“Cigarette-smelling room with rock-hard beds” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Yunnan University Guesthouse

Yunnan University Guesthouse
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kunming
Yunnan University Guesthouse
You added Yunnan University Guesthouse to your Saves list
No. 2, Cuihu North Road, Kunming, China   |
Ranked #481 of 1,006 Hotels in Kunming
Perth, Australia
“Cigarette-smelling room with rock-hard beds”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

Yunda Guest House was my last resort when arriving in Kunming at 1.30 am recently to find my reserved hotel fully booked, and I was grateful for at least not having to sleep on the street. The only room left had three beds, so I had to pay for three people and was refunded more than half the cost again in the morning. My credit card was not accepted, so my meagre RMB funds took a blow to start with.
Yet the stink of old cigarette smoke hit like knives to the nose when I opened the door, and I found the wallpaper, mattress, bedcovers and pillows impregnated with the smell. The beds were too short for my 180 cm (5 ft 11) height, and rock-hard to boot. With the window open for ventilation (as the air-conditioning was also smoke-contaminated), the street outside my first-floor room was noisy all night with drunken passersby indulging in loud conversation and even singing, plus the occasional vehicle, so I lay awake longing for dawn to break.
The buffet breakfast, included in the tariff, was an interesting and quite palatable example of simple local cuisine -- the best thing I found about the establishment.
An early-morning stroll in the neighbourhood was pleasant, except for one corner at the end of a restaurant-lined street, strewn with rubbish (including used women's sanitary products) and a small fire belching out smoke from some discarded charcoal probably used for cooking or heating.
The staff member at the guest house's front desk seemed very unenthusiastic, but did finally help me to save some money on the return journey to the airport by noting down the local bus number and telling me where to change buses. That was a great bargain!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Families
Couples
Bogor Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

I stayed in this hotel for long period. Hotel is in nice location. It is near university and bunch of restaurants along the street from local resto to international restaurants. We could see many things going on outside hotel. However inside hotel I found quite so I would love to retun again to this hotel if one day I should return to Kunming.

However, they have very old carpet and as usual from old carpet it creates not good odor. Toilet is clean but if you stay long please remind the cleaning lady to change your bed sheet because if you dont you will have same sheet for loooong time. It is also chalengging most staff couldnt speak English, so even to ask how to connect internet I spent more in challenging time ... but overall this hotel is worth to stay.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Shanghai, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

I stayed here for 2 days in Jan. 2011. I was looking for a cheap room (which this was) in a good location (which this also was). The other guest houses we stayed at in the earlier portions of this trip were family owned/operated -- now I see the major difference in terms of service and care by attendant staff.

For example: I had a travel alarm clock that cannot keep time well (+/- 5 mins each day), so I left it on the counter in the room thinking the service staff may find use for it. Upon checkout, service staff was sent to my room to ensure all things were in order before returning my deposit -- it took her about 3 minutes. I was disappointed that the service staff did not flag that I had left the alarm clock in the room, in case that I had inadvertently forgotten.

The Good:
- Reasonable value room rate.
- Good location nearby to cafes, bars, and Yunnan University.

The Not So Good:
- No WiFi in Guest Rooms or Common Area.
- Poor/Rude Service by Reception Staff.
- No restaurant.
- Rooms did not have character. Typical dormitory.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo

Been to Yunnan University Guesthouse? Share your experiences!