“It's a pain to stay here” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Xi'an Fukai Hotel

Save Saved
You added Xi'an Fukai Hotel to your Saves list
Xi'an Fukai Hotel
No.27 Nanxin Street, Xincheng District, Xi'an 710001, China (Xincheng District)   |
Ranked #181 of 2,042 hotels in Xi'an
New Delhi, India
“It's a pain to stay here”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

We had a misfortune of been stuck with this hotel when we recently visited Xi'an to see the Terra-cotta warriors. The rooms are below average, amenities poor, carpet unheigenic and choice for food and internet connection limited.

One evening was bad enough experience for us.

If you can't speak chinese, be a thousand miles away from this place!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

67 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Paris
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2010

Went to Xian, not expecting a lot but was duly surprised by the standard of the hotel. Believed that they have renovated the property recently, so it is clean and new. Breakfast was another surprise though the staff don't speak English. Their supervisor does, so it was a great help

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2010

All in all, my worse impression was right in this city. There was a lot of cab touting and everyone sounds like they want to fleece you when it come to transport. Hence it is important to stay in Xi'an you should try to get a hotel within walking distance to major places.

The room a deluxe suite was acceptable clean but bed was exactly like how the emperors and empress used to sleep on.. hard as stone. We had a bad experience on our last day where they have heater problem and hence no hot water for bathing. Not good because they were not at all apologetic. Otherwise the room was acceptable and I wont complain because we paid a good deal on C trip for the stay. Breakfast was chinese fare and even we being Chinese was not totally accustomed to all the taste.

We hire a cab using the lobby's tour agency and it was really bad. Their driver took us to some lousy place and insist we used this lady for our guided tour in terracotta who rushed us through the exhibits despite our constant pleas. My hubby was really pissed with the recommendation.

Upside is this place full of touts hence having a hotel nearby to the city is great. We probably took only 15 mins to the Muslim Quaters, Bell Tower and restaurants/shops. There is also a night market along the shopping street that open at about 4pm and close at 10pm selling all sorts. However I wont recommend caucasians who is bad with maps to take this hotel. You can literally asked no one for directions and I guided an elderly couple who took me to be some tout when I offered to show them the way. I wont blame them because it is rampant there.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Shanghai, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2009

This Hotel is a perfect alternative to the expensive chain-hotels. Conveniently located within the City walls everything is easy to reach by foot, bicycle or taxi. The rooms are good, not the biggest, but everything you need when you stay in Xi'an. The breakfast offers western standards. The staff is nice, though largely chinese-speaking only and service could be better, but also worse.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

Used this hotel during short 2 day visit to Xian. It was found for me by my Chinese associates and turned out to be a good choice for a short city visit.

The Fukai is right in the heart of the city. You can walk to Drum Tower, Bell Tower and Muslin Street in about 15 mins. The main shopping street is 5 mins away with all the restaurants etc. The drive to the Warriors site took us about 45 mins by car. There is a small tourist office in the lobby

The hotel is not set up specifically for Western tourists but the staff were very helpful and really enjoyed speaking English. The rooms are modern and look new and very clean and a lttle funky. They have a modular glass bathroom ( no bath in my room just a shower) arrangement which is unusual, flat screen TV and PC in the room with free internet connection which was useful.

The food was okay, breakfast was basic and the dinners typical Chinese but has picture menu so you will not starve. One note of caution the hotel does not change currency but there are plenty of banks and cash machines about. The room rate was very reasonable for the the standard of hotel. I paid about $45 per night.

I would recomend this hotel for a short vist to Xian but not as a permanent base for the area if you are staying a week or so. Good value for money and good location.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Vancouver, BC, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2008

This was a very good value hotel for me. The regular price, at least posted at the front desk, was about $100 USD - I ended up paying about half that by booking through the Chinese website ctrip.com.

My room (823) was clean and modern. I suspect the renovations were done within the last two years. The bathroom is a little tight, but there is adequate counterspace and the rainfall showerhead was certainly a nice touch. Like many Chinese hotels, the Fukai hotel beds are very firm. If you're a light sleeper - heck, if you can't sleep through construction noises - you may want to request a room that faces the inner courtyard because the Fukai is near a government building and they blare the music, which includes the national anthem (2X), at about 6:00AM every morning. And, if you don't like the smell of dumplings, I'd avoid the street facing side of the hotel - for some reason, my room always smelled like dumplings (pork and chives).

Speaking of food, the breakfast buffet on the weekend was included in the price (it's 30 CNY per extra person). The food was average, but there's a pretty good selection of both Chinese and Western food.

Fukai Hotel is centrally located within Xi'an's old city. A major shopping area is about two blocks away and the historical sites, such as the Bell and Drum Towers and the Muslim Quarter, are well within walking distance. I definitely recommend heading to the South Gate where you can rent a bicycle and ride around on the14km city wall.

I recommend this hotel if you can get it for about 350 CNY or $50 USD per night.

• Liked — Price and location
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Devon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2007

Firstly I must state that I have stayed at many hotels in China so feel my review is fair!

My wife and I stayed here as an aside on a business trip to see the terracotta soldiers, we visited here with a Cninese friend who booked the hotel direct and could deal with any problems (so we thought)

I will compile problems as a list:-

1. Room was premium grade, this meant paying for water that was free in standard rooms.

2. Room was littered with items for sale, ranging from condoms by the bedside to spare packs of underpants! (more on this later)

3. Dirty carpet (see my images) very poor finish to who room, TV just hanging on the wall etc etc.

4. Bed was SOLID. took our friend and 15 minute argument to get another duvet to put on the bed.

5. Breakfast was ONLY Chinese, no bread, no tea, and service pathetic.

6. NOISE! the prostitutes giving customers value for money during the nights (hence the condoms!) hotels security breaking up a party in the early hours, and the call to prayer speakers outside our room......................

7. the hotel bar only sells green tea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Our friend asked the hotel to book a guide and car for a trip, they supplied an unregistered guide and a private car in terrible state, it took our friend an hour of arguments to sort that mess out!

Thanks enough ranting, but needs to be said....

• Liked — When we left!
  • Disliked — All of it!
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Xi'an Fukai Hotel? Share your experiences!