“To stay, absolutely. But use other guide services” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Xian Apartments Guesthouse Hq

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Xi'an
Xian Apartments Guesthouse Hq
You added Xian Apartments Guesthouse Hq to your Saves list
Building A, Hong Cheng International Apartment Complex, Xi Hua Men, Xi'an 710003, China   |
Ranked #2 of 506 Xi'an B&B and Inns
Washington
“To stay, absolutely. But use other guide services”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

This place is perfect for 2+ families or 1 family with at 4+ travellers. Clean, large and very centrally located. While the owner is not on site (at least when we were planning the trip and in Xi'an), all correspondences were very quick and knowledgeable. Owner's parents are there on site and are nice.

The location really can't be beat and its a nice local feel. Walking distance to many of the sites you want to see.

I would recommend the pick up airport transfer, along with the museum tour that is near the airport. It may be hard to find the place (but not impossible), so having a guide/driver who knows exactly where to go is best at the start of your trip.

For other sightseeing in Xi'an... I think there are much better options. One, you can do yourself as others have noted. But if you want a guide... go with a guide with years of experience in Xi'an or is from Xi'an and has stories to share from living life here. Alice is a nice girl. But she is young and only has been a tour guide under 5 years and is not from Xi'an or the province. I imagine that those who are novice to travelling or in China are just grateful for an English speaking guide... which I can appreciate. But she very much is a "state what I learned from a history book or saw on a plaque on a previous trip" guide. And that's how much of the discussion was. Never shared much about culture or city life unless we asked. Never -engaging- with us. Her only proactive discussions was to share "this building is x" and "the history behind is y". So for all the comments on the property's website about high value and quality tour (and also in the apartment), I don't feel the same.

I also didn't care for the fact that we asked to stop for coffee before heading on the long drive, and we were told no. Then the next day, we should have had 1.5 hours maximum at the city wall before we headed to the airport, and we were told "20 minutes". I didn't push it, but Alice was very much on a schedule and didn't care about our preference... so we just ate lunch at the airport.

This, plus a few other things that would just be hammering the point home... I think you can find better quality tour guides in Xi'an... and my recommendation would be to find one that is from Xi'an or lived many years in Xi'an, and has been a tour guide for many years.... experience counts!

But for the apartment stay... absolutely. Do consider staying here. It is comfortable, has air-con, so close to everything, great for a larger group travelling.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
hqhostel, Owner at Xian Apartments Guesthouse Hq, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
HI there
Thanks for your feedback, we are glad you enjoyed your stay at our apartments.
Of course we are sorry to hear that you were not more than satisfied with our guide Alice. I would just like to clarify for other readers that Alice is one of 3 guides we employ and has only very recently started working for us. We consider having lived and studied in Xian for almost 8 years more than enough to be considered a local, and 5 years tour guide experience is pretty good in our book for the prices we can offer.
Obviously we will be reminding all our guides about flexibility and how to engage with visitors in a more absorbing fashion. However I believe it is the tour guide’s job to inform about the historical aspects of what you are seeing first and foremost. Every one has a different opinion about the function, and here I would gently point out that Alice had only received positive feedback from our guests previously.
About the airport drop off, I think it is more concern about getting you there on time as opposed to not caring about your preferences. Traffic in Xian can be hectic to say the least and we would hate to have you late to the airport.
Also, I would like to point out that we have in no way misrepresented our tours or guide’s ability on either our website or in the apartments.
I hope everyone can take the time to read through the comments here on Trip Advisor which do point out how excellent our guides are, and how thoroughly our tours are enjoyed.
We also further encourage guests to give Mei a call during the actual tour if something is not up to the standard they are expecting so any issues can be resolved on the spot.
I do again apologise however that you did not feel satisfied with your tour, and I appreciate you pointing it out. Through your feedback we can improve the Xian experiences for our future guests

Cheers

Hq

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Ban Patong, Phuket, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

First of all I'd like to thank the many Trip Advisor Members who took the time to review these apartments and provide a heads up.
Five adults and a 3 1/2 year old. The two bedroom apartment was roomy, clean, comfortable, perfectly situated and managed by the most friendly people, Mei's mum and dad, with help from Alice. Mei's assistance and advice on the net was much appreciated. Bell Tower, Drum Tower, The Great Mosque and the Muslim Quarter all within a 10 minute walk. I'd guess that it's a 20 minute walk to South Gate of the city wall. I recommend the airport transfers. Excellent service and safe drivers. Functional kitchen was well used by our group. All in all we had a superb time in Xi'an. A beautiful city, wonderful history, great food and shopping, and such friendly people.
I recommend a holiday there and my advice is to seriously consider staying at these great apartments.

Rainbow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

As a family of five with 3 children aged 10, 9 and 7, this was a good place to stay, and certainly value for money. Firstly, the location (once you get over the fact that you do have to go down a poorly lit street to get here) is brilliant. You are certainly walking distance to the Bell and Drum Towers as well as the Muslim Quarter. We also walked to the South Gate. The apartment was comfortable with everything we needed. The bathroom was a bit pongy (drain problems I expect) but otherwise fine. The kitchen was well equipped, though the fridge was a bit small. The beds could have been better (the top bunk has no safety guard), and wifi would have been handy. Mei was fantastic in the way she helped us overcome a couple of logistical problems we were facing, and Mei's mother (at least I think it was her mother) is a complete dear.

Overall I would definitely recommend this place to anyone, but especially families.

I would also recommend cycling the city walls, a great family outing. We bought baguettes and cheese at a supermarket under the bell tower, washed down with beer and softdrinks readily available on the wall.

Can I also say that the terracotta warriors can be done by public bus for 20 yuan per person return, plus entrance fee. Get a bus to the train station, then get the 306 to the warriors, and hire an official guide there for 150 yuan. Getting there is harder than getting back, but don't give up.

The big Wild goose pagoda can also be done by bus (610) caught between the drum and bell towers.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Thanks a lot for helping us a lot with the excellent tour guide, Alice, and the helpful aunt, May's mom. We were glad we were picked up by Alice and the driver as soon as possible when we arrived. The next three days are enjoyable! The apartment is so big, clean as well as the brilliant location just a few minutes to cover the nearby scenic spots like Bell Tower, Drum Tower, XI'AN Great Mosque by walking. We enjoyed all the places that Alice lead us to. Among them, Terra Qutta Warriers was definitely the best one. The factory was such an intersting place where was the best place to do shopping stuff (name forgotten, the guide will tell you). My little son was so tired that we had to choose the restaurant in the Warriors Country which was close to the Museum but the food were good. Very pitty for missing the silk factory. (by the way, I am a big fan of Chinese culture). In summary: I did have a good memory and enjoy the family tour very much. The driver was good and Alice had a good English. Thanks for everything.

Hamilton, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

We (myself, husband and two daughters 11 and 9) were picked up at the airport by a driver which was great as we arrived late at night. We were met at the apartment by the owner's mum and our guide Alice. The next day we slept late then walked up to the Bell Tower. That day we also went to the Muslim quarter, the mosque and the drum tower. Very easy to do by yourself. The owners mum did our laundry which was great as we have been travelling a lot.
The next day we went to the terracotta warriors with Alice and a driver. Just to add that we never do tours like this when travelling - this was our first one. I don't think this was the best tour as we ended up in 3 places where they were there to sell us stuff: a terracotta factory which was interesting but also a silk factory (not good at all) and a tourist area added on to our trip to the great goose pagoda where we had the opportunity to buy paintings. We would have preferred to be asked. That beside the tour itself was good - the driver was fantastic and Alice had good English and information. Perhaps we should have just hired a driver?

The following day we cycled the city walls - just caught a tuk tuk there and then walked back to the bell tower and ate. We had left our luggage at the apartment and Mei's mum was incredibly patient while we sorted out the final things in our suitcases in preparation for the train to Beijing.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
hqhostel, Owner at Xian Apartments Guesthouse Hq, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
HI there

Thank you for the feedback and overview of your stay in Xian, we certainly appreciate your fair and balanced description. I wanted to take this opportunity to offer our apologies to you and your family concerning the “add ons”.

Just to clarify for the readers, everyone is informed about the Terra Cotta Warriors factory before the tour, and given the option not to visit if they so desire. For the Silk Factory, it is located at the site where lunch is provided and entirely optional to visit or not. As such it is not actually a diversion away from the tour route. We will be more clear about this in future.

I will say though that many people, especially those with kids, do find it extremely interesting, however I certainly accept it may not be for everyone. We do hope you didn’t feel forced into the visit. Again sorry for any confusion here and we hope it didn’t impact the overall positive experience too much.

In regards to the shop you visited inside the Big Goose Pagoda, unfortunately our guide did not follow procedure here and we have informed her that this is not correct way to conduct the excursion. We completely agree that you should have been asked, and do appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

On a more positive note, I would also like to emphasize your point about jumping in a tuk tuk to one of the gates of the wall. I encourage everyone to try this for visiting anywhere within the city walls. It is a great way to experience the city and get a feel for daily life. They are easy to get from the Muslim Quarter and generally a great bit of fun.

Hope the readers can bear in mind that prices initially quoted by most drivers should be considered an opening salvo, and in no way set in stone. It is possible to get trips very cheap, but that may take a bit of negotiating time. As a rule of thumb 20 rmb should be absolute maximum for anywhere within the walls (per trip, not per person) and this should be made clear before commencing your journey (both that it is per trip, AND in Chinese currency)

Remember if you have any troubles with this, we offer a free mobile phone to all our guests so they contact an English and Chinese speaker to clarify the situation, so feel free to use it if you want to clarify with driver at the start.

As a final note, thanks again for your feedback, we are continuously looking to improve and this will assist us with that endeavour no end.
Cheers Hq
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

We really enjoyed our four days in this apartment. It was very spacious and clean and conveniently located close to the Muslim quarter and not too far from metro stations. Staying in a genuine local apartment was a good change from the hotels used during our month long stay in China. We were met at the railway station by Alice and welcomed to the apartment by Mei's lovely and helpful mother. Alice also accompanied us to Mt Huashan and to the Tang Dynasty Dumpling Dinner and Dance show. Xi'an is a huge city so it was great to have such a central location.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Evesham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed in a 2 bed apartment for two nights in April 2013. We were met at the airport by a driver arranged by the owner of the apartment and met at the apartments by Alice and Mei's mum. The apartment is in a brilliant location just a few minutes walk from the Muslim Quarter and an easy ten minute walk to the Bell Tower and twenty minutes to the south gate of the city wall where we hired bikes. Mei's mum helped with laundry, 20 Yuan for a machine load, which is a great help when travelling with children. There was also space enough in the apartment to dry it. I confess to being fussy but this apartment was very clean. Our only hitch, on arrival, was to realise that we had a two bedroom apartment with two double beds (one super king), when we had made a booking for five people. Never the less, Mei's mum was quick to offer solutions and leant us extra bedding. Our ten year old slept on the large sofa, so no problem in the end. In summary: great, clean apartment in fabulous location.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Xian Apartments Guesthouse Hq? Share your experiences!