We arrived at Hangzhou airport close to 11pm. The taxi ride to Crystal took approximately 30 minutes (and RMB110). Traffic at that time was pretty smooth and we enjoyed the night scenes of Hangzhou as the taxi easily weaved through the night traffic.
Checking in was fast, the front counter staff were friendly and the lobby was clean. My young son scored a “welcome to our hotel toy” from one of the front counter staff, so he was chuffed.
We had a corner deluxe room facing the main entry to the hotel (which was a busy road) but the street noise was tolerable. The room was large enough for my husband, child and I. My son declared that he “loved the room” the minute he saw it. The room was clean and everything appeared fairly new – and well maintained. I especially liked the floorboards (instead of carpets).
The room had the usual coffee/tea /slippers /toiletries / towels supplied. We had a large private balcony connected to the room which overlooked the front of the hotel, which made the room seem larger than it was. The bed was firm but clean. We also had a flat screen TV & sound system in the bedroom which automatically turned on each time we walked into the room.
I was a bit apprehensive prior to our stay because of a couple of things. First – I wasn’t thrilled about a glass wall in the bathroom. I figured it must be a Chinese (exhibitionist?) trend as I noticed that quite a few hotels in China seem to have glass bathroom walls. I am glad to report that there are blinds that will provide the conservative, adequate privacy.
Secondly, there were some negative comments posted on Tripadvisor regarding the communication problems they had with the hotel staff before our stay which concerned me. I am pleased to say that the worry was unnecessary because I found the service to be of good standard. The front counter staff were all very helpful and the concierge was super quick to get us a taxi and very-efficient in loading our luggage to the trunk without expecting a tip! In fact, we had to call him back for a tip!
We only stayed for a couple of nights before heading off to Shanghai but for a 3 star hotel, it certainly lived up to this rating and more ++. I think this is one of the better Chinese hotels and I would not hesitate to recommend the Crystal Orange Hotel. You do get value for your money.
• Clean room/bathroom (lovely rain forest showerhead)
• Friendly, efficient & helpful staff
• No problems with communication (Some staff spoke basic English)
• Good value for money (AUD$90 per night)
• Free, stable Wi-fi connection in the bedroom (but many websites are blocked in China)
• Easy access to taxis
• Close to the West Lake
• Close to the train station (to Shanghai) – around 10 -15 minutes by taxi (depending on traffic)
• Approximately 30-35 minutes from airport (around RM110 one way)
• No decent restaurants in immediate surroundings
• Off a busy street (travellers with young children need to be careful as the traffic stops for no one!)
• Be wary of “private taxi” peddlers just outside the hotel who try to sell you a “good fare” to your destination. My advice is – keep walking until you see a licenced taxi (which is often cheaper)
• Corridors, elevators are all smoking zones – cigarette smoke will hit you the minute you walk out of your room.
• Radio automatically turns on at a high volume the minute you enter your room (you will have to make a quick dash to turn it off). This not really a bad thing – but can be annoying.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Cheap Tickets and Ctrip TA so you can book your Crystal Orange Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Crystal Orange
- Crystal Orange Hangzhou