“Must go! And I am not a big museum, art, nor calligraphy Fan.” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #15 of 325 things to do in Xi'an
More attraction details
Owner description: Found in 2000,TANGBO Art Muesum possesses a collection of Shannxi folk arts and representative ancient paintings exhibited in historical sequence. They also provides following services like Chinese Calligraphy Learning , Tea Ceremony , Papercutting Learning( extra charge) , and Chinese painting Appreciation.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
salt pond village
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Must go! And I am not a big museum, art, nor calligraphy Fan.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

What a wonderful museum. Address is key to finding this very humble and humbling museum. All the volunteers working here can explain all you want to know about differing Chinese art forms. Very welcoming staff even though we arrived at lunch and they were "closed". They opened up for our tiny group of three. Hands-on and fun calligraphy lesson after our informative tour.

Yeah, I failed my penmanship class here but learned the characters for my name which I then took home. We purchased a group of "four season" paintings done by nearby art students. Bargain if you want on the posted prices or simply treat as a small donation to keep this Fantastic museum open and running.

After your other, likely a wee bit crowded experiences in the Middle Kingdom, please make time during your visit to Xi'an to better understand why this city was the center of the known universe for thousands of years. You will be quite glad you took the time. The other reviewers expressed their sentiments much better than I can. Please read their reviews to get a better feel of this magical place.

Visited July 2013
6 Thank DeeGatos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“The loveliest hidden gem in Xi'an”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

This is one of the best museum experiences I've ever had anywhere, hands down. The collection is exquisite and the backgrounds of the artwork was fascinating, but the best part of the experience was my tour guide the lovely Ella, who was sweet, knowledgeable, warm and brilliant. Wish I could stay in China and be friends with her!
When I arrived I was told by the gatekeeper that TangBo was only open to pre-booked group tours, and I was to turn away in disappointment when he went and retrieved Ella for me, and she conducted a brilliant private tour for me - the artifacts emphasized on the fascinating and relevant rather than all historical, featuring folk arts and contemporary artists that calls back to the culture, and Ella did a spectacular job of turning each one into a story and make the meaning behind the art relatable to the viewer. I have some background in the subject but I think even people without any particular experience with art or history would enjoy this tour, I wish more things in China would be presented like TangBo. Five glowing stars!

Visited December 2013
7 Thank Lily_plus_Kome
Indianapolis, Indiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Art For All Ages”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Warm and welcoming staff. Brilliance explanation of Chinese art history for Easily one of the top 3 attractions of a 14-day tour of Beijing, Xian, Guilin and HK...10yr olds through seniors in my family loved this place. Hands on calligraphy a real highlight. Experience China without the massive crowd everywhere else. I never write reviews, but you really need to see this place. At the end of the guided tour, you can purchase artwork done by students and professionals. Be ready to spend money. Worth every penny. I saw two pieced fro $10 grand each. If I were an art collector, I would have bought them instantly! The price of admission was a donation, or buy some art. God is blessing everyone at this place.

Visited November 2013
5 Thank Rene L
Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Love this little art gallery/museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Atmosphere was great with good collection. Staff was helpful but not pushy. A bit small so it would take around 2 hours to have a good look.

Visited October 2013
5 Thank Annie V
Warsaw, Poland
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“perfect for deeper understanding of Chinese art”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

The gallery presents a varied collection of artworks and watching them is a pleasant experience in itself. But what makes a visit to TangBo truly special is their well-trained and informative staff. Don't hesitate to ask questions - your guide will answer each and every one of them. Thanks to the guidance, you get to know the stories behind the artworks, their hidden meanings and cultural allusions. You can learn a lot about China through those pictures: Chinese customs, symbols, famous stories and heroes... actually, I wish I could visit the gallery more than once because you can't absorb all the knowledge during just one visit : ) It was definitely one of the most interesting places I visited in Xi'an - don't miss it!

Visited October 2013