I really want to give the Westin Xi'an a better rating, but it's just not quite there yet. After reading the mixed reviews, we decided to give it a go thinking maybe things improved since its opening (when most of the bad reviews were written). In the end, the goods outweighed the bads, but expections should be kept in check when attempting this Westin. Here's a summary of our experience/opinions:
- Though not located in the center of town, the Westin is near one of the must-see sights, the Wild Goose Pagoda, and surrounded by lots of local eateries. It's easily accessible by taxi, and is about a 20 minute walk to the nearest subway station.
- If you are a Platinum SPG member, you have free access to the Executive Lounge where you can have complimentary breakfast and an afternoon happy hour (5-7pm).
- The architecture/design of the building is modern and particularly nuanced for a Westin. We liked it.
- There is a nice museum right in the basement.
- The fitness center is extensive (though the swimming pool leaves much to be desired).
- The service is the pits. C'mon Westin, you can do better than this. The staff have good intentions (usually), but the lack of training in basic customer service is blatantly obvious. When we checked in, it was like pulling teeth to get the basic info: breakfast time/location, elevator location, etc.
- There's a lot of construction around the hotel. Some of that is out of the hotel's control, but it's nice to warn guests in advance.
- The lobby smells bad. The hotel is still very new and it smells like it (and not in a good way).
- The layout of the hotel is very strange. It's short (5 floors) and wide with only one bank of elevators. It can be a 5 min walk from your room to the elevator.
- Our favorite part of the hotel was the happy hour in the executive lounge. There is a lovely balcony that overlooks the Wild Goose Pagoda, and you can enjoy cheese and wine will taking in the lovely Xian landscape.
- (This is why we give this Westin 3/5 instead of 4/5.) After we checked into our suite, we discovered that the air conditioner was broken. We asked the front desk to switch us to another suite, but instead they sent two repairmen to look at the problem. After 20 minutes, we told the maintenance guys we'd like to move rooms (it was already 10pm). They agreed since it could not be fixed in a timely manner. They radioed the manager requesting the switch. Another 20 minutes later, no answer. We called ourselves, and an attendant came to escort us....next door. The a/c problem was in that entire wing of the building, so moving next door solved nothing. My partner, who speaks fluent Chinese, called to speak to the manager. His call was transferred, and as the manager (Zhang Pong-Li, Ivan Zhang) picked up the phone, my partner heard him say in Chinese the equivalent of: "Here's another @$$hole!" Furious, my partner gave him an earful, demanded another room, and insisted that the staff check that the a/c was working properly before we relocated a second time. Embarrassed, the manager came over to escort us to the other room, which he insisted was an upgrade. In fact, the room was slightly smaller and was a smoking suite. We were tired of moving, so we just took it; but his comments were misleading. To Mr. Zhang's credit, he sent us a complimentary bottle of wine to apologize.
This was just one part of the overall bad customer service at the Westin Xi'an. If you can put up with that, you'll be fine. But as a loyal SPG Platinum member, I have high expectations for Westins, especially their customer service. This one just didn't make the cut in that respect.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Dear Kevin R,
Report response as inappropriate
Greetings from the Westin Xian!
I would like to personally thank you for choosing to stay with us during your trip and hope you had safe travels to your next destination.
I apologise for the service experience that you encountered and the associate that your partner encountered has been dealt with internally regarding the comments that you have left on your post. In no way does our hotel accept this type of behaviour and we apologise if this individual has tarnished the reputation of our hotel. We have taken in to account all the points you have provided us and rest assured that we have reviewed your comments with the related department heads to implement measures for avoiding this type of experience in the future.
Regarding our hotel design, I would like to share some information with you regarding the design concept. The Westin Xian was designed by the Shanghai-based Neri and Hu Design Research Office. The hotel was designed as a “modern bridge between the past and present”, The hotel has an interesting fusion of indigenous culture and fresh design that reflects both the city’s ancient character as well as its contemporary outlook and rapid growth of the region today.
I wish to thank you for your valued comments and we sincerely hope that you would give us another opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Looking forward to seeing you again soon at The Westin Xian!
Executive Assistant Manager
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.