“Relative good hotel, but not for people without knowledge in Chinese language” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Xi'an City Hotel

Save Saved
You added Xi'an City Hotel to your Saves list
Xi'an City Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.70 South Street, Beilin District, Xi'an 710002, China   |
Ranked #241 of 2,154 Hotels in Xi'an
Vancouver, Canada
“Relative good hotel, but not for people without knowledge in Chinese language”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

This hotel was booked by the tour agency I had in Beijing and Xi’an. It was definitive a higher standard than the hotel in Beijing. It was very close to the Bell and Drum Towers and the Muslim quarter. But a very disadvantage in that horel was that nobody of the staff was able to speak reasonable English in order to have a meaningful conversation. This let for instance following the incident: The first morning I went to get my breakfast. When I was asked whether I want to have a Chinese one, I answered “Yes, Chinese”. But then I got served a clearly Western breakfast. I could easily compare since at a table beside me sat a Chinese customer with his clearly Chinese breakfast. When I tried to complain, nobody was able to understand me first. After about 10 min they realized what I wanted and gave me partially a Chinese Breakfast, but without soup and salad. After the breakfast I tried to complain at the service desk at entrance. But also there nobody was able to speak English. Later I communicated through my tour guide. And next day I got even the regular buffet.
The quality of the hotel had still no western standard. As other reviewers already wrote, the table cloths were old and not really well made, and the carpet in the room was also not that great. But it was over all clean and relative quiet.
Generally, I would recommend the hotel to people who are able to speak Chinese. For all others it is unfortunately not good unless at least some of the staff is able to speak English well.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Colombo, Sri Lanka
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Went only for dinner, there was a large selection of food, but was able to eat only a very few dishes as I'm not much into Chinese food.
Lovely restaurant, well decorated Chinese style, the service of the staff was o.k. but once again it was the language problem, fortunately we had a very nice English speaking guide to help us.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

It's just the pits. Worse than an out dated back packers. The bed was terrible the springs were showing through had to use a doona in the wardrobe to make it a little easier to sleep on. The dinning room was just as bad. Old table clothes that looked like old rags. Carpet has see better days. worn and very dirty. Had to run around in the shower to get wet and the water would not drain away thank goodness we only had to stay the one night. Just horrible. Give it a hug miss!!.

Room Tip: Just don't bother find some were else to stay.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Nuremberg, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

I stayed herre for 2 nights in September 2013. I was searching for a central, inexpensive place to stay and got it. The location is close to the bell tower. From there you can take busses to every direction in Xian. The room was o.K. The carpet is dirty, but I knew it before due the reviews I have read. The bed was comfy and the room was quite. Would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Tallinn, Estonia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Location is good, that´s the only reason why to choose this hotel. But the room was dirty and the old worn-out carpet.. nasty, just avoid it. Discusting. Needs renovation. Rats were running on the roof..

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We have just returned from a tour of China which was excellent all except this hotel which was abysmal. We like others checked the reviews for this hotel before travelling and because of mixed reviews thought we would take a chance and leave as was, what a mistake that was, we arrived late and as soon as we got into our room could see it was a mistake,we were too tired to leave that night but first thing next morning we informed the tour company and even said we would pay the extra cost to stay in another hotel for the second night (that was how bad it was we could not put up with it just for one more night)The room was shabby with paint peeling and wood rot on the skirting boards stains all over the carpets and we slept on top of the bed as did not want to get in the covers when we approached the staff they were uninterested to the point of we were just being moaners. We are regular travellers and do not expect 4/5* when we have booked 3* but this was not even 1* to date the worst hotel we have ever stayed in.This was the only hotel in China that we stayed in that does not change currency so please be aware if you do decide to book.
The only thing going for this hotel is its central location but if you have a tour this does not really apply as there are several other hotels in the area.
To repeat what others have posted do not stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: None that we would recommend
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Stay for 2 nights in a mini room (single room) in Spetember 2013. Hotel is typical old 3 star hotel. Since only paid about S$36 per night, it is rather cheap for such a good location. It is also sufficiently clean for a 3 star hotel but old. The shower is above the toilet bowl.

But part of the reason for booking this hotel is also that they have a fitness centre but I didn't use it in the end. The fitness centre is locked up at a level that is very very dark with no one at all on that level. I am supposed to go and take the key from somewhere. Thinking that I will be alone in that creepy level even if I get the key make me gave the gym a miss.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Been to Xi'an City Hotel? Share your experiences!