“Good Value Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Xi'an Fukai Hotel

You added Xi'an Fukai Hotel to your Saves list
Xi'an Fukai Hotel
No.27 Nanxin Street, Xincheng District, Xi'an 710001, China (Xincheng District)   |
Ranked #182 of 2,156 Hotels in Xi'an
Vancouver, BC, Canada
“Good Value Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2008

This was a very good value hotel for me. The regular price, at least posted at the front desk, was about $100 USD - I ended up paying about half that by booking through the Chinese website ctrip.com.

My room (823) was clean and modern. I suspect the renovations were done within the last two years. The bathroom is a little tight, but there is adequate counterspace and the rainfall showerhead was certainly a nice touch. Like many Chinese hotels, the Fukai hotel beds are very firm. If you're a light sleeper - heck, if you can't sleep through construction noises - you may want to request a room that faces the inner courtyard because the Fukai is near a government building and they blare the music, which includes the national anthem (2X), at about 6:00AM every morning. And, if you don't like the smell of dumplings, I'd avoid the street facing side of the hotel - for some reason, my room always smelled like dumplings (pork and chives).

Speaking of food, the breakfast buffet on the weekend was included in the price (it's 30 CNY per extra person). The food was average, but there's a pretty good selection of both Chinese and Western food.

Fukai Hotel is centrally located within Xi'an's old city. A major shopping area is about two blocks away and the historical sites, such as the Bell and Drum Towers and the Muslim Quarter, are well within walking distance. I definitely recommend heading to the South Gate where you can rent a bicycle and ride around on the14km city wall.

I recommend this hotel if you can get it for about 350 CNY or $50 USD per night.

• Liked — Price and location
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Devon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2007

Firstly I must state that I have stayed at many hotels in China so feel my review is fair!

My wife and I stayed here as an aside on a business trip to see the terracotta soldiers, we visited here with a Cninese friend who booked the hotel direct and could deal with any problems (so we thought)

I will compile problems as a list:-

1. Room was premium grade, this meant paying for water that was free in standard rooms.

2. Room was littered with items for sale, ranging from condoms by the bedside to spare packs of underpants! (more on this later)

3. Dirty carpet (see my images) very poor finish to who room, TV just hanging on the wall etc etc.

4. Bed was SOLID. took our friend and 15 minute argument to get another duvet to put on the bed.

5. Breakfast was ONLY Chinese, no bread, no tea, and service pathetic.

6. NOISE! the prostitutes giving customers value for money during the nights (hence the condoms!) hotels security breaking up a party in the early hours, and the call to prayer speakers outside our room......................

7. the hotel bar only sells green tea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Our friend asked the hotel to book a guide and car for a trip, they supplied an unregistered guide and a private car in terrible state, it took our friend an hour of arguments to sort that mess out!

Thanks enough ranting, but needs to be said....

• Liked — When we left!
  • Disliked — All of it!
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2007

This simple, no-frill hotel is situated in a quiet area off the main street about a 20 minute walk to the muslim quarters and center of town. The room was clean and comfortable, the staff were pleasant and polite. There was one restaurant in the hotel that was empty of customers most of the time. Overall, we had no complaints.

• Liked — Comfortable place to stay
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2007

I booked this hotel via a travel chinese website, only really bothered about the location and the price of the room. I only stayed one night as I was in Xi'an just for a weekend trip. I was prepared to rough it a bit, but I was well impress when I got to the place, and I'm the one who didn't feel up to the hotel standard! Anyway, the hotel is just off the main roads and it's a very clean and modern place. The room was very nice with everything you expect from a decent western hotel. Staff was welcoming too. Definitely good place to stay in Xi'an.

Stayed November 2006

Been to Xi'an Fukai Hotel? Share your experiences!