“Great rooms & excellent facility” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square

You added Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square to your Saves list
Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.319 Dongxin Street, Xincheng District, Xi'an 710004, China   |
Special Offer
Stay Longer & Save More
Ranked #10 of 2,170 Hotels in Xi'an

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

We spent 2 nights here as part of a China tour. My review is based on previous experience with Sofitel in NY and other top hotels such as Shangri-la in HK and Four seasons in Singapore.

The location is ok rather than great. It will be about a 10-15 min walk to the better eating spots.

Pros
- decent sized rooms
- excellent helpful staff, even when I called late at night with room heating problems
- good room service menus and prices not too outrageous
- decent breakfast (other than my points below)
- good turn down service with fruit and macaroons provided. Again, the hotel has no idea how to make proper macaroons. These were more like macaroon biscuits!

Cons
- air conditioning does not work well despite changing rooms. Some friends staying at the same hotel in the other wing had similar problems and between us, we covered four rooms
- first room had a badly constructed bathroom that was prone to leakage when showering
- hotel has no idea how to make proper tea. English breakfast tea in the morning is left to stew in the teapot. I tried Chinese tea at their cafe and staff don't allow the tea any time to soak I.e they pour water into the infuser and immediately empty the tea into a cup.
- low quality coffee at breakfast

Minor irritations
- useless shaving mirror, not fixed to anything
- the first room had a missing light fitting and some cheap looking object stuck untidily to the bathroom mirror

Overall, I had high expectations for Sofitel and these were not met. My experience was akin to a holiday inn rather than a premium five star hotel.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
SofitelXian, Manager at Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problems and prevent future occurrence.

Shanghai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I went to Xian with my family for a short trip to see the terracotta warriors. This hotel is great value for money. The room is nice, and has a walk in closet. The location is in the middle of the city which makes it very convenient if you want to explore the city on foot.

On the last night of our stay, we chose not to eat outside because it was -11C. We ate at one of the restaurants of the hotel for a buffet dinner. The choices of food were ok, but the oysters were actually blue, and I am not talking about the shell. I have never seen, let alone eaten, a blue oyster in my life. When I asked the chef how come the oysters were blue, he said that was normal.

Weird. Anyway, other than that, I am happy to recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback, while I noted your good compliments on the hotel, I regret to note your displeasure over the sea food in the restaurant. Please accept our apologies of any inconvenience caused.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service and food experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we have brought this to the attention of the relevant departments.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

As a member of Accor I got a great deal with Sofitel. If you are a member, it is definitely worth staying here. Our room was massive and the bathroom included both a bathtub and separate shower. Very clean, plenty of room and free water is also provided daily. The king bed was massive and very comfortable. The service was fantastic and most spoke good English. The only negative I had was while we were sleeping someone opened our room door without knocking. Lucky we had the latch on. We went down to reception to question who it may have been and they suspected it may have been one of the cleaners who forgot to knock. One thing to keep in mind if you are looking at converting money to CNY, the hotel advised they have a limit of $300 per day they can exchange for you. We also booked our tour to the Terracotta Warriors from here. They give you a choice of 4 tours and would recommend doing the Warriors as well as the Xi'an Wall tour.

The hotel is located in a great spot. It is a 20 minute walk to the Bell Tower and shops as well as Beiyuanmen Street. This street has so many small shops for food at bargain prices. Room service is expensive so come down for a walk to this street and you'll be able to try a variety of local food at more than half the price. It is also a 20 minute taxi ride to the Giant Wild Goose Pagoda, too far to walk from the hotel. This place provides a nightly water fountain show. Overall had a great stay and would be back if I ever went back to Xi'an.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you very much indeed for taking time to provide us your comments following your recent stay with us. I was very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

At the meantime, I was very concerned to read of your comments relating to the disturbance while you were having rest. Clearly we have some spaces to improve in this area and I do sincerely apologize. I greatly appreciated your brining it to my attention. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

We appreciate your sharing your concerns, and I look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Xian in the near future.

Geelong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I can only describe this hotel as excellent, excellent, excellent from the time we arrived at reception, booking in to our club floor room we were upgraded to a suite, a surprise and a lovely room and facilities, booked a tour to the Terracotta Warriors using the hotel car and driver who also organized an English speaking tour guide, a very organized day. My wife celebrated her 60th birthday and what a surprise we received after out tour, our room was decorated with balloons, pink roses and chocolates. After that surprise we went to the club lounge to thank everyone and they presented my wife with her favorite cake and wine, we can not explain how wonderfully and friendly our stay at this wonderful hotel has been, to many staff to name but thank you to all, we highly recommend this hotel for your stay in Xi'an. Ray and Glen Archibald

Room Tip: Stay on the club floor you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind comments on hotel ambassadors. I am glad you found them to be kind and friendly, as that is absolutely the way we would like our guests to feel when they are staying with us. We are very selective with our recruitment in terms of hiring people who have the right disposition for our hospitality industry. Your endorsement is encouraging and certainly suggests that we are indeed recruiting the right people. I thank you again for it.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back in near future.

Yours sincerely

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Great location near Renmin Square and just a short ride to the Bell Tower.

Of all the hotels I have stayed at in China this one has the best crispy bacon. Scrumptious!!! Proper Bacon. Well done to the chefs.

On this visit I got an upgrade to a Deluxe room. Very comfortable.

Pity the internet did not work at all on one of my computers, but perfectly OK on my MacAir. Day before and the day after everything worked OK on both computers, so do not let them tell you its your computer that has broken!

I asked for a taxi. They said they would get one. Waited and waited. Then went out to the main entrance. There were six taxis there waiting. But none of them would take me as it was a short journey. Come on- the hotel management should either tell guests to go to the street or they should get a taxi. Get this sorted out please. I managed to get a taxi in one minute and got to my meeting in time - no thanks to the hotel staff.

Despite these small niggles I still think its a great hotel with reasonable value. I will stay there again.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the inner square. It is much quieter.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
QualityDirector, Manager at Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you very much indeed for taking time to provide us your comments following your recent stay with us. I was very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay, the breakfast in particular.

At the meantime, I was very concerned to read of your comments relating to the internet in your room and the slow Taxi service. Clearly we have some spaces to improve in these areas and I do sincerely apologize. I greatly appreciated your brining them to my attention. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Apparently this hotel is billed as six star. That creates some major expectations but when it comes to service, they met it. How much this was due to one particular staff member Candy who went out of her way to assist us, or whether it reflects the hotel’s overall standard of staff training I can’t say. The hotel is within a complex called Renmin Square which contains other hotels (Mercure and a government owned one under renovation when we visited) and a theatre. It has a east and west wing connected by an underground tunnel (reception is in the west wing). Being situated in the old city (within the city walls which are well worth a visit) it is subject to height restrictions which means you’re not in a tower which I prefer. The suite was lovely with big windows which faced out onto the boulevard and l’Occitane toiletries. We arrived around 5pm after flying in early that morning and touring all day and the hotel was in a great location to walk around the Bell Tower and Muslim Quarter in the evening. We ate in the hotel’s Cantonese restaurant and the food was absolutely delicious. Breakfast was also outstanding – it was wonderful to get fresh pastries after 10 days of stale pastries in other places (a lovely French touch). Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your breakfast in our restaurant, I really appreciated your feedback on this and I am glad that it lived up to your expectation. I particularly appreciated your giving me the name of people who excelled and it was a great pleasure to share your compliments with her. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our ambassadors as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Sofitel on Renmin Square Xi'an

Been to Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square? Share your experiences!