“Very special.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Amanfayun

You added Amanfayun to your Saves list
Amanfayun
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   No.22 Fayun Alley, Xihujiedao, Xihufengjingmingshen District, Hangzhou 310013, China   |
Ranked #7 of 1,998 Hotels in Hangzhou
Northumberland
“Very special.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I absolutely loved this resort. The village has literally been converted into rooms, restaurants and a spa - it is so beautiful, a bolt hole from the hustle and bustle of China and a unique property that I feel privileged to have stayed in.
We were greeted by the manager Monika and her husband Lukasz and made to feel very welcome from the off. We were given details of the local temples and hikes and when my husband went out to do a couple of hours' hike they very kindly insisted he take one of the hotels cell phones in case he got lost and needed to call for help! The pool area is tranquil - lying by the pool with the smell of incense and the sounds of the nearby temples drifting across was an experience I will never forget. We ate lunch at the western restaurant and had a couple of pre and post dinner drinks there and we also ate at the Steam House which was very good. We had treatments at the Spa which were wonderful.
With regard to criticisms mentioned in previous reviews I would say - yes, the rooms are dark but I found it added to the atmosphere; yes, you have the public walking down the 'main street' but I didn't find that intrusive; and yes, service of the rooms is a bit an issue when you don't speak chinese and housekeeping want to know if/when they can come in.
This was our first stay at an Aman and whilst I don't know that I'm going to become an Amanjunkie, I would definitely like to visit some of the other properties if this is representative of the atmosphere of their resorts.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This is an exceptional property in the true Aman tradition. The old village that makes up the hotel is really beautiful, a complete haven. The rooms are delightful if a little dark. The restaurants are good and a beautiful secluded warm swimming pool. All this within several hundred yards of teaming masses in the nearby temples. The Aman organises trips by their boat on the West Lake, a must. Also the light show in the evening on the lake is beautiful

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed in many Aman's so have certain expectations. This location is unique again due to the fact that they used houses of an old local town and turned it into an Aman villa resort. We felt blessed that we could stay in something unique like this and of course noticed that even Aman struggled a bit with the challenges of running a "village". We loved every minute of it.

We got assigned a butler (Raphael Park) who also became our tour guide and was availble for anything. Great guy with lot's of focus on the details and taking best care of us, really nice touch and also smart interface with some perhaps English skilled team members. We were lucky it was quite so were often alone at the pool and had great service from the team.

We had dinner in all restaurants on the property and loved them all ! Not too complicated, village style suitable and of great quality. If I had to make one remark it would be that the villa's, in their orginal style, are quite dark. We really struggled at times and wanted one bigger light for just some minutes - like during packing.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Wereldreiziger987
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

There can be no better way to explore Hangzhou than from the amazing Amanfayun. Peaceful, serene and beautiful. The rooms, restaurants and hotel facilities provide everything you could imagine - truly a fantastic destination.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I can not say enough about my stay at Amanfayun. You must know that while choosing Aman - anywhere in the world - it is the " experience " !!! take in where you are, an ancient Chinese village surrounded by Buddhist temples - monks walking to their studies , peaceful walkways , ancient carvings in caves thousands of years old right outside your beautiful villa!!! ( except your floors are heated and you have a cozy luxurious bed , with a beautiful Rain shower in your bathroom and all the amenities Aman has to offer, yet still giving you the experience of where you really physically are. ) The bones of the structure are the same. Peaceful, simple. Beautiful.
Do not miss the dinner prepared by the Buddhist monks !! It is amazing!!! The Western Restaurant Is fabulous , room service exceptional , if anything I would skip hounghou house - ( maybe I was just tired of " real Chinese " food??? )
The spa -omg! You have to do the traditional Chinese bath . !!! Believe me - you will be so relaxed ! It is private and luxurious ! Candles, ginger scrub... Like I said, omg!!!
My tip- if you like wine ( like I do ) bring your own, keep it outside ( whites) - if it's cold , red - inside.
The service will not disappoint - Aman is the best of the best-
Don't get distracted by stupid stuff - ( the lighting - I LOVED it - because it authenticated what it was probably like 900 years ago!!!) embrace the EXPERIENCE!!!!
Amanfayun was the BEST part of my experience in China. ( the only place that didn't have the artificial perfume smell - ( top hotels in Shanghai) and my most memorable positive memory of my visit to China.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank kimberlysue
geneva
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We certainly had mixed feelings about the Amanfayun... My wife and I could not decide if we liked it or not at the end of the stay. While it is hard to pinpoint specific faults in the hotel, the overall atmosphere was a bit off. In the hotel's defense, we stayed in grey, cold and wet November, which has a depressing impact. Also, the hotel seemed almost empty. At least, for meals, it seemed we were the only guest, which added to the slightly surreal atmosphere. The common areas and the room are very pretty, in a low key, almost rural way. The hotel is spread over a long pathway, which links it to a network of beautiful temples. It is also located about twenty minutes away from West Lake, the main attraction in Hangzhou. The service was fine and the spa very, very nice.

The food was decent at the three restaurants we sampled on the property (Steam House for Dim Sum, Hangzhou House and Tea House for local specialties), although a bit blend (which I believe is more due to the style of cooking in Hangzhou than to the quality of the restaurants).

In summary, since there are not a lot of things to do around the hotel, I would recommend a short stay of one or two nights at most. If I could rate it somewhere between average and very good, that's what I would do...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sikorskd
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Note:
We did not stay at this facility but we visited this place with intention for a weekend brunch, after reading about the story of the village concept somewhere. We only ate there and strolled around the compound.

The uphill ride in itself supports the idea of a pilgrimage to the secluded resort, and the foggy weather and golden sun rays that morning further helped to create the wonderful feeling of discovering a hidden gem.

Everything felt perfect... until we arrived at the pavilion with the 'security', who asked us what was our business being there. We said we would like to visit the restaurants for a meal, and he asked if we made reservations. (It was around 9.30am) We did not (and did not expect that we had to), and he said the restaurants are probably full. I asked if I can enter and try to check at the restaurant anyway, the man said, "well if there is no other matter...." Certainly not very welcoming. It is my first time at an Aman so I am not sure what to expect (that is, if Aman is a very snobbish resort or not?) but there is no way I am going downhill after coming all the way up without entering the premises, so I asked again if we could enter to check the restaurant out and he agreed. (Now I am wishing I have noted his name.)

The planner/landscape architect/designer did a fantastic job. We loved the journey going through (although the reception staff also gave us another cold welcome). It is not the 'real deal' village of course but it was moving... and on a small bridge, we met the first warm face of Aman - Mr Carl Fang - who directed us to the restaurants and gave a quick run down on the types of restaurants in the resort.

We visited the Chinese and Western restaurant - which were both empty when we arrived, so I wonder why the 'security' was so concerned about our lack of reservations - and settled for the Chinese one that looked more rustic. (We were also told at one of the restaurants that the others were not open till 12, but we found out later the vegetarian one is actually opened before 12) The food was slightly disappointing - it is not expensive by resort standards world-wide, but compared to the typical standard I have been having, I would say the value of the meal lies in the setting not the taste. We had Char Siew Buns (dry... below average), special noodles (OK), and porridge (rather nice) for around 200RMB. The service in the restaurant was also mediocre as staff were not attentive (surprising for a restaurant with less than 10 medium size tables).

In the gift shop, we met another wonderful person that made our day. Ms Lian Chen gave excellent explanations on many of the exquisitely designed items in the shop. If I could, I would have bought the entire shop based on her patience to share the stories of the designer pieces. She also offered to help us contact reception to call for cab in advance when she knew we were leaving.

We did not stay till the night but based on our observations, I do think that once night falls, the resort will be consumed by darkness.

The people I mentioned were instances I made an effort to notice their names because I think they deserve to be praised - they looked so happy to be (working) there, to be meeting visitors and making sure that they are well taken care of and that they feel good. These are the people that make me want to revisit Amanfayun, and hope that we will meet these good people again when I am there.

Amanfayun is a beautiful place, and it needs cheerful, kind people to make this 'village' welcoming and warm. Let not the grouches ruin the village.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends