“The scale is just amazing!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Museum of Qin Terra-cotta Warriors and Horses

The Museum of Qin Terra-cotta Warriors and Horses
Qinling North Road, Lintong District, Xi'an 710600, China (Formerly The Terracotta Army,Terra Cotta Warriors and Horses)
029-3911961
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 248 attractions in Xi'an
Type: History Museums, Ancient Ruins, Historic Sites, Landmarks/ Points of Interest, Monuments/ Statues
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: One of the most significant archaeological finds in the world, this 16,300-square-meter excavation reveals more than 7,000 life-size terracotta figures of warriors and horses arranged in battle formations.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
22 attraction reviews
“The scale is just amazing!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014 NEW

This place cannot be missed! It is awesome (in the very real sense of the word). The sheer scale of the project is incredible.

My best suggestion is to take it all in, but then to visit the museum area around Pit 3. Seeing some of the complete warriors up close gives a true perspective on the size of the place. Then with this in mind, go back to Pit 1 and be awed all over again!

Visited April 2014

Gurgaon, Haryana, India
9 attraction reviews
“Incredible!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014 NEW

I can safely say that the museum of Terra Cotta Warriors is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. If you're a history buff or even someone interested in heritage sites, this is the place to visit - one of the oldest and most authentic sites in China.

The whole museum is effectively an archeological site of an army built two thousand years ago by a great Chinese emperor. The story and magic of the site is difficult to describe. What I will say is that it was unlike anything I've ever seen before.

The museum site is well laid out, with adequate signage in English. I'd advise you to go first thing in the morning (it opens at 8.30 am and if you're there at that time, you'd skip the massive crowds that will start by 10 am onwards). Also carry some drinking water and an umbrella if you're going in the summer. Most of it is indoors, but there's quite a walk to and from the main museum to the gate which can get quite hot.

The most important tip I have is to make sure you engage a good guide - the museum is large, spread over a massive area. You're likely to find someone when you reach, or you can ask your taxi driver to connect you with someone if needed. There are many available in Chinese, but there are also 15-20 certified guides who speak great English. We had a great guide (feel free to contact me and I'll pass his name/number on to you) who was able to tell us about the history of the site, guide us on where to go, what to skip and what to see, and where to buy authentic wares. His presence made all the difference and elevated the visit from a good to great one.

Make the trip to Xi'an just for this - I promise it will be a life-changing one.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
7 attraction reviews
“Just incredible!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014 NEW

During July 2014, my wife and I visited the Terracotta Warriors museum. Let me start by saying that it is incredible - we were completely mesmerized by the fascinating history of this place, dating back to the Qin Dynasty.

There are 3 pits to walk around with pit 1 being the largest. It'll take around 2-3 hours to fully appreciate the museum and read up about the history. Be sure to wear comfortable shoes and light clothing particularly if you're visiting during the summer. Although the pits are under roofs, it is still hot to walk around.

Do take a couple bottles of water each during your visit to stay hydrated as it can get hot, particularly during the summer months (July, August). An umbrella is also recommended for sunny days - one of the best buys we made all holiday!

We do recommend that you take a guided tour as the museum is around 45 minutes from the centre of Xi'an and may be tricky to find on your own.

And if you do want to purchase quality Terracotta memorabilia/souvenirs (not cheap reproductions) do pay a visit to the workshop that supplies the museum - it's about 15 minutes from the museum and you'll be able to buy things for a lot less than sold at the museum itself. Alternatively you can buy fakes in the centre of Xi'an for a lot less but we opted for the ones sold at the workshop.

The cherry on the cake was meeting the farmer who discovered the warriors on his farm in 1974. For 200 Yen, we bought a book and had him sign it for us. For an extra 20 Yen, we had our photo taken with him. He's not there everyday but we were lucky on the day we went.

Let me finish by saying this is an incredible part of global history and a must-see for all visitors to China. Xi'an is a beautiful place and we recommend a 2-3 day visit to appreciate all that Xi'an has to offer.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“Never Thought I would see them”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014 NEW

I never thought in my life I would see them, but when I did they were all I expected - will definitely go back to see the female warriors as we ran out of time during the last visit - you definitely need a minimum of 3 days in Xian

Visited April 2014
Auckland
3 attraction reviews
“Fantastic to see in real life”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014 NEW

My advice - don't take a tour as it's easily done on your own. We took a bus from the centre of town which took us right to the site where we paid our money and wandered at leisure. Tip number 2 - start at Pit 3 and work your way to Pit 1 as the latter site is the most splendid.

I have heard that many tours pick you up early from your hostel but after dragging you round terracotta factories where you are expected to purchase some tacky clay figurines, then having lunch, they eventually take you to the site where you are given a lacklustre tourguide with little English. We saw such tours being whizzed through the site and given that my husband and I like to take lots of photos and look at thing at our leisure, I personally don't see the point in paying more for a less worthwhile experience.