“Great mix of hostel & hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hantang House

You added Hantang House to your Saves list
Hantang House
No.32 Nanchang Alley, Nanxin Street, South of New City Plaza, Xi'an 731000, China   |
Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 249 Xi'an B&B and Inns
Suzhou, China
“Great mix of hostel & hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

My wife and I had a wonderful stay here. We stayed in a private double room with en suite bathroom so I can't really speak for the hostel part. The staff are very knowledgeable and patient. Every staff member I spoke to had great English skills. We ate breakfast and listened to a guy ask questions that Google could have easily answered for 20 minutes while the clerk just smiled patiently and helped him.

The food and drink is pricey but if you are needing something that is not Chinese it is always worth paying for in China. We live in China so we were looking forward to some good Western food and they did not disappoint.

The location is super cool. It's down a little alley that is quaint and authentic. If you head out towards the Muslim quarter you get to observe a nice sample of daily life. It is about a 15 minute walk to the Muslim quarter and about the same to the bell tower. We walked to the south gate of the city walls in about 30 minutes.

Overall, this ho(s)tel was clean and friendly. Do bring your own toiletries (or expect to buy some across the street) as the bathrooms do not come equipped.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Corpus Christi, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Everyone at the Hantag House and its sister Hostel are great, and the rooms are clean and in good condition.

If you are aprehensive about traveling in a country where you do not know the language or anyone, this might be the ideal place to start. If you have been traveling and crave Western food Hantag House delivers. Tours are of good quality. We especially enjoyed the Panda tour, something we did not expect to do in Xi'an.

One of its major strengths is also its weakness. That is it caters so much to young Western Backpackers that some of China gets lost in the process.

Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I had a very good stay here. The staff and the accomodation are excellent and the beds are the best that I have experienced in 22 months of travelling. The hostel is only about 10 minutes walk to the main street and the metro. One significant irritation, although it is easy to get round by going out, is the cost of drinks and food. It would be good if the management changed their drinks policy as currently most travellers go to the convenience store across the street for large bottles of local beer from 2.5 - 3.2 yuan.

Room Tip: Get your drink and food elsewhere
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

This was a very pleasant surprise. The rooms are comfortable, quiet and BIG. The location is really good for walking around the commercial area and visiting the Muslim Quarter. Staff were helpful and efficient.

The cafe was at the higher end of hostel food price, and there wasn't a kitchen available to cook your own food, but what we did eat there was very good.

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

The hostel is located in a central location and the reception area double up as a dining area and bar in the night. It serves wesrtern luxury such as brownie, cakes, sandwiches and western coffee and all sorts of western beer.. pricey food and drinks just like starbucks and definitely catering to the wesrterners.
Great if you are looking for a place with lots of foreigners to hang out with but not so if you are looking to meet more chinese travellers. Computer usage is not free unlike other hostesl we have visiting in other cities of china.
We had twin room ensuite- nice beds and covers. Great toilet even with a rain shower. No lift and we had to heft our backpacks up to 4th floor. Great security system with key cards.
Guess thats the good part of staying in new hostel as most items are latest and good condition.

Personally I think they are too busy to take care of guests. We had to ask for our room to be cleaned on the 3rd day which shouldnt be the case especially since used toilet paper are thrown into a bin rather than flushed down. We sent in our laundry and 2 days later it came back exactly the way we send in - all squashed and crumpled in the same plastic bag and the tshirt was inside out as it did before. We couldnt even smell the detergent and wonder if they even washed it.
Its not about the 10Y but the fact that we have limited clothes and needed them for the next part of our journey.
The staff are ok with english spoken but not the friendliest I have met during my china travels.

They have another hostel down the road and another named Facebook youth hostel has recently opened, worth to check it out.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Newcastle and Gateshead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

It had to be the most luxurious b&b I stayed in throughout my travels of Asia! It was clean, comfortable and the food was lovely! I had my own bedroom with an en-suite! I remember thinking that the shower was the best I had had throughout my entire trip! I needed some clothes washing too. That was a real bargain. I had my entire rucksack washed and dried for £5. I had a few pairs of jeans, shorts, t-shirts and jumpers and underwear and I thought it was cheap as chips. They booked a tour to see the terracotta warriors for me. That was a day trip well worth getting. We had our own tour-guide called Lady ZhaZha and she was hilarious! We got some good food for a few pounds on the day too! The bell tower is well worth a visit too!

Room Tip: Treat yourself to an upgrade!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
brh1976
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

The good (great) news is that this is by far the nicest hostel I have stayed at in over 14 months of traveling Asia. The rooms are brand new, as is all the furniture. The beds are solid and the mattresses comfy (none of the Chinese-style, rock-hard stuff). There is no creaking of the beds, and each bunk has an individual reading light and power outlet—extremely well thought out, and a touch I haven't see outside of Europe. The door-less bathroom areas look like they're out of a high-end hotel: a central washbasin with separate rooms (with doors) for the toilet and shower on either side, with heavily frosted glass as the walls.

The prices are also reasonable, and are no more than you pay for highly-inferior accommodation elsewhere in China. I believe I paid 50 yuan per night. They will also pick you up at the train station if you contact them in advance, which I did.

Some have complained about cleanliness. When I was there it was spotless (but also very new). Given the very poor hygiene you see at a lot of Chinese hostels and establishments—especially in the bathrooms—I have a very difficult time imagining that this place would ever be anything less than a cut above its competition.

There is a trade off, however, as they're obviously offering their exquisite facilities at rates far below their market value. Like many Chinese hostels, they seem to want to make up their profits on food and tours. Food and drinks are extremely expensive, although the menu is well-tailored to the tastes of their foreign guests. They also sell a lot of tours, but the staff really don't know much about local bus routes, etc., if you're interested in doing something for yourself. Lonely Planet was much more accurate than what the staff told me. The good side to this is that there is very little pressure to buy food/drinks, in part because the hostel is so large.

I would also echo the comment of another reviewer who said the lounge downstairs feels more like a cafe where purchases are mandatory than as a gathering place to meet people and have leisurely conversations.

All in all, it seems quite clear that this hostel has been designed with Western tourists in mind, as everything is tailored to Western tastes and desires. It really does feel like a large, stylish, and possibly institutional European hostel has been transplanted into China. This may or may not be what you are looking for, but to me it seems likely to mean that it will continue to be cleaner than most Chinese places, with much more comfortable rooms, though possibly at the expense of local character and communal vibe. If you are on a short trip and want to experience something more "authentic," and have a better chance of interacting with people (both Western and Chinese),then you might want to book somewhere else. If you're looking for a comfortable place to stay and a respite from frequently dreadful Chinese hostels, this is a good bet.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hantang House? Share your experiences!