“Very likely the best overall hotel in Hangzhou” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Grand Plaza Royale Hangzhou

You added Wyndham Grand Plaza Royale Hangzhou to your Saves list
Wyndham Grand Plaza Royale Hangzhou
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.555 Fengqi Road, Xiachang District, Hangzhou 310006, China   |
Ranked #1 of 1,963 Hotels in Hangzhou
KL
“Very likely the best overall hotel in Hangzhou”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I only spent a night in Wyndham Grand Plaza Royale Hangzhou as I was on a tight schedule for my business trip and I have a lot of nice things to say about this hotel and its staff.

The best thing about this hotel is its service. The staff is warm and seem to know when you arrive (provided you let the hotel know in advance) and also your transportation arrangements (if you get their concierge to handle it for you). I nearly missed my departing bus due to misinterpreting the bus tickets I had on hand, and if it wasn't for Garry Wang, I would have missed it - he arranged a hotel car to send me to the nearest bus station (the soccer stadium).

Now, on to the food. The hotel supposedly has a great Thai restaurant, but I didn't try that as I thought it would be pointless to eat Thai food in China, so I decided to try the Chinese restaurant on the 10th floor. I decided to go for the local specialties instead of the usual fare, but I found them a bit on the salty and oily side (don't know whether this is normal) as well as pricy. But the coffee house on the 2nd floor is very good - I had tiramisu and cappucino, which were very good and huge in portion (prices seem to commensurate). I even had my breakfast there - and the spread was awesome - especially for Chinese food, so in short, I had more than enough for breakfast! Very satisfied with the coffee house!!!

The room itself was big, my only gripe was that I wish that I had chosen the rooms facing the West Lake area (as mine faces the Fengqi Road, which didn't have a great view). Big king-sized bed, with 6 pillows. Big flat screen TV. Very nice looking study area which feels like a boss's office. Wifi and LAN internet connections are complementary.Very comfortable bedroom.

Bathroom was huge, with separate shower room, bathtub and also dressing table area! And it comes well-stocked with amenities. Too bad I had no time to soak myself and enjoy the room. However, I managed to squeeze some time to swim in the hotel pool at the B1 level. The lap pool was just ~20 metres long, depth about 1.2 metres, heated - which is not bad. Not much to shout about, but it suits me well.

Will I stay at Wyndham Grand Plaza when I visit Hangzhou the next time? YES, and this time I need to stay at the rooms facing the West Lake, ideally at the highest floor for the best view.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
auckland New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

From the moment we entered your lovely hotel, we were made to feel welcome, and special. The staff all went the "extra mile" to make sure we were comfortable, and happy, and our time with you was memorable in the nicest way. We shall always have very happy memories of our stay with you, We enjoyed making friends with the lovely Sheyma - so much so, we took pictures of each other and hopefully shall keep in touch in the future. Eva also was extremely kind and helpful, and we enjoyed meeting your Italian manager the morning we left. Sheyma was not on duty that morning, but we left with very happy memories of a delightful and well-run hotel. To make things perfect, we had a heavy shower of snow,the day before, and during the night, and woke in the morning to a winter wonderland!
I am 83 years old,and was traveling with my daughter and son-in-law,and we were all most appreciative of the wonderful service and kindness we received from your friendly staff. The Xmas tree in the foyer was a delight, and I had to restrain myself from taking one of the beautiful Xmas dolls home with me!
We enjoyed our meals at the hotel, and the Thai restaurant was superb.
Thank you for making our time in Hangzhou such a happy one.
We have just arrived home in New Zealand, and loved our Chinese adventure.I am very happy to give your hotel our highest recommendation.
Sincerely, Patricia Thomas

Room Tip: I shall send photos ujnder separate cover - unable to get into Picasso at the moment. - Patricia
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
LONDON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

A warm welcome the moment you step into this hotel.Staff are well-trained and make plenty of effort to make guests as comfortable as possible.Special thanks to 'Patricia', her folksy manners to the customers that every staffs should follow.The Hotel - right on the lake with incredible views out to lake and over 'Hangzhou' - is one of those hotels you won’t want to leave, and nor will you need to.As you’d expect in a hotel of this calibre, the polite but not obsequious staff know exactly what they’re doing, and show a good knowledge of the city for those that need advice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint-Raphael, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

My stay in this hotel was simply amazing. From the beginning and the warm welcome done by the international english speaker to all my expectation, i was feeling as my own home. The staff is so friendly and helpfull. Always keeping a eye to you, gave the best services and called you by your name. Moreover the concierge are knowledgeable about the city. My room was quite big, with a lovely lake view and several amenities perfect to be comfortable. Differents restaurants inside the hotel are succulent. The food was fresh and high quality, which is the most important thing for myself. The health club was well equiped. I definitely suggest this hotel for any stay in Hangzhou!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

Looks incredibile but , from the moment you enter the hall, reception, staff in perfekt or own language, room super, clean, breakfast ecellent , realy if you look for a nice nice hotel , go there and you see i am right

• Stayed December 2012
Isernia, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My work takes me to travel a lot and stay at least 6 months a year in China. Since I started attending the Wyndham seems to me to be at home. The hotel 'beautiful, the rooms are very spacious and the value for quality prices is very good

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This was my first experience with a Wyndham Hotel. And it didn't fail my expectations.
Overall the service was very well, at reception, roomservice, in the restaurants and so on. The only hickup was during our arrival. I was driven from the trainstation to the Hotel with a private chauffeur. And at the entrance they really made our life very difficult in wanting us not even to stop for 10 minutes to just be able to get out and get the luggage. We had almost to bribe the parking boy to let us use one of the free parking spots. And then when finally parked, there was nobidy to help us with the luggage. I mentioned this to the deputy manager at reception, just to be sure. We had no more problems afterwards. reception was swift and professional, I got a nice room, no upgrade though.
The room is very nice, quite big, very good matrass, good linen, bath and seperate shower, good quality products. Also a good quality internet line, which is sometimes not so easy in China.
Breakfast was good, a nice selection of both chinese and european dishes. Roomservice was also well prepared and swift, quicker then announced. I didn't go to any of the onsite restaurants, so I can't comment on that.
So overall my stay was pleasant. I have a difficult time now choosing between the Wyndham and the Hyatt just a couple of 100 meters further. I think its going to be the price that will decide that next time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Wyndham Grand Plaza Royale Hangzhou? Share your experiences!