“GOs are the best!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Club Med Guilin

You added Club Med Guilin to your Saves list
Club Med Guilin
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   the Junction of Dayan Road and 026 Country Road, Dabu Country, Yanshan District, Guilin 541000, China (Formerly Club Med Guilin Holiday Resort)   |
Special Offer
All-Inclusive Packages
Ranked #3 of 520 Hotels in Guilin
Shanghai, China
“GOs are the best!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

We spent whole week there between 20th to 27th April, but we did not have it enough, so many activities and so little time!

GOs are amazing, we could not have enjoyed it so much without their accompany and smile. Adi, Mark, Jono, Cam Cam, Tina, Jade, Alit, Jaffa, Mackinzie, Roman, Chris, Jerry, Rizal, Nicolas, Robert, Rian and Claudine…… (more GOs that I did not ask for name one by one, sorry), yes, you are the best!

When we just arrived the hotel around noon, Adi who works at the bar on night shift came to the front desk voluntary offered to bring us to our room and showed us around, it wasn't even his working hour yet. Was very touched by the GOs service mind! During the week, whenever we met him, he was greeting us and chatting to us like an old friend with big smile. Of course, he also makes perfect cocktails!

Thanks to the mini club team, they took my 7 years daughter in and made her dance (haha, who does not normally like to dance) and even preformed at the evening show, two thumbs up! Cam Cam, Tina, Jade, Coral, Lasia, Cathy, Gabriel, Eccho, Cilia, Joelb… big applause!

Most incredible activity I tired and felt in love with right away, is Trapeze, the circus team is so reliable that I just trusted them and threw myself in the air, I even successfully did the crazy "catch". Good job, Alit, Jaffa, Mackinzie, Misaki and Roman.

Chris and Jerry at the golf team, thanks for the patient, although I got huge blister on my left hand, I enjoyed it so much and will try to keep going on practice it.

Archery Rizal, always safety first, not only make us enjoy the activity, but in a safe way.

Jono, where does he got all this energy from?

Mark, the kids loved to have him at the dinner table, they asked so many questions and enjoyed the quiz game very much.

Robert and Rian, you guys got amazing voices!

And the restaurant manager ( sorry, I forgot to ask the name) who always being friendly and helpful to us.

to sum up, it was such a enjoyable holiday and made me write my first vacation review in my life.

Well, to be fare, I also want to mention things that can still be improved.
1) please put some hooks in the bathroom for towels
2) pillows and quilts need to be aired more often, they start to smell a little musty

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

As we arrived to the resort we were treated like VIP’s. We were welcomed and the GO’s that were so excited to see us it was so heart-warming.
Karim and his team went out of their way to make us feel like we at home. The GO’s were like family that made sure that every minute of our stay was excellent.
Jono, Adi, Jade, Nico, Lauren, Cam, Fanny, Mark, Claudine, Riyan, Jinny, Christopher, Sun, Robert Jeff, Rym, Nicolas, Gabi… and whoever I’ve missed were OUTSTANDING.
From the moment we woke up to the late till the early hours of the morning we had a GO always concerned about us. If we had gone out of the village every GO had enquired on our return how was our visit. It felt like true concern and we just amazed.
Jono and Jade wow you never went to bed until we slept we are thankful. Adi thank for spending all your time with us.
Jade my boys will never be the same we are indebted to you for your kindness.
The food was superb thanks to Safi who never felt we were away from home. Thank you.
Everything in Club med Guilin is picturesque the surroundings to all the sport and leisure there has to offer from, biking, rock-climbing, golf, tennis, karaoke, live shows, art, mini club, superb spa.
I could go on and on how fantastic our stay was….

Room Tip: The Suite is great
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

The scenery is beautiful, nice environment. Facilities are not fully accessible, perhaps we went at the wrong timing. Food wise almost the same everyday, nothing fantastic. GO are friendly, no doubt about it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

it was our first club med experience. When me and my husband entered the lobby, we were amazed by the ambiance and the natural green surrounding. Room was cleaned, the only thing that was missing was towel hooks in the toilet. We loved the sofa and the extra blanket. Air-con & TV remotes are in Chinese difficult to understand :( . The food was awesome as well as the bar. Friendly GOs especially SATISHA & FENNY from the bar team, we would like to thank you both for the awesome hospitality !!! The yoga teacher (so sorry , i forgotten her name) thank you for giving me some useful yoga tips. I even received a gold medal on the stage and that was really COOL !! The cycling team brought us for the cycling tour, thank you so much !! We participated in Archery competition, my husband took the first place and me was in the fourth, we both received a gold medal, thank you RIZAL !!! How can i get my photos? Cause when we check-out, the photography section was closed :( . Last but not least, we are looking forward to visit this HAPPY VILLAGE again... :)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

We just spent 5D4N in Club Med Guilin from 25 - 29 Apr. The resort is located in a sprawling surroundings (with the help of a buggy, one can get from one spot to another in the resort easily). And as it's a fairly new resort, the rooms and facilities are still very new and clean.

We were blown away by the scenery that greeted us from the time we stepped into the resort. Rooms were very spacious too.

There were many activities (indoors and outdoors) available in the resort, e.g. Zumba fitness, rock climbing, pole dancing lessons, yoga, archery, golf, biking, indoor heated pool, outdoor pool, etc). We enjoyed our Zumba workout by Gabi, the G.O. in-charged of Zumba fitness. The rest of the G.Os. were fantastic as well. My son really enjoyed himself at the Petite/Mini Club too - special shout out to Nada (whom we also met when we were at Club Med Phuket).

The nightly shows by the G.O.s were entertaining and enjoyable. Free WIFI is available in the rooms as well as in parts of the resort. We also signed up for some excursion tours such as the Li River cruise and booked a cab to bring us to Yangshou "West St" for some shopping of local goodies.

Overall, it was an excellent vacation for the young, old and of course, the young at heart.

Two thumbs up and would definitely try to come back again.

Highly recommend Club Med Guilin for anyone who wishes to experience the beauty of Guilin and the all-inclusive vacation of Club Med.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Shanghai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Comfortable environment and excellent service is the best part of my vacation. You'll feel relaxed in such a good environment. GOs' meticulous care and attention gave me an unforgettable journey. If the next time I go to Guilin, Club Med Guilin will be my best choice.

• Stayed April 2014
Cedar Creek, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

When planning a recent two week getaway, my wife and I had two basic criteria:

1. Somewhere different
2. Somewhere relaxing.

Not wishing to travel half way around the world and arriving back home feeling more exhausted than before we left, we looked at destinations within ten hours of south east Queensland (Australia) where we live.

Having already traveled to most of SE Asia, we looked hard at China - outside of the big cities - and settled on Guilin. This is the area famed for mystical scenery and many natural attractions.

Further research showed that a new Club Med had opened in the area - more upmarket it seemed than our previous Club Med holidays taken more than a decade ago.

The Cathay flight (organised by Club Med as part of the all inclusive package) was hassle free, connecting in Hong Kong for a short one hour hop to Guilin.

It was raining a bit on arrival but we had expected that - this was not a beach holiday but one that turned out to be full of many cultural, natural and artistic surprises.

Accommodation
Our room was in the new Courtyard Hotel - a five story building in harmony with its surroundings. The room was pleasantly appointed and large enough for us for our stay.
Cable TV and free wi-fi were available, and our only small complaint about the room was the lack of bathroom hanging space for towels. No big deal but perhaps worth correcting.

Amazing setting in sculpture park
We already knew that the Club Med facility was formerly known as Yuzi Paradise - the brainchild of Taiwanese billionaire Tsao Rhy-Chang who had established it to promote and showcase contemporary art and culture.
Even so, we were stunned by the vast array of magnificent sculptures in the meticulously maintained park where Club Med resides. To take a leisurely walk around the grounds inspecting the various works of arts takes hours and occupied us on numerous occasions.

Excursions are not to be missed
Somewhat unusually for Club Med in my experience, this one encourages guests to take excursions into the countryside, either on pre-set or private tours, organized by Kika and her efficient team of GOs (Club Med term for the wonderful staff who ensure each guest or GM has a happy holiday) in the travel office.
We took a number of these, including a cruise on the famed River Li with a visit to the Crown Cave, a sidecar motorcycle tour with the incomparable Felix, a tea plantation visit and more.

Club Med activities
Like all Club Meds, there is heaps to do inside the facility. As well as sports, eating and drinking (see below) Club Med Guilin offers a magnificent spa facility which we highly recommend, an arts and craft centre with tuition covering everything from oil painting to soap making, plus yoga, tai chi, wine appreciation and much more.

Eats and drinks
Club Med is renowned for its food, and the selection at the main buffet was extensive, three meals a day. An additional Mongolian restaurant was open on selected days and required booking. Our only regret was that the Lotus restaurant was completing renovation and not open during our visit.
Not only was the food a highlight, but the restaurant experience itself. The GOs responsible for meeting, greeting and seating guests were friendly, engaging and attended to our every need - in particular Nicolas and Lucas.
Club Med has an all inclusive food and drinks arrangement at Guilin and the wines on offer were very good, as was the superb bar manager Ady who ensured our glasses were never empty.

Rock climbing challenge
With all that eating, drinking and sightseeing I felt the need for some exercise and for the first time tried my hand at rock climbing. With initial encouragement from the ever smiling sports GO Victor, I approached the rock climbing area with some trepidation, where eight or nine climbs of varying difficulty have been set up.
The Guilin area (especially nearby Yangshuo) is famous for its rock climbing facilities and attracts climbers from all around the world.
At Club Med, the facilities are first class, safety is paramount and the GOs highly trained.
With expert tuition and continual encouragement from the amazing Bren, I conquered my first climb satisfactorily and returned to do some more in the following days.
(As an aside, not only is Bren an accomplished rock climber but an exceptional dancer. His routine during the Burlesque show is of the highest standard and is a must-see).

Other sports
There are many sports on offer, all with quality equipment and great GOs who are expert in their area.
I also went mountain biking with Kirin and Rian (the latter has an exceptional singing voice and is heard in the evenings, although not often enough in my view!) and played tennis with the delightful coach, Claudine. We did some archery with the ultra-cool Mark, and I did some bumbling on the trapeze with the talented team of Alit, Mackinzie and Jaffa. This circus team (led by Roman) perform a most amazing evening show which is a Club highlight.

The shows
I have already alluded to some of the talented GOs who perform in the evening shows after dinner. These shows are incredibly professional, not just through the performances of the guys and girls who teach sports and other activities during the day but also the backstage GOs who put the shows together.
In particular, Lauren's costumes are sensational, Stephanie's choreography top class and Ari's sound/lighting of high quality.

The GOs
In my Club Med experience, ten holidays and counting, the GO team at Guilin is the absolute best. Without exception they were friendly, chatty, helpful and were committed to ensuring we had a wonderful time, which we did. To this end, the chief of village Karim must take some credit (happy birthday!).
I have already mentioned some of the GOs I had the pleasure of meeting and there were many others who impacted us in a very positive way.
In particular, (where is?) guest relations GO Fanny was terrific - she would help with any little matter and always had a joke and laugh no matter how busy she was overseeing a few hundred guests in the arrival area.
It is impossible to mention everybody who added to our most enjoyable holiday, and I am sure I have forgotten important ones and misspelt names - sorry! - but we also enjoyed the company of Gabi (never quite made it to zumba class!), Chris (golfer extraordinaire), Evelyn (made the restaurant experience hassle free no matter how busy), Angus and Mia (with Ady at the bar), Maxime and Carol (with Kika in excurions) plus many more. Thanks to you all!

A special GE
GEs are the local workers who have been trained by Club Med to do housekeeping, cleaning, clear dishes in the restaurants etc. One particular lady, Echo, captivated us with her humor, great sense of fun and command of English after only a short time on the job. If only I could learn Chinese so readily! Xie xie, Echo.

The summary
A great holiday on multiple levels - location, venue, activities, staff, catering, entertainment, value.
Highly recommended and we would go again anytime!

Room Tip: For our longer than normal stay of two weeks, our top floor room in the Courtyard Hotel away from th...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Club Med Guilin? Share your experiences!