“Wonderful Chinese orchestra but the rest and the food was barely ok” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Shaanxi Grand Opera House Xi'an

Ranked #25 of 317 things to do in Xi'an
Certificate of Excellence 2014
NSW Central Coast
7 attraction reviews
“Wonderful Chinese orchestra but the rest and the food was barely ok”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

The show was as expected, a cultural feast of Chinese dance( and music which WAS excellent)but some aspects were hard to fathom (a maiden in a skin coloured body suit trying to look sexy and alluring under a waterfall, seemed out of place ,but maybe I missed something there.)
The food was disastrous ,three set courses, a few prawns in lettuce(with an exotic name)a beef and mushroom concoction ( but as I had ticked the box when booking, that I was vegetarian ,i got a plate of mushrooms alone).The 'traditional Orange/sago surprise desert ,certainly was ,it was a bowl of tang (powdered orange juice)with about 6 sago grains but many laughs were had at least, over this.We saw the Kung Foo dancers and the Acrobatic Show and both were better,

Visited October 2013

• Polish first
  • Thai first
Ramsey, NJ
28 attraction reviews
“Dumplings and Music (but not at the same time)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Dumpling dinner followed by music and dance of the Tang Dynasty. The Opera House is a large dinner theater. The evening started off with a dumpling dinner. There were several rounds of dumplings in lots of varieties were bought to the table. There was also a large urn of soup. Some of the dumplings were very good, however some were a bit dry. I did have better dumplings in other restaurants in China. Dessert was lemon flavored lotus root. This was very good! Not sure this is something that I'll ever come across back home.
The show was good also. When dinner is over, all the empty chairs along the aisles are filled with those who just want to see the performance. All the singing is performed in Chinese, however the characters playing the Emperor and Empress introduce each performance in both Chinese and English. Our tour guide filled us in about the meaning of some of the pieces prior to the show which helped a lot. In addition, it's a good idea to pick up the brochure from the rack before you enter the theater. There were several dancing segments and music performed on traditional Chinese instruments. All in all a nice way to experience some Chinese culture.

Los Altos, CA
11 attraction reviews
“I wish I could rate it higher”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Truly, I feel guilty not giving the show a top rating. The dancers and musicians were all top notch and gave it their all. My problem is that I just don't care for Tang Dynasty music. To me, it sounds simplistic and repetitious, and I was quite tired of it by the end of the evening.

Visited October 2013
Northampton
12 attraction reviews
“Really enjoyed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We went to this as part of our china tour, to be honest we were not expecting to enjoy the evening. We enjoyed the meal, some of the dumplings we really tasty. The show was after the meal and was actually good with some dancers then musicians. There were drinks and ice creams available to purchase.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
20 attraction reviews
“do not miss this show”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

what a wonderful performance and tunes by authentic opera singers accompanied by authentic orchestra and maestro you feel like you've been dragged to the time where it all happened a great illustration of the emperor's era. it was the highlight of our trip to XIAN, do not miss it and don't forget to buy the CD