“Great stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Xian Apartments Guesthouse Hq

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Xi'an
Xian Apartments Guesthouse Hq
Save Saved
You added Xian Apartments Guesthouse Hq to your Saves list
Building A, Hong Cheng International Apartment Complex, Xi Hua Men, Xi'an 710003, China   |
Ranked #3 of 106 Xi'an B&B and Inns
Ljubljana, Slovenia
“Great stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

We were 2 families with small kids and the 2 apartments we rented were perfect for us with separate bedrooms. The location is central with buses nearby, bell tower and muslim quarters within 5-10 min walking. Highly recommended!
They also provided transportation to Hua mountain and airport for a reasonable price.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

85 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

I am 12 and I booked the HQ Guest House by my self.
My family and I loved it. It was well located and the Guest House was clean.
They pick you up from airport or train station (free pick up).The beds were perfect.
You will feel welcome and the are kind and helpful.
Steven

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

Our group of 7 rented 2 apartments (1 bdrm unit and 2 bdrm unit respectively) for 4 nights in March 2012. We were attracted by the location, the large space and the reasonable prices. We also booked 4 tours with private car/guide.

Booking was very smooth. All inquiries answered promtly and to our surprise, no deposit required to secure the units. As promised, we were met at the train station by Sandy (who was to be our tour guide) and taken to the apartment. Sandy spoke English fluently, was professional, polite and attentive throughout our time with her (review of the tours on another post). I would recommend booking at least a half day's walking tour with HQ - well worth it just to get an introduction to all the delicious food at the Muslim Quarter.

As advertised, the apartment was 3 min walking distance to the Muslim Quarter. This was highly convenient as the Muslim Quarter is 'the place to go' for food. We navigated home by looking at the Drum and Bell Towers. We felt quite safe walking home quite late into the night even though we had to go through an alley to get to the apartment unit. A block into the alley from the main road is a hole in wall convenience store and the apartment units had security guards.

Upon arrival at the apartment, Aunty Yang (Mei's mom) greeted us warmly at the door and offered to help us with the luggage. Once we settled in, we 'settled up' and were provided with business cards, cell phone, and maps of attractions. Both apartments were spacious and well furnished.

It was quite cold in Xian but the units were warm with radiant heating. Our 2 bdrm unit only had a electric hotplate but our friends' 1 bdrm had a full stove. Didn't use the kitchens much because we wanted to try all the ethnic specialities available to us in Xi'an. However, the bottled water unit (with heated dispenser) was a godsend for coffee/tea/midnight instant noodles. Our unit's internet was wired which we didn't bother with. To check email/use the internet, we went to our friend's unit down the hall that had wifii or just stood in the hallway in front of their unit. Our children enjoyed the dvds provided. Ample linen was provided.

Cleanliness: I read some other posts about cleanliness and felt that I should give a balanced opinion. The landlords do try to keep the units clean and I noticed that Aunty Yang comes in to tidy up each day (even though this is a self-catering unit). However, they are limited by a) the water in Xi'an which left tend to leave scales on bathroom fixtures, b) the construction in the city which made things dusty very quickly (we certainly trekked dust and mud back each day), and c) the quality of construction in China. Don't know what they can do about the scales except eventually replace the fixtures. Shower is very similar to other showers in Asia and Europe. Plenty of hot water. There was a faint sewer smell emanting from the drain on the shower floor each morning. This is due to the lack of U-joints in Chinese plumbing which is prevalent (some 4 star hotels in China over 3 years old not built/managed by foreign companies has the same smell). Just light a match or an incense stick and the smell will be gone. And disposing of toilet paper in the bin instead of flusing down the toilet - an adjustment but that is the reality of millions of people. We had a minor incident of a screw coming off in one of the radiators suddenly. We decided to mop up and tightened the little screw rather than call our landlord. Aunty Yang was very thankful and immediately called in someone to check on the radiators. We wanted our children to have cultural experience of living in a home and that often entailed working out some kinks on our own.

About our landlords: Mei's parents were a cute retired couple who lived at another unit on the same floor. Aunty Yang was especially sweet. The laundry was self-serve (at 20 RMB) but she was very kind and hung up our clothes for us. She offered us buns on arrival and then bought us these awesome hot crispy Chinese donuts one morning. When I said I really liked them, she bought more (along with fresh hot soya milk) for our farewell breakfast. Sandy was very helpful when I got lost and called her one evening.

All in, staying HQ Guesthouse was a great experience for our group and I would definitely recommend it for anyone who want to feel like they are staying in a place with friends rather than at a hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Xiamen, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

This was my second visit to Xi'an over the past year, before with friends/co-workers this visit was with my parents. I was very glad we chose to stay here. The location and the wonderful staff make it a wonderful Xi'an choice. Also, because there were three adults, this was a very affordable option without needing to book two hotel rooms (many Xi'an hotels say they will not add a cot or anything to a room).

The location is fantastic - minutes from the Muslim Quarter, so close to food, shopping, and many main sights in Xi'an. One warning: it is back down some smaller, dark streets. Although there were always people coming in and out there, if I had been on my own I might have taken a rickshaw in (as I saw some single women doing).

The staff is wonderful - helpful, accomodating, and Sandy made a great (and we feel reasonablly priced) guide for our Terra Cotta Warriors tour (the tour does include two 'shopping' stops, but we found them interesting and informative too, with artists to see at work at one and seeing the silk process at the other). We had them arrange our airport transportation. They were cheaper than the taxi I took the last time I was in Xi'an, plus then we knew they'd know where we were going, which could be difficult to explain otherwise if you don't speak good Mandarin.

The space you get in the apartment is great. We were in the two-bedroom. Nice couch to lounge on, a sunroom/laundry area (had it been warmer), one larger room, one a little smaller, but both with wardrobes and beds that can accomodate two people.

As to facilities: the bathroom is a normal Chinese apartment bathroom - so, all one room, not full separation like we are used to in Western countries. I was okay with this, since I've lived in China for awhile, it did bother my parents that everything got wet. The kitchen is fine - it covers the basics. I was actually surprised by all we got - they have instant coffee, tea, and towels all provided. Mei's mother also brought us fresh fruit after we asked about where to go buy some ourselves. We were there at the heart of winter, so it was cold. They have heaters and offered us an extra one for while we there. With them and the blankets, we were fine, but the smaller bedroom in particular did get fairly cold.

Great, spacious place with a wonderful staff!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Vancouver, B.C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

The HQ guesthouse is located about 3 minutes away from the Muslim quarter. We were greeted by Mei's friend Sandy and Mei's mother at the metro station. We had taken the train from Louyang and took the metro into the city since it's much cheaper than a taxi. 3 Yuan each. The metro is about 5 minutes from the HQ.

The apartments are located in a fairly new residential complex. The apartment is fully furnished except there is no microwave. We had a 2 bedroom apartment which was huge.

The bathroom is tiny compared to the rest of the apartment and there isn't a separate shower area, the water runs all over the floor requiring you to mop up after wards. Also there is a good selection of dvd's and cd's for use but why not add a tv to the wall? There is more than enough space for a tv.

The internet access was hit and miss, sometimes it was really fast but other times it would take forever to get on. Same issue with wifi.

Sandy and Mei's mother were very helpful with any questions we had about Xian or the apartment.

Would definitely stay here again if I was in Xian.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

The perfect combination of price and quality. Modern apartment in a residential building in the heart of the city, close to the Muslim quarter (5 minutes by walk). Apartments are large, with a kitchen, balcony and free internet. The hosts are very attentive people. During our stay they supplied us with a map, a mobile phone for local calls.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

As a family of two adults and one 5 year old child, we stayed here for 3+ nights in early December. All communications prior to turning up were with some called Mei. The website indicates that the place is run by Mei and her NZ born husband, Todd. However, we were met on arrival at Xian train station by someone called "Sandy" who is a "friend" of Mei's. She turned out to be our landlady, "fixer", and tourguide throughout our stay. It turns out Mei and Todd live in Australia, and "Sandy" and Mei's mother "Aunty" (who speaks no English but is an amiable presence) run the operation. We had a 1 bedroom apartment which is conveniently located in a residential building for 400 RMB. It is pretty okay, and if you're used to backpacker places furnished with stuff found on street corners, you'll love this place. If you're used to more lavishly furnished places, you probably won't. "Sandy" was our guide for a tour of the Terracotta Warriors and she was very friendly and knowledgeable about the history of the site.

Problems arose when we asked "Sandy" to buy us soft sleeper train tickets in the same compartment (we are a family and understably wanted to sleep together) from Xian to Datong (at 50 RMB commission per ticket). Instead she bought us hard sleep not train tickets not in the same compartment from Xian to Pingyao (yeah, she stuffed up). Luckily we were amenable to the change in itinerary and agreed to accept them, and in turn "Sandy" agreed to come to the train station as she said she had contacts on the train (her brother in law) that could get us in the same compartment. On arrival at the train station, "Sandy" revealed she had no such contacts, and that she was happy to "write us a note" in Mandarin that we could show to fellow compartment dwellers in the hope of getting someone to switch. Understandably we were pretty annoyed at this point (she had got us the wrong tickets, promised us she could fix it, and then changed her story at the last minute and wanted to dump us) and on confronting her, "Sandy" changed her mind. On boarding the train again luckily "Sandy" found someone to switch compartments, and so ended our involve with HQ Guesthouse. Did we enjoy Xian and the Terracotta Warriors? Sure. Is HQ Guesthouse acceptable accommodation? Sure, if you're not fussy. Is the whole operation really dodgy? You betcha!

Room Tip: Don't treat the word of "Sandy" as gospel.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
hqhostel, Owner at Xian Apartments Guesthouse Hq, responded to this review, January 17, 2012
Hi there
While we certainly appreciate your candid review I do think you are a bit off the mark here with some of your comments. There is certainly no subterfuge here… Particularly this comment I found a little strange
“All communications prior to turning up were with some called Mei. The website indicates that the place is run by Mei and her NZ born husband, Todd. “
Sorry what is the problem here? Yes we are currently in Australia though we return to Xian regularly throughout the year (next trip will be in April, May and June 2012). Mei organises all bookings and arranges everything even when we are not in Xian. Lets be clear, we are the owners and we do run the place, even if this is done remotely at times. We established the business and worked 100% onsite for the last 5 years and now feel we are entitled to some travel ourselves.
When we are away the operations are over seen by 2 people – Mei’s mum (who doesn’t speak English but is incredibly welcoming and a fantastic cook. I would go so far to say you couldn’t find a better host) and Sandy who is the manager. You state here that Sandy is “friend” of Mei and calls Mei’s mum Aunty. I would just like to explain that Sandy is too modest to call herself manager and in Chinese everyone is a friend and all elderly people are referred to as aunty as a form of respect. Your review makes a great travel story but could we please try to stick to the facts…
Sandy is the interface when Mei and I are not around. All guests are given free use of a mobile phone to call Sandy or Mei 24 hours a day if there are any problems. We have set the phone number so anyone can call Mei at no cost if they need to talk to someone other than Sandy. We believe it is an incredibly convenient service we offer to be frank. How many other places do you get met for free at the train station (and dropped off at 10.00pm), taken to the accommodation, given a free cup of coffee or tea and provided with a mobile phone for free to use anytime day or night if you have the slightest problem?
Now personally I found this part rather insulting “ if you're used to backpacker places furnished with stuff found on street corners, you'll love this place – a bit harsh surely? For example do you get a brand new computer with super fast broadband at your local backpackers with 70 – 100 m apartments? None that I am aware of… and nor are they found on street corners as rule
About the train ticket debacle I am not going to try to defend that. You are right we did “stuff up” and I do apologise. Getting train tickets in China can be an absolute nightmare and offering this service has bought us more problems than any other aspect of the business to be completely honest. In fact for 3 years we refused to offer the service for precisely the reason you state here – it is actually impossible to guarantee that we can get the exact tickets you require, particularly when trying to organise one whole compartment. However as a courtesy to our guests we have decided to try our best with it. Generally speaking train tickets are a lottery and Sandy should have spelled this out more clearly. Again I apologise for that, though I do believe the $7/ ticket commission we charge is fairly reasonable for the service.
I hope this clears things up and as I am sure you will now see our operation is in fact a model of transparency. Not sure what you mean by “Don’t treat the word Sandy as gospel? “ What are you implying here? Sandy has been working for us more than 3 years and you will see from the other reviews here she has done an outstanding job. Her only mistake being not being able to get you the tickets you wanted. For a third time, I sincerely apologise for that.

Been to Xian Apartments Guesthouse Hq? Share your experiences!