“Just plain dirty” 1 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 stars 77 Reviews
china
“Just plain dirty”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2009

Last night i was horrified to hear and see a RAT (that's not a mouse)
running behind the microwave in the kitchen. Ok its normal, a not so
clean kitchens might have rats, fine i just won't eat from their menu,
But there is more...
This morning a lady came into in my dorm room (Room 304a) for what i
thought was to change the sheets on the beds of those who checked out
today. But unfortunately not, she only refolded the duvets and ran her
hand over the sheets to get the dust and hairs off.
After this I went downstairs to Reception to ask if that was the norm
here and the girl just shrugged it off saying "oh well..."
How many uses does a bed need before you change it??
I will definately not be recommending this hostel to anybody in the
future

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Brussels
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2009

I don't get the enthusiasm of the Lonely Planet for this place. Apart from the perfect location this hostel is not to be recommended. Our room and bathroom was quite shabby and attacked by damp. Worst of all was the staff, unhelpful and unfriendly.
This isn't by far the cheapest place either so it is best avoided.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Valencia, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

We stayed two nights in this hostel. In general, the place is ok, nothing great to expect about it, just ok in general. Rooms and bathrooms were ok, not very clean but not very dirty. The staff was either VERY kind or VERY unpolite, they had no middle point. We also booked our Li River cruise there and it turned out to be very nice (we chose the bamboo boats :)) Breakfast was great tough and Internet connection worked pretty well. We thought it was going to be very noisy (due to its central location) but no, we could sleep quite well. Location was perfect.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

Guilin was the first place in China that my partner and I stayed in on our backpacking trip around China (apart from Hong Kong) and so initially I wasn't too disappointed by the way we were treated by staff, but after travelling the rest of China and meeting a lot of wonderful people (pretty much everyone else in the country) I then realised that the staff at the Backstreet Hostel were pretty dismal. When we arrived about 5 girls were sitting around a table in the common room and no-one seemed too enthusiastic to get up and serve us (They turned out to be receptionists but we thought they were guests because they barely looked at us). Eventually one of them got up and decided to serve us.
Everytime we went to Reception (which we tried to avoid) we got the same average treatment - vague looks, complete disinterest and general apathy. As someone else mentioned, this poor treatment especially applied to female guests. Male guests got the full cheery, giggly and over the top treatment.
We booked a private room with ensuite and this was very large and clean. It was airconditioned and the bed was huge. The bathroom was a decent size and also clean. The place is in a good location near the river. The breakfast was pretty yummy. The rental bikes were old but worked well enough. And the girls did book train tickets and tours which was helpful.
If they got better staff I would almost recommend this place. It justs lacks a bit of character and the common area - where the staff hang out - is a bit small and dark and the only place to sit apart from your room.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2009

The rooms are clean and fairly spacious but the staff was fairly unfriendly to female travelers. One of the girls working there yelled at me in Chinese (and I assume cursed me out) when I asked her a question. I decided to let her be for a while & when I came back later and asked her the same question she was civil towards me. I had a couple other times when the female staff were fairly unfriendly to me. They appeared to be very friendly to the male guests I hung out with so it is probably fine for male travelers.

They speak English fairly well but were not able to give much advice about traveling to other places.

The location is good- its just off of a street with a market and lots of restaurants. Its also within walking distance of most of the sights in central Guilin.

I would recommend getting the river trip though them as they have a discounted price compared to with what is offered at other hotels in the area.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
st louis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

we arrived from guangzhou and arrived in the early evening. the staff seemed stressed out and brusque and weren't able to tell us if we could stay longer than 1 night.

we stayed in room 302 and it was nice and big.

pros: the room had a/c, it was pretty clean, it was in a good location and wifi in the lobby.

cons: there was mold on the wall, the tv didn't work and there was stagnant water on the bathroom floor because the drain wasn't positioned in the lowest point of the floor. the staff were rude.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Kiev, Ukraine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2009

Great location, spacious rooms and comfortable beds. Beware... the rooms smell like mold! If you have allergies this may not be a good place for you!

The staff seem very helpful with booking you taxis and tours at first... until you realize that the only reason is because they are gaining commission. As soon as you ask them for help on something that does not have to do with a commission-based sale, they cite a language barrier or say that they cannot help you. Perfect example: booking a taxi for the airport. First of all, our flight kept getting changed. All we asked was if they could call the airport and confirm our flight time. No matter how many times we asked, they always had an excuse as to why they couldn't help us... even when we brought them the phone number! We had met a taxi driver who we really felt comfortable with and had booked him privately to bring us to the airport. He gave us his card in case we needed to call him. Well, we ended up needing to change our departure time when it seemed as though our flight had been moved back (thanks to a kind travel agent in town, NOT the hostel staff). My putonghua is minimal so I asked the staff to please call his number and ask him to come at a later time. They refused to call him, citing that they would call and arrange our ride through "the company" and that we may or may not have the same driver. Okay... I was slightly annoyed, but didn't concern myself too much. I finally called a friend of mine who was at our next destination and asked him to check out our flight status. When he said we would be leaving at an earlier time than expected, we rushed back to the hostel and told them we needed a taxi RIGHT THEN so we could make it to the airport in time. They first said, "Well it will take at least 20 minutes for someone to get here" and they only volunteered further help when we said that we'd just catch a taxi from the road. The thought of lost commission sparked them into "helpful" mode and all of a sudden they produced the phone number for the airport to call and confirm our departure time... something they'd feigned ignorance with all morning. I couldn't believe it!

Anyways, I'm not sure if their obvious greed would be reason enough for me to not recommend the place, but it was a huge annoyance as many people have quoted them on being so helpful. They demonstrated to me that they will only help when it serves their own interests and do NOT put their guests first.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Been to Guilin Backstreet International Youth Hostel? Share your experiences!