I do not normally stay in 5-star hotels, so I am not sure what to expect and what the standard should be. I share that, so readers know where I am coming from.
However, the hotel is an architectural gem located in Renmin Square which itself is very, very nice. The location is great; we walked to the city wall, but a taxi would cost less than $2. We also walked to some excellent shopping, both touristy as well as local.
The hotel lobby is spacious and there are numerous restaurants from which to choose. I was staying in a junior suite, which was wonderfully laid out with a bedroom at one end, a sitting room at the other and a bathroom in between. The decor was very pleasant, but not over the top; I would call it restful. The bed was very comfortable and a master light switch beside the bed allowed you to turn off all lights in the suite from your bed (regrettably, you could not turn them all back on using the same swtich). The desk was adequate, and although it did not have many electrical outlets, there was a power bar in the room which worked perfectly - computer, 2 cell phones, etc. Wifi was free in the room and worked well.
The bathroom was a mixed bag. The shower and tub were in the same "room" separated from the rest of the bathroom by an opaque glass wall. The same with the toilet. Not the level of privacy some might want, but I was alone. The toiletries were great and replenished as needed and the towels were abundant. But the shower drove me crazy!! The shower consisted of a shower wand and an overhead shower head affixed to the ceiling, both on the same temperature control. In the morning - and I was an early riser (6 am or so), I had to run the water for quite some time to get hot water - and when I say hot, I mean it was 3rd degree burns hot - and then wait some more for the cold water to arrive to prevent scalding or worse. The setting that was comfortable for one did too hot or cold for the other. And getting the overhead shower head to the right temperature was very frustrating. A change in the control resulted in a change in the water temperature about 10 seconds later, so with these two issues it took easily 5 minutes to get things right. That was really my only complaint.
As for services, laundry was well done but frightfully expensive, and for a supposed "wine bar" Azur had a pretty modest list of wines by the glass and very expensive. The breakfast in Azur was scrumptious complete with omelets on request. If I had any complaint, the massive breakfast buffet was very American; when I am in China, I wand to eat Chinese and the offerings were modest.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel Xian On Renmin Square Hotel Xi`An
- Sofitel Xian On Renmin Square Hotel
- Sofitel Xi An
- Accor Xi An
- Sofitel Xi'an
- Xi'an Sofitel
- Sofitel Xian
- Sofitel Luxury Hotel Xi'An China/Shaanxi
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The majestic Sofitel Xian On Renmin Square locates right in the heart of its walled city. It is in the hotel complex of beautifully landscaped gardens stand a series of historical buildings of Sino-Russian architecture echoing more than 50 years of history. The 414 spacious guestrooms equipped with ultra-modern conveniences - the exclusive Sofitel's MY BED, rainforest shower, complimentary wireless Internet access. For the busy executive traveller requiring extra efficiency, the Club Sofitel has 56 rooms and suites with upgraded facilities, services and exclusive benefits. Azur delights with fresh, savory Mediterranean dishes and European specialties. At the Casablanca, experience authentic Moroccan dishes. Koi, our Japanese Restaurant is the very best in Japanese cuisine with an elegant atmosphere. Le Chinois is the most prestigious Cantonese restaurant in the city. Bar Bambu is the lobby bar with romantic live music, and you can also enjoy the international music our Habana Club of finest wine and cigars. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Agoda, Booking.com, Hotels.com, ACCOR, Tablet Hotels, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Otel, EasyToBook, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Ctrip DaoDao and Tingo so you can book your Sofitel Luxury Hotel Xi'an reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.