“Over priced and poor service” 2 of 5 stars

Horizon Hotel Yunnan
No.432 Qingnian Road, Wuhua District, Kunming 650021, China   |
Ranked #46 of 1,003 Hotels in Kunming
Bethesda, Maryland
“Over priced and poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

The hotel employed the bait and switch tactic. They showed us a big room when we booked but gave us a small and shabby room when we checked in. The door of its closet cannot even be opened. After we complained, they switched us to a big room but a smoking room even though we specified a non-smoking room. The carpet is dirty and light is dingy. Staff are unprofessional and untrained. They speak poor English.
They charge a 5 star rate with a 2 star quality.
We stayed at a 3 star hotel in Vietnam (Essence, Hanoi) and it is far better then this one.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Ventura, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

I write this based on having gone directly from the JW Marriott in Shenzhen China, to the New Era Hotel in Kunming, to this hotel. Obviously the standards associated with JW Marriott and that chain are much different then this, and many other hotels in China. I found that according to the locals, this is a very nice hotel (not at the same level of Green Lake Hotel) but nonetheless, a place that most chinese locals consider high standards.

I stayed in this hotel for 10 days, and found that in general it was okay. The rooms were small, and the beds small and hard, but there were many amenities in the facility, including a work out room, a club upstairs, a decent lobby area, and some clothing shops next to the lobby. I believe that the greatest value associated with this hotel was the location. Not too far from the center plaza, in the city center, and within a few minutes walking, movie theatre, shopping, Kareoke and those things.

The service was okay, the staff had limited understanding of english (I speak basic Mandarin, so that was not a problem). The morning breakfast, which you get as part of the package, was okay as well, nothing spectacular, but not too bad. I did try room service one night, late at night, and that was something of a challenge in trying to order through the phone (face to face, my mandarin worked, but through the phone, different story), and that fact that some of the items on the menu were not available.

Did not see any other non-Chinese at all during my stay at this hotel, which was fine by me. Things in the lobby were not cheap i.e. coffee, mixed drinks etc, but guess to be expected in a hotel. They do have some talented players of chinese instruments in the lobby, which was nice entertainment.

There is decent taxi service right outside the front of the hotel, sometimes a challenge getting them to stop but that is part of the experience (along with taking your life in your hand by walking, what with complete lack of regard for pedestrians by either cars or motorbike drivers).

Thought the cost was somewhat high for the overall stay, but.....

All in all, would go back to this location again (and in fact, I am on 27 January).

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Jakarta, Indonesia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

Hotel lobby looks like 5 stars hotel. When you get into the room it is 3 stars hotel. Bathroom very small just like 3 stars hotel. Even some 3 stars hotel bathroom better than this hotel. If you expect 5 stars hotel, don't stay at this hotel. I just don't know how they give this hotel 5 stars..

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2010

For the amount I paid for those hotel, I can actually get a better choice (which I did later). Granted that this hotel is not a hell-hole and it's somewhat adequate, I must say it failed in many aspects and reeks of state-owned enterprise inefficiency and nonchalance.

The room is actually very tired-looking and the corridors and the lobby dimly-lit with lots of cigarette smoke, whether it's a smoke-free level or otherwise doesn't seem to matter. The bed was hard but not comfortable like those hard beds I'd slept on. Design is standard, nothing to shout about and actually reminds me of the 2 or 3-star outfits I'd visited in other parts of China. The bathroom was also small and looks like something out of the 1980s, so there's really nothing to be shout about here either.

The worst aspect is perhaps its service standard at the front desk. Check-in was fine, but my check-out was at 6.30 am as I needed to catch an early flight. There was a group of Americans who apparently were also rushing to catch an early flight. But there was only one half-asleep staff at the counter trying to complete all the check-out procedure. Not good at all, and as it stretched to more then 20 mins for me to wait in the queue, I had no choice but to tell the staff to charge my credit card accordingly, which has been placed as a guarantee earlier. And off I went.

About six days later when I returned to to Kunming after the end of my tour to other places, I returned to the hotel to clarify the payment which should have been done on the last day. The staff at the counter took 45 mins to find my records, even though I presented my passport and my credit card, and throughout the time, I thanked her at least 20 times in order to make sure she does the checking for me willingly. But she pulled a long face as if I was being a nuisance, and even at the end of it it all, refused to smile. Weird that she's in the hospitality industry, and the rest of her colleagues were also equally sullen-looking.

Anyway, I got what I wanted and clarified the payment. I was just so glad that by then, I'd chosen another hotel which costs a tad more but miles better than the Horizon Hotel. This would be the last time, I suppose.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Shenzhen, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

The Horizon Hotel is officially a five star hotel, but service is far from it. Amazingly the last Non Chinese review was from 2006, so the overall score should be seen from a Chinese viewpoint.

Check-in / Check-out

Checkin took thirty minutes whilst staff wondered what to do with me - 13 staff behind the counter just giggled at the poor Lao Wai with not enough Chinese to check-in. Nobody behind the counter speaks English, so a long wait for a supervisor to translate was required. Check-out was about twenty minutes, whilst the staff member totted up and re-totted all the room and dining charges. Mastercard was a novelty for them too! The Chinese don't know how to queue, so the staff behind the counter are trying to do four things at once, whilst satsifying nobody!

Room

I had a business room on the 18th floor - the room has seen far far better days. The carpet was badly stained, and bed rock hard - ROCK hard. The TV had no western channels - CCTV News and Singapore News were the only non Mandarin Channels. The hotel apologised for this, but is nearly two months like this according to the message on the TV.

The bathroom was in poor condition, and probably needed resealing about three years ago. There were good amenities in the bathroom, and fluffy towels.

The room is badly sound-proofed, with single glazed windows, and paper thin door, resulting in car horn and 3am tour group screams from the hall-way.

The room has high speed internet, that doesnt work until you ring the reception, wait for someone who speaks English, who then switches it on for you! Pity they didnt explain that in the room. They then charge you for it!

Dining

The food quality in the hotel is poor, and expensive relative to other hotels in the city. The revolving resturaunt on the top floor is a novelty for about twenty seconds as the food does not live up to standards, served on chipped plates. The resturaunts are totally overstaffed, but service is slow and painful.

The breakfast buffet is big, but not very satisfying for non nationals. As the hotel is packed with tour groups expect to wait for a table, or have your table shared by a gaggle of tourists.

Amenities

There is a pool, 'night club' and KTV in the hotel. The night club is more of a family orientated stage show with knife swallowers, singers and dancers and is comfortable, but remarkably boring. There is a 100rmb minimum fee for entry.

Location

Excellent-ish. The hotel is very central, near good resturaunts and city amenities. It takes about thirty minutes in a taxi from the airport - cost about 20 RMB. Forget trying to get a taxi from the hotel in the evening rush - simply impossible as the hotel is neither dead central nor in the surburbs. From the airport the hotel is on a main road, requiring a two block back track, so if you have no bags, hop out on the far side of the main road.

Overall

If the hotel had three stars and a price to match, I would give this hotel a better score. But as a five star hotel, this hotel fails non locals. The excellent location is not matched by quality and service. The bed is rock hard, the room is tired and lacking international TV channels. Dining is poor, bar service slow, and checkout an experience not to be repeated.

I will not return to this hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Kuching, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2006

This 5-star hotel is located in the city centre, very close to the city square and all the shopping around it. The rooms are big and very clean and staff quite helpful, despite the fact most cannot speak English very well - if at all. My biggest complaint would be that I found the bed way too hard for my comfort. It was like sleeping on the floor! My travel-mates also complained about it. The television channel has over 30 channels, about 6 of them are in English. Which is more than most hotels I've stayed at around the world.

The hotel advertises a indoor swimming pool, bowling alley, games room, sauna and spa. I didn't check any of these out. I only checked out the Karaoke lounge and Nightclub. Both are very lavish and classy. I was uncomfortable with the 'Female Escorts' but some people may not feel that way.

The hotel is also connected to a Departmental store, which is convenient if you wish to do some shopping. Overall I found it quite a pleasant stay and would come back again.

• Liked — City Centre; clean
  • Disliked — Hard bed, non-english speaking staff
  • Stayed September 2006
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Horizon Hotel Yunnan? Share your experiences!