“The best thing about Xi'an...including the Terracotta Warriors” 5 of 5 stars
Review of First noodle under the sun

First noodle under the sun
Hanguang Road (South Section), Yanta,, Xi'an, China
029-87286088
Improve this listing
Ranked #23 of 1,519 Restaurants in Xi'an
Cuisines: Noodle
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: 029-85398299
Steinbach, Canada
“The best thing about Xi'an...including the Terracotta Warriors”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Xi'an, itself, was disappointing. Kind of a dirty, gritty city with little of interest other than the Muslim Quarter and the Terracotta Warriors (which, also, were a bit of a let down, but I'll leave that for another review). However, I will say perhaps our favourite restaurant in mainland China was this simple little place First Noodle Under the Sun. We read about it in Lonely Planet, and thankfully it hasn't succumbed to the "Lonely Planet" effect (increasing the prices and serving bad food to tourists). There were only locals here and the food is amazing and incredibly cheap. The egg and tomato noodles were my favourite, but any of the noodle dishes we ordered were great. We got four large bottles of beer, two bottles of water, and four large dishes all for the equivalent of 11 dollars. English menus and friendly service. This place was so good that, despite the fact it was a long way from our hotel, we went back here twice. Highly recommended. Seek it out.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Korean first
Ljubljana, Slovenia
“Inexpensive and good taste”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

Noodles as their specialty very good. Also other dishes tasty. English spoken, menus in english with pictures. Recommended.

Visited July 2012
wagga
“tasty noodles, some english spoken”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

some reviewers seem a little disapointed after the lp endorsement, but this is not the fault of the restuarant that does not claim to be "the best" in xian. go with realistic expectations and you will enjoy a tasty meal surrounded by locals in a typical noisy chinese restaurant. cold beers and lots of non noodle items on the menu if you wants something else.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Brisbane, Australia
“Not all its cracked up to be”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012 via mobile

My bf and I went to first noodle off the back of a lonley planet review. We also wanted somewhere authentic that we knew had an english menu.

The food was very average and we order more than two people should order. My bf had the signature dish which is th long noodles with garlic dipping sauce. That was actually quite good but the rest all tasted the same and was super garlicky. I love garlic but it was too much.

The tables were clean but the floor was disgusting and about 6 waitresses would serve us at a time. None could speak English though.

It was very cheap though. Under 100CNY for 4-5 dishes plus beers.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Xi'an, China
“Lonely Planet need to go to some other restaurants!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

I couldn't believe when I heard that LP rated this as one of the best places to eat in the city, it's not even close. I live nearby and am always popping in, so I am not slating the place, it's just no better than average in any way, though no worse than some other restaurants nearby.
Value-wise it suffers a little from being near the Big Pagoda, so you're looking at double figures for noodles etc, and the worst thing for me is the cold...they don't heat it at all, so in winter it's ridiculous in there, eating in my hat and scarf!
But the staff are good humoured and friendly and it certainly isn't bad at all...the menu is worth seeing merely for the Chinglish translations, of which I know not whether to be scared or just laugh...

• Visited February 2012