us rather than do nothing at all.

So my review scale for this hotel with a Deluxe Room based on 10 stars:
(higher value the better)

Location: 8
Room Quality: 2
Room Size: 4
Bed Quality: 4
Bed Size: 4
Service: 0
Internet: 6

Room Tip: 1. It cost about 90 RMB ($14.29 US) for a taxi to drive us from the local airport to Huachen Intern...