“Small room but very good restaurants and front desk” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Mercure Xian on Renmin Square

You added Grand Mercure Xian on Renmin Square to your Saves list
Grand Mercure Xian on Renmin Square
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.319 Dongxin Street, Xincheng District, Xi'an 710004, China   |
Ranked #15 of 2,171 Hotels in Xi'an
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Singapore, Singapore
“Small room but very good restaurants and front desk”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

It's a 20min walk to Bell Tower. Had a bit of problem getting taxis especially during rush hours. The single bed room was a little small for China's standard but everything in it worked fine except the showers always gotten the toilet floor wet. It's a long building so if you don't like walking, do ask for nearby rooms. The food at the Azure and Chinese restuarants (shared with Sofitel) were very good and so were the service quality from front desk staff for tour arrangements.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
SofitelXian, Manager at Grand Mercure Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Grand Mercure Xi'an on your recent visit to the city and for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are delighted to know that you had a pleasant stay with us.

At Grand Mercure, we strive to provide superior levels of service to all guests; therefore your feedback is very important to us and we thank you again for providing it.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and hope that your next visit with us will be as pleasing as the previous one.

Grand Mercure Xi'an on Renmin Square

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stayed at this hotel in July 2013 and found the staff amazing and the rooms very good. Disappointed about being misled about the pool being on site but could cope with that . However what we couldn't cope with was in excess of £170 bill from the churrasco restaurant for what was very ordinary food. We went there for my daughters birthday and apart from the waiter fernando who was lovely the whole experience was exceptionally poor -not at all what we expect from a Sofitel and feel that we were conned so beware. Am hoping that our complaint to the manager will be listened to as white wine warm and red very cold and both very expensive -AVOID

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
SofitelXian, Manager at Grand Mercure Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to share your experience following your recent stay with us. While I noted your compliments on guest room and the employees in the hotel, I was very concerned to learn that your dinning experience in Churrasco restaurant was not up to your expectations. I am truly sorry that this was a disappointment and please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Grand Mercure, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we have brought this to the attention of the relevant department.

I do hope that the shortcomings that you have kindly brought to my attention following your most recent stay will not preclude you from a future visit to Grand Mercure Xi'an and Sofitel Xi'an Renmin Square Xi’an. As a result of your kind advice, I feel confident that we will have taken the necessary steps to improve the deficient areas.

We appreciate your sharing your concerns, and it is our hope to welcome you back in near future.

Tweed Heads, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Have nothing but praise for our stay at this motel. Staff always greeted you with smile and were always willing to assist with all your requirements any time day or night. Have an excellent breakfast buffet. Have no hesitation in recommending this motel

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Grand Mercure Xian on Renmin Square. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We arrived quite late to this hotel due to the lateness of our fast train arrival time. I dont like room service so we went to the adjacent Sofitel for a late supper, the staff were very pleasant and food quite good. I must admit we were surprised with the size of the bed, it's huge, three people could sleep it. I knew that we were staying in a "compound" style property but was disappointed that we had to go to the Sofitel for a swim, I had presumed that the Mercure had a swimming pool. This meant I felt obliged to accompany my teenager daughter to the pool each time she wanted to swim. Breakfast was ok but the food only warm, not hot, unless you ordered an egg or omelette.
The rooms are quite large, we shared with our daughter (who was on a fold up), and were given a corner room. It was very quiet, which was a pleasant change to our bustling, huge Beijing hotel. I suggest this hotel for couples and business. Children would find the lack of pool etc a bit too quiet.

Room Tip: Request a corner suite
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
SofitelXian, Manager at Grand Mercure Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this review, July 15, 2013

William Yuen
Hotel Manager
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I haven't even stayed there yet, and I just had to write a review of the outstanding customer service I am getting from this hotel. They respond so quickly and thoroughly to email enquiries helping with airport transfers, room bookings, tours, and more. Their Reception Manager Evan Zhang has the most excellent English and is so helpful. Thank you Evan!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
SofitelXian, Manager at Grand Mercure Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much indeed for taking time to provide us your comments. I was very pleased to hear that you find services of the hotel lived up to your expectation. This is certainly what we strive to achieve but I am grateful to you for letting me know that on this occasion we made it.

I particularly appreciated your giving me the name of people who excelled and it was a great pleasure to share your compliments with Evan. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our ambassadors as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you to Grand Mercure Xi'an on Renmin Square.

Yours sincerely

Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

First impressions go a long way, and as soon as we arrived at the Grand Mercer, it was the little things that I observed that sets this hotel apart from other hotels, making the difference between a good stay or not.

During check-in the receptionist was courteous and professional. Checking in to any hotel in China can be laborious due to regulations that require photocopies of travel documents (e.g. passport), and the receptionist tried to make it as painless as possible.

When we walked into our room, it was our sense of smell that told us the rooms were going to be decent- that is there was none. No residual odors of recent cleaning products used, no smell of previous guests who disregarded the no-smoking policy, and no musty or moldy smells! Absolutely nothing, it was brilliant. Even though we had a ground level room, the hotel is off of the main road, so you will have no noise issues here. Our room was well appointed and provided all of the comforts one would need while far from home.

The hotel had courtesy umbrellas available for guests at the entrance that we took advantage of during a light rain while on our first walking excursion.

Food choices are numerous, as there are 3 hotels here Sofitel, Grand Mercer, and the Mercer on a compound resulting in a variety of food choices to satisfy your appetite. From Cantonese, Moroccan, Japanese, and a Brazilian BBQ. The prices can be steep at these restaurants so we splurged 1 night at Churrascos the Brazilian BBQ, and the total for my wife and I with drinks was $100.00 USD.

While all staff that we encountered were extremely friendly and professional a few of them are still trying to perfect their English skills so patience is a must.

I will say that to visit such venues as the Drum and Bell towers, or Beiyuanmen Street will probably require a taxi or the three-wheeled electric bikes to get there. It was hot and humid when we visited (1st week in July), and it was stifling. If you choose to walk to the towers for example it will take 30 minutes or so. There is a city square near the Grand Mercer (7 minute walk), and it was fun to visit in the evening when the temperatures were cooler, and the locals danced, played badminton, and participated in various other activities creating a truly local experience.

The bottom line: if you want a great venue that has clean rooms, a variety of restaurant choices, personable hotel staff, and affordable rates (we paid 80.00 per night) then you can't go wrong with this hotel. I almost forgot, we did order cappuccinos every morning and I was a bit disappointed in the size to price value: less than 5 ounces per cup and we paid over 10.00 dollars for two. Though they were excellent in taste, you get an idea of how the room service prices can add up quickly.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind comments on hotel ambassadors. I am glad you found them to be kind and friendly, as that is absolutely the way we would like our guests to feel when they are staying with us. We are very selective with our recruitment in terms of hiring people who have the right disposition for our hospitality industry. Your endorsement is encouraging and certainly suggests that we are indeed recruiting the right people. I thank you again for it.

I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our ambassadors as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

At the meantime, I am truly sorry to note that you found the portion of the cappuccinos you ordered less than satisfactory. Please rest assured that we have brought this to the attention of the relevant department.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back in near future.

Daventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is a well appointed business class hotel in a complex of several others, which gives a variety of resturants from which to eat.

The breakfast had a good choice and was fresh and the staff were very polite and helpful.

The rooms were well appointed although ours seemed a little dark as it was on the ground floor with bushes etc outside

A good hotel in a nice location

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Grand Mercure Xi'an on Renmin Square

Been to Grand Mercure Xian on Renmin Square? Share your experiences!