“Not Cheesy After All” 4 of 5 stars

43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 171 helpful votes
“Not Cheesy After All”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

If you're like me and you hear the words "dinner show" you immediately think "Vegas" and "cheesy" and "ain't gonna happen". So I was very pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the dinner show at the Shaanxi Grand Opera House, which I was rather reluctantly talked into.

The dumplings which were served were nothing to write home about (we live in China, so we know good dumplings if nothing else) but they were more than passable and there was quite a interesting variety of them. The service was very quick and efficient if not overly friendly or solicitous. So the dinner part was all perfectly acceptable, if a little uninspired.

But the show part was surprisingly enjoyable! The stage settings were lovely and the costumes were gorgeous -- everything in beautiful, vibrant colors! It really was like a Vegas show, but one of the really good ones. It was way more professional than I was expecting, to be honest. And at about an hour long, with another half-hour or so for dinner, it was a very nice evening that didn't drag on too long.

The price was not cheap, but it was very reasonable. We were well-fed and very entertained, so nothing to complain about.

Never thought I would be saying this, but I would definitely recommend it -- go see the Tang Dynasty dinner show!

Visited May 2013

• Polish first
  • Thai first
Athens, Greece
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Beautiful night”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

The dumplings and generally the food was very good.The show is fantastic, so colourful and interesting, you dont get bored at all. I would suggest it to anyone visiting China

Visited April 2013
London
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Wonderful and colourful show”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

The auditorium was done up as a restaurant where all visitors had a "dumplings feast" before the show which was really great music and dance!

Visited July 2013
Montgomery, AL
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Dumpling banquet would probably have been better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Unfortunately, our tour had us eat from another buffet...I think I would have enjoyed the dumpling banquet more. The sets of the costumes for the Tang Dynasty Music and Dance were exquisite. The best part was leaving the theater and seeing the lights on the ancient city wall.

Visited June 2013
Colorado
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Very Impressive Show”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

This was one of the highlights of my visit to Xian. The show was very elaborate and fun to watch. The dumpling banquet offered many different kinds of dumplings when were fun to see as well as eat. I would highly recommend this to anyone visiting.

Visited February 2013