“Well worth the steep climb upstairs” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Xi'an City Wall (Chengqiang)

Xi'an City Wall (Chengqiang)
Zhongxin District, Xi'an 710001, China
Type: Ancient Ruins
Attraction Details
Southend on sea
84 attraction reviews
“Well worth the steep climb upstairs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

This very long wall has to be one of the best preserved original walls in the world. It was built by the Tang Dynasty Emperors to protect this ancient city from invaders. The climb up the steep stairs to reach the top of the wall was not that easy for me, but I managed somehow. There is no lift so disabled people may find it challenging. But once I was up, I thoroughly enjoyed walking on the very wide cobbled wall, which could have been easily mistaken for a road. The views of the ancient Xian city within the wall and the modern city outside the wall are amazing. The area looks even better when all gates and towers are lit up at night. Some typical Chinese tourists wanted to have a photograph with me. My guide told me it is a privilege for them to be photographed with foreigners. Bike may be the best option if you want to go all around the wall, walking will easily take a few hours.
There is a little so called museum here, but really it is a shop on the top floor where the guides take you for a personal tour of the place hoping the tourists will buy something. This is very common in China.

Visited September 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sentosa Island, Singapore
5 attraction reviews
“Biking on top of the City Wall”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

This is the thing to do on a sunny afternoon. We went in December which was the non peak period so there were not many people. 40Y for 100min with a 200Y deposit. We took so many pictures along the way we could not finish the 14-km biking trip within the allotted time. Don't worry, though as there are 4 biking statins at the North, South, East and West gates, we started at the South gate and returned the bike at the West gate, and then walked back to our hotel at Beidajie from Xidajie. Lots of things to see, buy and eat at Xidajie too!

Visited December 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
19 attraction reviews
“Rent a bike but watch the clock”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

The City Wall is fantastic, and well worth visiting. The thing to do is to rent a bike and go all the way around. You only get the bike for 100 minutes, though, so keep an eye on the time. I thought there would be no problem, but I stopped so much for pictures that I made it bake with only eight minutes to spare, and that was after going as fast as I could for the last 1/3 of it. Should be fine for reasonably healthy people if you pay attention, and definitely worth a visit. I started at the South Gate (by the Drum and Bell Towers) but I think you can rent a bike at a few other gates as well.

Visited October 2013
Melbourne, Australia
158 attraction reviews
“Enjoyed a visit here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

This is a fascinating site - the largest original portion of City Wall in China. It's great to climb to the top and walk along between the sentry gates - there's a good view down into the town and across to the more commercial CBD. You can also put your mind back to historic times quite easily here.

Visited January 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
65 attraction reviews
“Biking The City Wall”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

We were part of a tourthat took us to the wall, but ditched the tour to ride a bicycle on the wall.
We rented a tandem bike (wife cannot ride a bike) at the East gate and rode down past the South gate and turned in the bike at the West gate. We paid Y80 for the tandem bike & a Y300 deposit for 100 minutes. We turned in the bike @ the West gate, showed our receipt and got our deposit back.
Afterwards we walked along West St for 15 minutes to the Bell Tower, next the Drum Tower & then to the adjoining Muslim Quarter.
Finally, we walked 20 minutes from the Muslim Quarter to the Sofitel compound where our hotel (Grand Mercure) was located.

Visited October 2013

Been to Xi'an City Wall (Chengqiang)? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Xi'an City Wall (Chengqiang), register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.

Bookmark for later