“Fantastic view, good quality room. Noisy people at breakfast...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shangri La Hotel Hangzhou

You added Shangri La Hotel Hangzhou to your Saves list
Shangri La Hotel Hangzhou
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.78 Beishan Road, Xihu Distric, Hangzhou 310007, China   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #43 of 1,968 Hotels in Hangzhou
Milan, Italy
“Fantastic view, good quality room. Noisy people at breakfast...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I've been to Hangzhou this February, I had a suit with the lake view. The morning when I woke up, I was amaized by the beauty of the lake. The room is fine, everything fine, except for the atmosphere during the breakfast. There was a convention of a certain bank, at breakfast there were so many people, generally very rude, very nosisy (especially when they eat)...

Room Tip: lake view room
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Beijing
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

We went to shagri la for lunch and it was presented to us two choices: buffet and Chinese restaurant. We decided for buffet in coffee garden, it was the worst experience we ever had. The food was horrible: the sashimi was not fresh, the grilled salmon from the counter was super dry and over cooked, bear from the jug (even in a Chinese canteen you can get a bottle of bear instead from the jug). The food seemed to be there for 3 days. The duck was hard to eat, the fish seemed displayed for hours because it tasted dry. Well... and we paid per person around 300. We were eating and we could not believe how Shangri la would run a restaurant under their brand with such miserable standards. Besides, when we were having lunch the employees were passing through the main dining room with trays of ice to through away. This is not Shangri la standards.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

We visited this year one of the most beautiful lake city in China, the resort itself is on the lake , and it is one of the oldest five star resort in hangzhou, so the promptly is not super modern like others, however , still the same level of super service you can expect from this chain. The hotel is in a very quiet area of the lake but not far from the center , away from noise and crowds of China where you see everywhere,
We got a great price staying here in a low season, location was great, room clean, service delightful. So we paid a price of four star in China in a true five star in China by booking online,,, Insider tip, go on booking .com, sometimes you get a great discount for good hotels .

Will stay again,

Room Tip: Try to ask to stay at the main building ,,, newer rooms there
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

Stunning hotel in a stunning location - a little tired in places and the incessant traffic out the front are the only 2 minor down sides to a stunning location!
Food and service excellent and within easy walking distance of many restaurants
Remember Location Location Location!

• Stayed November 2012
Saint Augustine, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

I stayed at the Shangri La Hotel for a 3 week business trip. The staff at the hotel made it very easy for an english speaking guest to travel around the area. The breakfast each morning was wonderful. We were always taken out to lunch by our Chinese co-workers and were not always sure of what were eating so the made to order breakfast with lots of fruit was our saving grace each day! The location was great and I could take walks or jogs around the lake. The temple near the hotel was interesting and spent quite a bit of time exploring. I did not go too far from the hotel but always felt safe. The Italian restaurant on property is excellent. It was probably the best meal I had while staying in Hangzhou. We took a boat tour of the lake and they stopped at several silk factories so we could look around. It is a beautiful area and well worth visiting. Again, the hotel staff was wonderful and helped us out each day with our transportation and anything we needed during our stay at the hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I loved this hotel. We recieved fresh fruit in our room daily. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Loved how close we were to West Lake. When my hubby was off to work I walked around the lake and went to a temple near the hotel. We had dinner at the italian restaurant there on the property and it was nice.We also had breakfast at the hotel and they had a large variety to choose from the buffet. Overall we had a very nice stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

My third time here in recent years. Rarely do I have severe criticism for Shangri-La but this needs serious attention to stay in business, in my view. My suggestions for areas that absolutely need attention:

-Warmth of welcome at ground floor reception level and helpfulness of porters was poor (no smiles, or special efforts to help almost reluctance).

-No escorting to room from Horizon Level check in, just point and go.

-No delivery of newspapers, indeed some not until afternoon.

-Turndown is done at same time as bed making – I really don’t want to see my bed turned down at 11.30am! Why cannot turndown be done later and the room refreshed in early evening as is normal?

-The rooms and bathrooms are very outdated (but in part this is part of the ‘charm’); but the place does not help itself as hotel information is poorly displayed; no special touches.

-No characteristic Shangri-La fragrance (presumably due to lack of air circulation system) so the hotel smells and has a decidedly musty air.

-Total lack of engagement of staff with client outside the confines of the Horizon Club (at one point I thought I must have become invisible) and within the Horizon Club minimal interaction and attention (one has to ask for everything).

- I tried to make a reservation at the Shang for lunch but was told I would still need to be there for 12 midday as a table could not be guaranteed – so it seems a reservation could not be made. This is astonishing. I went at 12 it was not busy.

-The restaurant service was mediocre - many staff standing around but no one giving service. Our order was taken wrongly so we corrected, drinks took ages to arrive.

The only thing that is undeniably good is the location and view – for an out of city centre location this is nice. The product even in it’s well worn state could be better if there was a buzz in the staff.

Clearly things need to change before I will come back and I assume business is destined to decline. Regrettably I can't recommend to stay here.

The new Shangri La in the city opens in 2015.

Room Tip: East Wing lake view is best if you dare to stay!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Been to Shangri La Hotel Hangzhou? Share your experiences!