first of all:: for people looking for a hotel in Hangzhou city - this one here a bit of a misnomer.
The New Century is NOT in Hangzhou city proper
but in Xiaoshan which is kind of a suburb town which belongs to the Greater Hangzhou Area district.
the distance from the hotel is roughly 30-40 km to Hangzhou downtown (!!) depending on the road you take - with the bad trafic in HZ that means a drive of anything between 30/40mins - 1 hour
so if you are looking for a hotel in Hangzhou proper you can already stop reading reviews of this hotel now and go check out the next one in the list.
for people who want to stay in Xiaoshan the New Century is still an option, though that this one is rated 7th on the list of HZ-hotels on tripadviser is dazzling. i would know at least 7 hotels in Hangzhou that are clearly better ...... and there will plenty more i havenot stayed at which are better than the Grand New Century Xiaoshan.
its a bit aged already, a massive (700 rooms) New Century (= Kai Yuan).
New Century is a chinese 5-star hotel chain mainly with properties in Zhejiang province.
the rooms and amenities are similar to western 5-stars, comparable to Crown Plaza, Marriott or Hilton properties, for about half to 2/3 the pricetag.
The difference to western brand 5-stars are mainly:
- poorer Food & Beverage quality, especially if you want to eat western food, you are more likely to be dissapointed in a New Century.
- as New Century hotels mainly are frequented by chinese clientele and international guests make up only a very low percentage (my estimate is about 2-3%) not all the staff can be communicated with trouble-free in english. this varies though from property to property.
- cleanliness is poorer in some properties
a quick category-breakdown:
LOCATION: NOT in Hangzhou proper (!), good if you need to stay in Xiaoshan, its close to the Xiaoshan (Hangzhou Nan) trainstation
ROOMS: good, New Century standard. a bit aged though and as this is mostly frequented by chinese who smoke everywhere regardless of no-smoking signs, the rooms are a bit smelly, even more so are corridors, the elevators etc. slight cleanliness issues.
AMBIENCE: the typical gradnious chinese style - huge layout. lots of marble, everything is beige and brown.
SLEEPING-QUALITY: comfortable bed and quiet, but the air in the room is quite musky. if you cant stand the cigarette/smoking smell in rooms better think twice about staying there.
PRICE/VALUE: average. 100 Eur incl taxes, incl. breakfast for the standard room.
FOOD & BEVERAGE: poor, eat outside if you can. the breakfast is below average.
Note: for some inexplicable reason the hotel charges for parking the car in the hotel carpark, even for guests..............
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Short DescriptionThe five-star Hotel in a height of 218 meters is the tallest tower in Hangzhou. The hotel is located in Xiaoshan Central Business District The hotel has 700 rooms.Detail DescriptionNew Century Grand Hotel Hangzhou is located in Xiaoshan Central Business District only 23 Kilometers drive to Xiaoshan International Airport and a stone’s throw at the express way. The hotel is within 30-minute drive to the West Lake, 44 kilometers to the historic city Shaoxing, and 150-minute drive to the metropolitan Shanghai and the port city Ningbo.The hotel has 700 luxury guestrooms of various types. The toilets in all the guestrooms adopt French glass window. You can watch TV directly in the toilets. With Rain Forest sprinkler and Hansgrohe bathroom facilities, the updated guestroom articles will provide you a comfortable stay. Besides, an office area is specially set up in the guestroom with office desk, fax machine, broadband access and various office supplies for the convenience of your business activities.There are all kinds of restaurants and bars such as four seasons, Café Mediterranean, montarcino grills, I ma ri qi janpanese suchi, rose garden bar, lounge bar, cook fun restaurant and clubhouse in the hotel.The famous kitchen chefs always offer our guest variable gastronomies such as hang cuisine, canton cuisine, royal palace bird’s nest, shark fin and abalone and different country style western foods as well.Fitness Center which offers a superior array of outdoor and indoor sports and leisure activities with our exceptional service.It is equipped with the world top-grade LIFEFITNESS fitness facilities and provided with various fitness items like aerobics, strength exercise, free weight lifting, etc. Location: 3Fonderful Times Club boasts items deluxe KTV boxes, show bar, and reflexology room, perfect for your relaxation, therapy, and indulgence. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Agoda, Orbitz, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your New Century Grand Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- New Century Grand Hangzhou