“A great place to stay but we don't recommend the buffet” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square

You added Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square to your Saves list
Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.319 Dongxin Street, Xincheng District, Xi'an 710004, China   |
Ranked #8 of 2,170 Hotels in Xi'an
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“A great place to stay but we don't recommend the buffet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2009

We stayed in room 71006 in this great hotel. The hotel is huge and is spread out over a large campus.

The biggest disappointment is the buffet meal that they offer in the evenings and there is better and cheaper places to eat, so we do not recommend it.

The rooms are a good size and the bathrooms have a tub and shower.

When in Xi'an it is a must to go and see the Terra-Cotta Warriors.

Be careful in China and people don't queue and the driving is crazy with no really system, so watch yourself when out on the roads.

Also watch out for 'students from Beijing' looking to improve their English. It is a con.

A great way to get to and from Xi'an is on the overnight sleeper from either Shanghai or Beijing. Check out seat61 on the web for information.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Ottawa, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2009

We booked a "Superior" room for this hotel through Agoda and upon check-in, we automatically received a free upgrade to a Luxury room. Our upgraded room was nice and very big. The bathroom was also an excellent size. We received excellent service from all of the hotel staff. One day, we did not received our complimentary water. I called Housekeeping and they immediately brought it to us. After delivery, I received a telephone call from Housekeeping confirming that I had received the water. A majority of the staff we dealt with possessed advanced English speaking skills. We ate dinner at the Chinese restaurant on site, which was not bad. We also had room service and requested a slight modification to our order; we were graciously accommodated by the staff. The hotel itself is quite big. There is an East Wing and a West Wing, which is joined through an underground hallway. I think the non-smoking rooms are in the West Wing but most of the hotel amenities are located in the East Wing. Although the hotel experience was nice, the property is a 20 minute walk from the city centre.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2009

True 5* hotel at a great price. 15mins walk from centre of town

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

Huge room, great space, nicely decorated. Beautiful lobby and nice and popular bar, Havana bar. My only criticism of the hotel was when I was trying to get a taxi to catch a 5pm train. As another reviewer pointe dout its only about 20 mins walk to train statuon but my bag was heavy. I booked a taxi for 3.30 and at 4.10 I was told that it was "shift change time" and they didnt now if they would be able to get me a taxi. At 4.20 they said I would be better to get a bus....not very happy...they should have told me at first instance that 3.30 was shift change time...

But other than that they were great..concierge remembered my nam,e, food was excellent and only 20 mins walk to bell tower, drum tower, city walls and KFC..unless theres one I didnt know about its about 20mins walk too. Also Starbucks in same area! Which is nice!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2009

I had an unusual shaped room with basically a bed, nice window seat over looking the square, a cupboard containing an old style big TV. Around the corner was a small desk and then there was a side room with a safe, ironing board and room for my suitcase. There was definitely not enough room for the suitcase in the bedroom which made it slightly inconvenient. From looking at the floor plan not all rooms are this shape. The bathroom was fine but again, a slightly strange lay out and because they encased the shower and loo in glass cubicles it made it very cramped. So cramped that it was hard to get out of the loo stall. The sink area was very cramped too and so there was not really enough room for a washbag and its contents. Again, the bed was very hard, as they all are in China - I had hoped that by staying at 5 star Western chain hotels they'd be softer - no such luck! The breakfast was about fifteen pounds which was expensive but there was a good range of stuff on offer and at least the pastries were fresh unlike the stale offerings I had at the Peninsula in Beijing! However it involved a long walk 10-15 minute walk to the other building which was a bore when you have an early start. They also charge for the internet which is frustrating when it would be free if you had a laptop in your room. I was able to watch people doing tai chi in silk outfits on the square opposite before heading off to bike around the old city walls.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2009

This hotel looks onto quite an impressive square with a fountain - fortunately i had a room overlooking it. It is in a good position - you can walk to the Bell and Drum Towers, Great Mosque and Muslim Street area.

It is a 5 min walk to a KFC.

You can also walk from there (about 20 min) to Xian Railway Station where you can catch the 306 bus to Hua Qin Hot Springs and the Terracotta Warriors. You can get off the bus at the Hot Springs then get back on the 306 to the Warriors. About Y7 each trip! The bus takes you to the car park of the Terracotta Warriors - catch the same bus from there back to the Railway Station.

Also, dont miss the Tang Paradise Water Fountain show at 8.30pm in the northern square of Dayan or Wild Goose Pagoda - well worth seeing.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2009

After reading the majority of the reviews about his hotel here, I decided I would stay here. It is somewhat centrally located and within reasonable walking distance of the bell tower and drum towers. I arrived in Xi'an on an overnight train from Beijing and they allowed me to check in right away. However, there was one little snag with the check in process. I had booked my room on Orbitz and my card was charged, when the staff member was viewing the information, she told me that this should have been done with a travel agent’s credit card and not my own. This made no sense to me because I had booked it online using an online travel agent (Orbitz). The staff member took a copy of my confirmation printout and said she would talk to her manager. She also had to run my card again in the event the Orbitz booking would not be allowed. After I reviewed my statements, the Orbitz booking was accepted and I was not charged. The staff member was polite with me the entire time. I think this is simply a training issue. Another staff member also made sure I had the correct card with the hotel name and address in Chinese. I appreciated this very much because I had tried to walk to the Big Wild Goose Pagoda and got lost (I took a taxi back to the hotel, the driver was going the right way back but still made a phone call to somebody to ensure he was going the right way). Staff also told me where to go catch the airport bus (I ultimately took a taxi to the airport because trying to use busses in Xi'an had not gone well for me). I was impressed with my room; it was on one of the upper floors and I thought the space was sufficient. The doorway in the west wing that goes out to the sidewalk along Dongxin St. seemed to be locked or unlocked at random times. Furthermore, you would not know if it was locked or unlocked unless you tried to use it.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo

Been to Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square? Share your experiences!