“Wonderful weekend at West Lake” 5 of 5 stars

You added Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake to your Saves list
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.333 Xihu Avenue, Hangzhou 310002, China   |
Ranked #58 of 1,900 Hotels in Hangzhou
Seattle, Washington
“Wonderful weekend at West Lake”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

Planned to spend the weekend in Shanghai but ended up in Hangzhou on short notice. Was stressing out about lodging because it was a busy weekend. Ended up at Sofitel West Lake and my problem was solved.

It's China so I was prepared to be put thru the ringer for last second booking. After some negotiation, their ***extremely charming*** front desk manager Linda found me a room at a reasonable price. Linda even threw in free breakfast. Was prepared to proposed at this point, but sadly all I had was a bag of Jelly Belly.

Did not experienced the renovation problems staff mentioned. No construction noise, AC was ice cold. Room had great city view with a slice of the lake. The fresh fruits and cookies were nice touch.

Can't complaint about the location. walk thru the underpass the lakeside mall greets you with Starbucks and Haagendazs. After the familiar, venture out to the scenic West Lake and blend in with the gracious locals. Here's a pro tip - take the island ferry, two hops get you far. Walk as much as you want, then take the taxi back.

One of the best "change of plan" ever.

Room Tip: Ask for Linda Zhang.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
SofitelHangzhou, Manager at Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear ChuckL_Seattle,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

I enjoyed staying at this hotel. It's in a great location. The only downside was that I thought we would have a lake view. It is not on the lake at all.

The staff were great, the hotel was very clean. They just recently re-painted some of the rooms. Make sure you don't get one of those rooms, unless you like breathing in strong paint air. They should open the windows to let the air out. They have a great spa that opens super late. Ask for the free breakfast.

I would stay here again. :)

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room that doesn't have the paint smell.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
SofitelHangzhou, Manager at Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear Brigitte2000,

Thank you very much for your comments regarding your stay at the Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake.

I am delighted to read that you are satisfied with our staff and hotel cleaness. We regret that the construction work caused inconvenience during your stay. However, as you have noticed, we are on the process of renovation and we will try our best to minimize the effects to the guests.

I sincerely invite you to visit our hotel again and I believe that our hotel can serve you better in near future.

Shanghai, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

I believe the hotel is very good however the staff should be less passive in communicating and be more trained.

The ladies at the check-in desk were wonderful and helped us very kindly to check in. As a platinum card holder we got upgraded, complimentary drinks, breakfast and access to the executive lounge.

The hotel's location is great, fantastic breakfast with a wide selection of Western and Asian food, the room was fantastic, great bed, comfortable bathroom, nice toiletries and fast service from housekeeping. Unfortunately the room temperature was way to high however the air conditioning was not working which made it quite uncomfortable to sleep though the bed was great.

My partner booked a special spa package which turned out to be great however we had to inform ourselves instead of the staff informing us.

This communication issue came back during our entire 3 day stay. Staff is very kind and patient however a bit helpless as they are seem clueless about most issues. Also, while we were arranging our treatments it was hard while there were so many staff we talked to and we were not assisted by one person. This also caused us to follow up a bunch of times to handle things. As well when asking if someone could fix the air conditioning we were told the first time that it would be fixed. Upon returning back to the room at night it was not fixed yet and after another call it turned out that it has been disable trough out the entire hotel (as this is obliged by law while it is not hot enough yet). It would have been better if we would have been told this the first time.

On our last day we made sure to inform the front desk we wanted to book a taxi which was no problem. We confirmed this another 2 times afterwards. Once we checked out and sat down to wait for our taxi the general manager told us it is not possible for the hotel to book a taxi. This gave us a some stress as we had to catch our train. The congiere managed to get one on the phone which was in the neighborhood and showed up after 10 minutes.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Ilovepannekoeken,

We sincerely appreciate you taking time to provide us your feedback and we are delighted to read that you are satisfied with our location, breakfast and room. Meanwhile, we regret that the Air-conditioning system upgrading caused inconvenience during your stay. As for the staff communication, I have instructed departments concerned to ensure issues will not happen again in the future.

However, your comments inspire us to strive harder in servicing our guests.

I sincerely invite you to visit our hotel again and I believe that we can serve you better in near future.

Paris
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

The hotel is OK, it does the job but nothing special. It is clearly not up to the Sofitel standards in terms of modern, classy design and luxury feel (which it has not) inside the rooms, the lobby and restaurants. It is in need of renovation and work is undergoing. That said, staff was friendly and the breakfast is just incredible with great French food that make it difficult to leave the table.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
SofitelHangzhou, Manager at Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Dear Bea013,

Thank you for choosing Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake!

We are effectively on the process of hotel room renovation as it is our aim to provide better service and elegant living environment. All ambassadors in Sofitel will continually strive to improve service quality, thus make you feel good value for money.

I believe our hotel will meet your expectations better in near future. I’m looking forward to meeting you again soon!

Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

Was supposed to stay at the Sofitel Hanzghou for a Sunday night but.....

1. Made prepaid booking on Orbitz.com because hotel was not available on Accor's own website.
2. Arrived to hotel using a taxi and no bellboys in sight. Had to get luggage by myself from the trunk and carry them to the lobby.
3. Le Club Accorhotels check in desk was unmanned (I am Platinum member).
4. Hotel unable to find the prepaid reservation that I had made on Orbitz because hotels own reservation center is closed on sundays and they apparently manually type in reservations that come in.
5. I requested General Managers business card so that I could let him/her know about the issues with the attempted check in. Staff cannot provide me with a business card.
6. While waiting in the lobby, I decided to book another hotel. No bellboy again to help getting a cab and loading my bags to the trunk.

I cannot understand how Accor allows this hotel to carry their flagship Sofitel brand considering all the service shortcoming from missing bellboys to trying to locate a reservation. There are many other far better options in Hangzhou and you should really avoid this disastrous hotel.

Room Tip: Stay at some other hotel in Hangzhou.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
SofitelHangzhou, Manager at Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear LoyaltyLobby,

We sincerely appreciate you taking time to provide us your feedback and It is with sincere regret that we note your dissatisfaction with our service.

I deeply regret that our employees could not locate your booking on our system.
However, our reception staffs had made their best effort to facilitate your check-in and offer you a free upgrade to a suite room but unfortunately, you decided not to accept it.
As for the concierge and bellboy, I am sorry that we did not service you in time during this particularly busy period that was Qingming festival.

The experience you described causes us deep concern. It does not represent the quality of service we strive for at our hotel. I have instructed our front office department to ensure this does not happen in the future.

However, your comments inspire us to strive harder in servicing our guests.

I sincerely hope that this experience will not impair your confidence in the Sofitel network.
We hope you will give us the opportunity of welcoming you again in Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake.

Gdynia, Poland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

travelers who know 5* hotels in China know that high service is based on very reasonable prices.
sofitel performs very average standard ( especially rooms ) and prices are on average 200 rmb higher than other 5* hotels.
the positive thing is food - you can smell and taste the "french touch " cousine and even exchange few words with lovely chef.
upon my next visit i will definitely take another hotel as I can see no reason to pay more for aver 5* hotel.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear magda0307,

May I begin by thanking you for your review on Tripadvisor.

We’re concerned with the satisfaction of our guests and your feedback is of great value to us. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed our food and I will thank our chef personally on your behalf.

Meanwhile, we’re effectively on the process of hotel room renovation. It is our aim to provide better service and elegant living environment. I believe our hotel will meet your expectations better in near future.

I would like to end by saying that it was a pleasure to serve you at Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake and we hope to see you again soon where you can witness the improvement we have made.

Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake

Been to Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake? Share your experiences!