“Cuihua Mountain Climb” 4 of 5 stars

Australia
7 attraction reviews
“Cuihua Mountain Climb”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I had hired a professional guide from Xi'an, Linda Guolz, to accompany me during 8 days of travel in Shaanxi Province, telling her in advance of my arrival the places I wished to visit, including the Cuihua Mountains. For this trip Linda hired a car and drove us to the park. We left the car and travelled the 6 kilometres up to Sky Lake in a park shuttle bus. Linda had been to the lake with her parents as a child, but this was the first time she had accompanied a tourist on the mountain climb. It was during a period of really hot days when the temperature neared 100F each day. There was no breeze. I am 73 years of age, reasonably fit, but not used to such constant climbing of steps, so had to take it steadily. It was well worth the effort. Acting on advice of others that we met at the peak, we took another route down the mountain. We were told it was a more direct route - true if going to the car park, but it did not lead back to the lake. By the time we realized our mistake we were committed. I had carried adequate water, but no food. My legs became leaden due to lack of carbohydrates and I was in real pain by the time we reached the base of the reservoir where food venders were selling their wares. I bought a bottle of Cola to get some sugar into my system and a bowl of hot rice and bean porridge.
The climb to the mountain peaks was definitely worth the effort, but I would recommend that in addition to water, some nourishing food be carried.

Visited June 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Adelaide, Australia
7 attraction reviews
“A nice day out of town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

This is a nice location to enjoy the scenery outside of Xi'an without hanging off mountain sides. We went with two kids via public transport - an adventure in itself! I wish we'd known to take a lift up to the lake and then explore around because we were too tired to walk further up the hills after slogging it up from the bottom (a very pretty hike nonetheless). For the more adventurous there's a zip line which seemed popular with the uni students. The hike up to where the photos of the hanging bridge are, appear to start from the right hand side of the lake as you get up to it.

There are some snack shops at the bottom as well as at the lake, but the restaurants just before the lake are the best bet for a real meal. We looked at what other people were eating and pointed at promising looking items. The meal was very nice!

To get there:
You need to take one bus out of town and change onto another one to get to Cuihua itself. We had someone write down the change stop so we could show it to people to ask them to tell us where to get off as its a non-descript bus station at the side of a busy street. At the end of the second bus, there are touts who will take you to the park entrance in a mini-van. It's worth it as the distance is a few kilometres. The total trip from Xi'an is around 2hrs. Then its possible to take another car / van from the park entrance up to the lake, but we didn't know so didn't take it. The hike is nice but steep. I'd probably take a vehicle up to the lake next time....

Its a very local place. The people at our hotel looked at us very strangely when we said we wanted to go. Apparently it gets very busy on weekends so I'd recommend a weekday as its not too crowded.

Visited April 2012