“Very comfortable, very welcoming, very good.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square

You added Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square to your Saves list
Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.319 Dongxin Street, Xincheng District, Xi'an 710004, China   |
Ranked #8 of 2,170 Hotels in Xi'an
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Attleborough, United Kingdom
“Very comfortable, very welcoming, very good.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

Not usually a fan of large ‘International chain’ hotels, but for this hotel I make an exception. Very large, two substantial wings connected by an underground corridor, quite centrally placed adjoining a number of other International brand hotels, outstanding service, wide choice of restaurants – European (with the most amazing buffet and outstanding steaks from Australia), Chinese, Moroccan and Japanese - , very good breakfast buffet with many choices to suit all tastes with plenty of serving staff to ensure prompt attention to detail. On floor 12 the room had a great view, a very large and extremely comfortable double bed, wardrobe area with plenty of hanging space and hangers, large en suite bath/shower room, desk with internet access, safe, fridge, kettle, mini-bar, TV, all that you could possible want.
A very pleasant retreat from a busy itinerary and the hustle and bustle of China.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

Following a stop in Shanghai we arrived in Xian. The Sofitel is an excellent property which is centrally located inside the walls of the ancient city of Xian. The staff are friendly, speak good English and are very helpful.

From here we walked to most of the main sites. About a 15 minute walk from the hotel is the Muslim area where at night the street stalls are awesome with all sorts of food on offer. The color of the lights makes for great photos. Taxi back to the hotel was less than 10RMB.

The Sofitel is a really nice property located next to the old Peoples Hotel built by the Soviet Union many years ago. The room was large, clean and comfortable. All the amenities you need are available. The bathroom was on the small side but has a great rain shower.

The Sofitel is comprised of two buildings on either side of the driveway and connected by an underground walkway. Buffet breakfast is available in both buildings. In the east wing the buffet breakfast is large, noisy and much like the streets outside... full of people. While the selection is great from western to asian food it is a bit like grand central station when all the tour groups are trying to get fed and out the door. The staff are slow to clear plates and bring coffees or teas. But if you want selection this is the place. One of the best I've seen for a wide selection of food.

Over on the west wing buffet breakfast is available at the smaller Koi restaurant from 7 - 9am. Koi is a smaller more subdued venue. The offering is smaller than over on the west wing but if you eat mainly a western breakfast then you will find everything you want here, even a chef making eggs the way you want them. I preferred the west wing experience for its subtle ambiance and the friendly efficient staff. Dishes are cleared quickly and efficiently by the wait staff. It is a relaxing way to start the day.

The pool is very large with a hot water spa bath. In the change area is an Asian style spa with sauna, steam room, cleaning station, showers and a warm and cold pool to relax in while your body temperature comes down from a visit to the sauna. There are also relaxation rooms available. Great place to visit after a days outing sightseeing.

Room Tip: For a quiet relaxing breakfast try the buffet at Koi in the West wing. Following a day out sightsee...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

Staying at the Sofitel Xi'an now, and until about two hours ago I would have raved about this place. Excellent, efficient, early check-in was ready when I arrived (some weirdness with the bags but that might have been my fault).

The room is large and nice, and well equipped, love the pillow menu and the mini bar options are reasonable and well priced. The view is lovely, the restaurant options are varied and with quality food, and I will definitely choose Sofitel over Shangri La or Grand Millennium when in China in the future.

Xi'an is also nicer than my original impression led me to believe it would be. I discovered amazing little alleys of charming shopping, huge mega shopping complexes for high end designers. All in all (before I get to the negative) this is a lovely venue, excellent service, and the lunch buffet today was top notch -- I was feeling quite homesick and wanting to explore local cuisine but feeling outclassed and overwhelmed by the prospect (I am not an especially adventurous eater and have food allergies that make dining in this country a bit awkward for me). But, a very kind English speaking Chinese chef and the restaurant manager both stepped in at the lunch buffet with help and little suggestions, tips, and extra service that made my day and helped me get my trip back on track (although the cream for my coffee was literally a thick solid, sort of like melted ice cream, tasted fine but I've never encountered that before so coffee drinkers who like cream beware).

Then ... the bad/weird/frustration - I went to the spa. After some conversation I booked what was supposed to be a promotion for a foot soak/scrub, massage, and a flower petal bath experience. There were some language issues when the massage therapist showed up, but I've had two other massages at other hotels during this trip so I expected everything would be okay. That is when the weird started. The room was frigid, the blanket was more like a sheet, and the therapist was wearing a short skirt and literally climbed up on the bed and straddled me to do the massage. I know there are different approaches but this seems an awkward uniform for a therapist and/or an awkward approach when one is wearing a skirt ... I didn't order THAT type of massage. Next, the massage hurt, badly! I kept trying to indicate that, but it wasn't coming through, so I kind of just endured it. When it came time for the front, she completely pulled back the sheet (in a cold room) exposing my bare breasts (which I have never experienced before without some sort of warning or specialty notice on the massage information sheet). At the end of the weird/awkward/painful/embarrassing massage I was told that the bath wasn't working and I wouldn't be able to do that but I could take a shower. Then the therapist stayed in the room and made up the bed for the next guest while I showered. I know other cultures have different expectations of privacy, but it seems a hotel catering to an international guest would apply international standards to this sort of thing. Then, after the shower I got dressed, (noticing that my clothes were filthy from the closet, the handles on the shower and toilet closet were also VERY grungy and dirty) and I asked for a place to dry my hair. This got completely lost in translation, so I walked into the fitness center bathroom, in front of a spa attendant, to use the fitness center blowdryer. My hair is blonde and my shirt is black, so I closed the door to what I assumed was the ladies changing room, took off my shirt, and began to dry. This is when a man walked into the changing room from the pool ---- humiliation!!!! I threw on my shirt, grabbed my stuff and ran out of the spa, dripping hair and mortified to have to walk through such a nice hotel looking like a complete raggamuffin.

I tried to email the hotel manager, because my concern is that staff be trained so that other guests can avoid this kind of experience, but I cannot find the manager's contact information on the Sofitel website -- hopefully they read this forum, I don't want to approach anyone directly because then the hotel will know who my therapist was and I wouldn't want her to get in trouble, seems more of an overall training issue for the spa, too bad. I had such a wonderful spa experience at Shangri La and in Beijing (so I know the country has great therapists)

Although the hotel is lovely, I am now left with a very uneasy feeling about my entire stay, and a very sore back! It's too bad, I had such a lovely time at the Sofitel Cartagena, Columbia a few years back for a friend's wedding.

Room Tip: The East building is more convenient to most of the dining options and is where guests arrive and ch...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Vivienwei, General Manager at Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this review, October 28, 2011
Bonjour Madam

Greetings from Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square.

Thank you for your time in providing the feedback on Trip Advisor and your positive comments about the efficiency of check in, room facility, restaurant option and in general, we were glad to know that you had a good impression of our Hotel and city. Our apologies for what must have been a very disappointing experience during your visit to the SPA and not wanting to sound as an excuse, the SPA is actually independently managed as the building owner has leased it out to an external operator. We can well understand how it would have given you a bad impression since the facility is part of the Hotel as we always seeks to provide quality standards to all of our guests. We always try to be vigilant in our checking when dealing with an outside service provider but in this case, we obviously did not meet up to your expectations. The lack of professionalism, the mishandling and the poor communication skills of the SPA therapist were not acceptable. Following up on your comments, we have requested the SPA operator to take the necessary corrections and customer service re-training to be implemented. The Hotel Training Department will also provide additional training sessions on Basic English language and the importance of good customer service to the SPA staff. We have also put in place more checks and inspection to ensure they provide consistent service and able to meet up to our standards.

Once again, we appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention as your comments will help us understand where we could have done better and will be useful to guide us to where we are not getting it right on our standards. Please accept our sincere apologies and I very much regretted if this series of shortcomings has brought you some embarrassment, discomfort and inconvenience.

I seek your kind understanding into this matter and I look forward to welcome you back when you travel through Xian again. I am confident that we have put in place measures to improve on the shortcomings you mentioned. In the meantime, if I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely

Fax: +86(0) 29 87928288
Email: gm@renminsquare.com
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

We arrived into Xi'an via the overnight train from Beijing. We got to the hotel ~11:30 AM and we knew that there wouldn't be a room at that kind of check in hour. The concierge offered to store our luggage and deliver it to our room once it's ready. We got our hotel room number and was asked to return in an hour to get the hotel keys to our room. So we went out for lunch at a nearby mall. By the time we got back, sure enough the room was ready.

We booked a superior king sized bedroom and apparently, that particular type room wasn't available and so the hotel gave us a free upgrade to the Junior Suite. STUNNING is what I can described of the room.

2 bottles of complimentary bottled water everyday and bedside chocolates every night. Awesome for travelers like us that like to drink bottled water during our visits (in Beijing, we had to buy our own bottled water at malls for travel). Bed was so comfortable that I didn't want to get out in the morning. Bathroom was so nice, it's even better than the bathroom I have at home!

We used the swimming pool facilities and though there were slight confusion in the beginning with the spa service people (spa is located on the same floor as pool), we found the pool in the end. The hot tub is not so much of a hot tub but just with lukewarm water with jets. The swimming pool is relatively big compared to the other hotels I've stayed at.

All the staffs by the reception have perfect English and were very helpful in helping us exchange smaller bills (China RMB to China RMB) and concierge organized the taxi for us to go to the airport upon our departure.

Location is decent. Not far of a walk to the major city attractions (Bell and Drum towers). Close to the public buses (if you know how to read Chinese and use them) to get to the train station to ride the buses to Terra Cotta Warriors. 3 major malls nearby to eat.

Great stay!

United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

My room at the Sofitel was fairly large and comfortable. The furnishings and décor were quite lovely, although they were beginning to show their age. Yet in spite of these positives, I must admit that I did not particularly enjoy my stay at this hotel. First, the hotel's location in the center of the business district left much to be desired. The paucity of restaurants in the area, as well as the 20-30 minute walks to attractions such as the bell tower or the city walls were definite limitations. The hotel is also isolated from all things Chinese by its placement in a closed-off hotel compound called Remnin Square. Suffice it to say that Remnin Square has all the warmth of a dead fish. Similarly, the hotel and its staff lack the warmth that one usually receives from top hotels.

vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights in September. The rooms are very comfortable and clean, but a little oddly-shaped: the bathroom is quite small and there's no countertop to put your "stuff" on. There are two towers and one evening we walked through the underground connecting corridor to have dinner at a restaurant in the other tower. There is an "art gallery" on the walls of the corridor as well as two vendors with their wares spread out on the floor: vendors who call out to you like they do on the streets throughout China. We thought this was more than a little strange for a higher-end hotel, where we expect to have a a bit of a break from the hawkers. The location is quite nice, though, and fairly quiet.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

We got to Xi'an by overnight train from Beijing. The 11am arrival at the hotel was too early for the normal check in time but the front desk promptly did all the preliminary check in whilst waiting for our rooms to be cleaned.
The reception staff were most friendly and professional! On seeing that we were traveling together the check in staff said she would try to put us on the same floor for our convenience. However as the room class that we had booked were not available, they promptly upgraded us to a junior suite so that we could all be on the same floor! That was a gesture which was very much appreciated by us and the first upgrade that we had experienced in a 5 star hotel in China. I am sure not all the hotels are as generous as Sofitel, Xi'an, Thank you!
Whilst we were waiting for our rooms to be prepared, the reception supervisor(?) offered us a welcome drink at the bar area which was very much appreciated after an overnight travel on the train. The supervisor updated us regularly and even suggested for us to have lunch first whilst waiting. As we only had 1.5 days in X'an, we took his advice and checked out one of the restaurants within the hotel which served a buffet lunch. The arrays of food was impressive. The food and presentation were worthy of writing home about!
The supervisor even located us at the restaurant later to hand us the hotel room cards as they became ready!
As it was our first time to Xi'an, we also used the waiting time to ask the concierge about the various attractions and directions. He was most patient and very helpful with suggestions.

The Sofitel Xi'an hotel has a very airy and luxurious feel about it but not intimidating. The decor was beautiful. Much thoughts have gone into the interior design!
Our suites in the West Wing were big. The decor were modern and luxurious. The bathroom contained a rainforest shower as well as a bathtub! The bed was so comfortable that I was reluctant to get out of bed in the morning. The pillows were ones that I could just sink into it! I rated the bed and pillow as one of the highlights of the 10 days China trips much to the amusement of my friends who read my trip account! My 76 years old mother was most impressed!
Whilst we stayed at the hotel, we also used the swimming pool which was located fair way away from our rooms. It was not big but adequate, The staff were very attentive and one even imparted finer points in swimming techniques for which I was very grateful!
We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights. On the morning of departure, we received an early wake up call as arranged as well as a surprise call by the staff to tell us that we should dress appropriately due to the cooler temperature expected that morning! That last call epitomed the level of service that the hotel service provided! It completely blew me away by the thoughts that the management has put into providing an "over-expectation" level of service!
I will not hesitate to recommend Sofitel Xi'an to anyone!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square? Share your experiences!