“Lost in time in the ultimate luxury” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Amanfayun

You added Amanfayun to your Saves list
Amanfayun
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   No.22 Fayun Alley, Xihujiedao, Xihufengjingmingshen District, Hangzhou 310013, China   |
Ranked #23 of 1,962 Hotels in Hangzhou
San Francisco
“Lost in time in the ultimate luxury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

There can be no better way to explore Hangzhou than from the amazing Amanfayun. Peaceful, serene and beautiful. The rooms, restaurants and hotel facilities provide everything you could imagine - truly a fantastic destination.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I can not say enough about my stay at Amanfayun. You must know that while choosing Aman - anywhere in the world - it is the " experience " !!! take in where you are, an ancient Chinese village surrounded by Buddhist temples - monks walking to their studies , peaceful walkways , ancient carvings in caves thousands of years old right outside your beautiful villa!!! ( except your floors are heated and you have a cozy luxurious bed , with a beautiful Rain shower in your bathroom and all the amenities Aman has to offer, yet still giving you the experience of where you really physically are. ) The bones of the structure are the same. Peaceful, simple. Beautiful.
Do not miss the dinner prepared by the Buddhist monks !! It is amazing!!! The Western Restaurant Is fabulous , room service exceptional , if anything I would skip hounghou house - ( maybe I was just tired of " real Chinese " food??? )
The spa -omg! You have to do the traditional Chinese bath . !!! Believe me - you will be so relaxed ! It is private and luxurious ! Candles, ginger scrub... Like I said, omg!!!
My tip- if you like wine ( like I do ) bring your own, keep it outside ( whites) - if it's cold , red - inside.
The service will not disappoint - Aman is the best of the best-
Don't get distracted by stupid stuff - ( the lighting - I LOVED it - because it authenticated what it was probably like 900 years ago!!!) embrace the EXPERIENCE!!!!
Amanfayun was the BEST part of my experience in China. ( the only place that didn't have the artificial perfume smell - ( top hotels in Shanghai) and my most memorable positive memory of my visit to China.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
geneva
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We certainly had mixed feelings about the Amanfayun... My wife and I could not decide if we liked it or not at the end of the stay. While it is hard to pinpoint specific faults in the hotel, the overall atmosphere was a bit off. In the hotel's defense, we stayed in grey, cold and wet November, which has a depressing impact. Also, the hotel seemed almost empty. At least, for meals, it seemed we were the only guest, which added to the slightly surreal atmosphere. The common areas and the room are very pretty, in a low key, almost rural way. The hotel is spread over a long pathway, which links it to a network of beautiful temples. It is also located about twenty minutes away from West Lake, the main attraction in Hangzhou. The service was fine and the spa very, very nice.

The food was decent at the three restaurants we sampled on the property (Steam House for Dim Sum, Hangzhou House and Tea House for local specialties), although a bit blend (which I believe is more due to the style of cooking in Hangzhou than to the quality of the restaurants).

In summary, since there are not a lot of things to do around the hotel, I would recommend a short stay of one or two nights at most. If I could rate it somewhere between average and very good, that's what I would do...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Note:
We did not stay at this facility but we visited this place with intention for a weekend brunch, after reading about the story of the village concept somewhere. We only ate there and strolled around the compound.

The uphill ride in itself supports the idea of a pilgrimage to the secluded resort, and the foggy weather and golden sun rays that morning further helped to create the wonderful feeling of discovering a hidden gem.

Everything felt perfect... until we arrived at the pavilion with the 'security', who asked us what was our business being there. We said we would like to visit the restaurants for a meal, and he asked if we made reservations. (It was around 9.30am) We did not (and did not expect that we had to), and he said the restaurants are probably full. I asked if I can enter and try to check at the restaurant anyway, the man said, "well if there is no other matter...." Certainly not very welcoming. It is my first time at an Aman so I am not sure what to expect (that is, if Aman is a very snobbish resort or not?) but there is no way I am going downhill after coming all the way up without entering the premises, so I asked again if we could enter to check the restaurant out and he agreed. (Now I am wishing I have noted his name.)

The planner/landscape architect/designer did a fantastic job. We loved the journey going through (although the reception staff also gave us another cold welcome). It is not the 'real deal' village of course but it was moving... and on a small bridge, we met the first warm face of Aman - Mr Carl Fang - who directed us to the restaurants and gave a quick run down on the types of restaurants in the resort.

We visited the Chinese and Western restaurant - which were both empty when we arrived, so I wonder why the 'security' was so concerned about our lack of reservations - and settled for the Chinese one that looked more rustic. (We were also told at one of the restaurants that the others were not open till 12, but we found out later the vegetarian one is actually opened before 12) The food was slightly disappointing - it is not expensive by resort standards world-wide, but compared to the typical standard I have been having, I would say the value of the meal lies in the setting not the taste. We had Char Siew Buns (dry... below average), special noodles (OK), and porridge (rather nice) for around 200RMB. The service in the restaurant was also mediocre as staff were not attentive (surprising for a restaurant with less than 10 medium size tables).

In the gift shop, we met another wonderful person that made our day. Ms Lian Chen gave excellent explanations on many of the exquisitely designed items in the shop. If I could, I would have bought the entire shop based on her patience to share the stories of the designer pieces. She also offered to help us contact reception to call for cab in advance when she knew we were leaving.

We did not stay till the night but based on our observations, I do think that once night falls, the resort will be consumed by darkness.

The people I mentioned were instances I made an effort to notice their names because I think they deserve to be praised - they looked so happy to be (working) there, to be meeting visitors and making sure that they are well taken care of and that they feel good. These are the people that make me want to revisit Amanfayun, and hope that we will meet these good people again when I am there.

Amanfayun is a beautiful place, and it needs cheerful, kind people to make this 'village' welcoming and warm. Let not the grouches ruin the village.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
West Lafayette
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Great place! Right beside the famous Lingyin Temple. A little bit far away from the city center, but a perfectly quiet place. Just go and feel the ancient China. They have great food but limited choices. Spa was not good as I imagined.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Weston, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

China is a fascinating country to visit but it is very crowded with both Chinese and foreign tourists and the real old China that many of us are looking for is almost non existent. Aman has done a superlative job of accurately restoring a 700 year old Chinese village into a luxury resort set in a tranquil area adjacent to a lovely complex of seven beautiful bhuddist temples. The amenities of the resort are exceptional and the restaurants (two of which are locally run) serve by far the best food that we had in China. The suites are very spacious (albeit a bit dimly lit for authenticity). The grounds are lovely and truly transport you to a different era. The spa is luxurious and expertly staffed and even offers a bath in a real antique wooden Chinse tub. The pool is delightful.

The best thing about the resort is warm, welcoming and helpful staff that overlooks no detail in ensuring a pleasant stay. The general manager, Lucas Prendke and his wife Monica make sure the place runs like a Swiss watch and made us feel like honored guests in their own home.

The resort is near the town of Hangzhou, known for the beautiful West Lake which is well worth visiting but only if it is not mobbed by tourists. The evening performance of "Remembrances of West Lake" is not to be missed. The town of Hangzhou and the market there should be avoided as it is a crowded area with shops selling mostly tourist trinkets of minimazl interest.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Amanfayun quickly redeemed itself from 4 to 5-star if not more by quickly acknowledging its early 'mistakes' of being slightly disconnected with not-so-perfect internal communication expected from our usual Aman stay (this is our 7th stay in an Aman resort in other countries).

We stayed for 4 nights 5 days in this serene, beautiful, near-heavenly place nestled in mountains & green where we saw not a single tall concrete buildings. The main purpose was to celebrate my 79-yr old father's birthday on our 4th night. However, their Western restaurant got mixed up on the date to be our 2nd night with birthday cake prepared. Aman apologized repeatedly & gave us free car-rides & little gift with extra attention to details.

What I like about Amanfayun:
1. Crisp, clear fresh air blessed with good Feng Shui (obvious with major temples surrounding Aman) that earned a rare raving comment from my father on how well he slept the first time in many years!

2. Outstanding service of the Spa in opening their yoga studio for us as an exception at 5:30 am instead of their usual opening time at 7 am for 3 days in a row. Further, we'r given ginger tea in a delicate tea pot set whereby the tea was readily heated by a long-lasting candle throughout our yoga practice. Their Bath House is also worth checking out.

3. In terms of dining experience, is the Linyin Vegetarian which serves delicacy food made by Lingyin Temple Monks serving set menu in two different price: 500 & 800 yuan. Each dish is an art itself.

4 Next favorite is Steam House which serves outstanding simple basic dishes like as fresh home-made soy milk, steam vegetable buns & steamed brown rice. The best deep fried dough or you tiao (油条)can be found here. We even came back to Steam House after a highly disappointing lunch at the Four Seasons Hangzhou where we experienced terrible salad & bread with poor service. We went there purely to check out if they deserve the good ranking & we'r glad to confirm Amanfayun was far better in food, service & especially surprised to see the 4-Seasons Hotel much 'loud & tacky' interior decor.

5. Security is excellent. There're a few cases whereby our rooms were locked immediately after we left forgotten about locking our door.

The only thing we did not like is the western Restaurant in Amanfayun: expensive & little vegetarian options (except Lingyin restaurant which offers only fixed menu). The Aman salad was overly diced with much cheese. The pesto & tomato pasta were disappointing, greasy & oily.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Amanfayun? Share your experiences!