“Great Wall Mutianyu is better” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Xi'an City Wall (Chengqiang)

Xi'an City Wall (Chengqiang)
Zhongxin District, Xi'an 710001, China
Type: Ancient Ruins
Attraction Details
Singapore, Singapore
17 attraction reviews
“Great Wall Mutianyu is better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

If you enjoy cycling around the wall(14km), you will enjoy the scenic view on top of these walls built by the Ming and Qing dynasties. However the bicycles rentals are still reasonable but the buggies are expensive for per pax!

Visited December 2013

Calcutta, India
6 attraction reviews
“Historical city wall..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

We loved the show at the wall, depicting the history of the place during the time of the Chinese emperors. The wall itself , was very impressive, wide enough for vehicles to ply on. What spoilt our day was the breakdown of the electric car taking us around the top of the wall. We lost more than an hour,till another car came to rescue us.

Visited October 2013
Southend on sea
84 attraction reviews
“Well worth the steep climb upstairs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

This very long wall has to be one of the best preserved original walls in the world. It was built by the Tang Dynasty Emperors to protect this ancient city from invaders. The climb up the steep stairs to reach the top of the wall was not that easy for me, but I managed somehow. There is no lift so disabled people may find it challenging. But once I was up, I thoroughly enjoyed walking on the very wide cobbled wall, which could have been easily mistaken for a road. The views of the ancient Xian city within the wall and the modern city outside the wall are amazing. The area looks even better when all gates and towers are lit up at night. Some typical Chinese tourists wanted to have a photograph with me. My guide told me it is a privilege for them to be photographed with foreigners. Bike may be the best option if you want to go all around the wall, walking will easily take a few hours.
There is a little so called museum here, but really it is a shop on the top floor where the guides take you for a personal tour of the place hoping the tourists will buy something. This is very common in China.

Visited September 2013
Sentosa Island, Singapore
5 attraction reviews
“Biking on top of the City Wall”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

This is the thing to do on a sunny afternoon. We went in December which was the non peak period so there were not many people. 40Y for 100min with a 200Y deposit. We took so many pictures along the way we could not finish the 14-km biking trip within the allotted time. Don't worry, though as there are 4 biking statins at the North, South, East and West gates, we started at the South gate and returned the bike at the West gate, and then walked back to our hotel at Beidajie from Xidajie. Lots of things to see, buy and eat at Xidajie too!

Visited December 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
19 attraction reviews
“Rent a bike but watch the clock”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

The City Wall is fantastic, and well worth visiting. The thing to do is to rent a bike and go all the way around. You only get the bike for 100 minutes, though, so keep an eye on the time. I thought there would be no problem, but I stopped so much for pictures that I made it bake with only eight minutes to spare, and that was after going as fast as I could for the last 1/3 of it. Should be fine for reasonably healthy people if you pay attention, and definitely worth a visit. I started at the South Gate (by the Drum and Bell Towers) but I think you can rent a bike at a few other gates as well.

Visited October 2013

Been to Xi'an City Wall (Chengqiang)? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Xi'an City Wall (Chengqiang), register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.

Bookmark for later