“Very touristy but enjoyable” 4 of 5 stars

Update restaurant details
Ranked #11 of 1,601 restaurants in Xi'an
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: This is a dance and music show in which a dumpling dinner is also included.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Very touristy but enjoyable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

An enjoyable night out, with dinner and show. All very obviously for the tourists (80% chinese/20% western when we were there) very colourful and a bit cheesy at times, but we liked it nonetheless. Im vegetarian, and they catered for me very well (the chinese dont really get vegetarianism - thinking it all very odd) We had a hair raising but enjoyable ride home on one of the tuktuk type motorbike taxis - there appear to be no rules of the road. Cheap way to get around though. Always agree the price in advance before leaving in any type of taxi. We heard of some real rip offs although not victims ourselves.

Visited September 2012

66% Recommend
Perth WA
“Chinese classical music, dance, poetry 'lite' (?!)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

The Tang Dynasty is known for its arts, culture, poetry and general prosperity even to comparative culturally-challenged Chinese (such as me). I have an uncle who is more culturally literate and who has been encouraging me to learn more about this fascinating chapter of Chinese history. So when fellow traveller (hereafter FT) & I were collected at the airport by a guide and a driver & I saw the brochure, I picked it up and gave it a glance. After one of our tours, the guide (more about him in another review) - perhaps seizing a sales opportunity - said he could get us in for a discount price & would we like local cuisine, ie., local dumplings made specially?! FT is vegetarian, we said. No problems, we were told. To be honest, by this time, I was a bit wary of the guide ... he had already mentioned that tourists were not usual at this time of the year, "except for the Russians who love the cold" and I was beginning to think he did not want to be working! His enthusiasm and commentary had been lacking, compared to other guides I overheard (English as well as Mandarin-speaking ... I am not fluent enough in Mandarin & am more fluent in English so it made sense to have an English-speaking guide). ANYWAY, we got there, paid ¥300 to the guide (the tix said ¥388), we were taken to our large table, other patrons were on other tables and we got each got our version of the dumplings ("no meat" for FT). We were told quite sternly that the deal only included 1 glass of soft drink! FT said the vegetarian stuff was OK. I am a bit of a dim sum & dumpling fan so just rated this 4 or 5 out of 10.

Bouquets or (+s): energy of the performers, lavish costumes, the English explanations for the linguistically-challenged (ha ha, includes me, btw), the research. Brickbats? Music or muzak (made me think of 'hooked on classics' if you are of an age that remembers those). The cardboard sword! I kept thinking I was in the land where I could see stainless steel everywhere ... And examples of fine craft, great imitations ... Surely someone could have made the lady sword dancer a lightweight sword for her dance? And not a sword that bent where one would not want it to?!

FT described the show as "cheesiest thing I've seen".

Tip for future viewers: see if you can get a table on the elevated section but the establishment may fill the tables from stage (front) to the back. Show without the dumplings also available. On our table that night was a family who spoke Spanish (one of them was in China studying Mandarin, it seemed to me) and a group made up of 3 20somethings: 1 was American-born Chinese, another an American guy & 3 was a Turkish woman completing a teaching Chinese qualification. The group next to us were Russian. Said to FT, this is for tourists only BUT was proved wrong by a number of Chinese viewers, and I am guessing not all of them were 'hwa qiao' (overseas Chinese).

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dublin
“River Dance, Chinese style???????? (with food).”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We were a family group, four adults and two children. Can it work? Eating and trying to enjoy the show. Not for me i'm afraid. It was a large arena. Packed with foreign tourists, Standing taking photos. Both the food and the show were 'manufactured'. The best that can be said is that it had a jaded buzz......

Visited June 2012
London, United Kingdom
“If your going to a major city wait.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

A regional show that is by China standards average. The better shows are in the big cities (excluding Shoalin temple).

Dont particularly like local cusine and this event provides dinner which i think is pretty poor, but you shouldn't be coming here for the dinner its more the show. If you have time then its an option in an otherwise slow regiinal town.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
san antonio, texas
“Disappointing but....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Our group of 34 was dead-tired by the time we arrived and that's probably why at least 20 or 25 were caught napping during the show. Music was so mellow and soft it encouraged sleep. But production, choreography and especially costumes were excellent.

Visited November 2012