“Cosy Spanish bistro with lovely decor ” 4 of 5 stars
Review of EL Tomillar

EL Tomillar
1/F, Siji Chuntian Hotel, No.66 Binjiang Road, Xiangshan District, Guilin 541000, China
0773-2888255
Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 283 Restaurants in Guilin
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Vientiane, Lao
“Cosy Spanish bistro with lovely decor ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We decided to stop in here for a quick bite before heading off to the airport. We were warmly welcomed by the waitresses and were greeted by a beautiful interior with a fusion of traditional and modern Spanish decor. The menu was vast and had all the popular traditional favourites.

The prices were slightly higher than what we'd expect to pay, but the food did not disappoint and brought back memories of Spain.

Excellent traditional dishes and genuine service. Would revisit!

Shenzhen
“Overrated and overpriced”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

My boyfriend and I were extremely excited about trying this restaurant. We'd eaten at an amazing Spanish restaurant in Thailand and were hoping for a similar experience. All of the reviews on tripadvisor made us think it was possible (except for one which I suspiciously can't find anymore). Service was subpar, but the real issue was the food. Maybe we ordered the wrong things, but of the 5 different dishes we ordered only the croquets were good. Some of the food wasn't cooked all the way and others were just not good. In the end, when we finally got our check, we found ourselves a little surprised. A coke was 3 times what we'd paid elsewhere in Guilin and I was actually charged 10 yuan for an 8 oz. glass of hot water (something that is free everywhere else in Guilin and China). We left extremely disappointed and we simply hope to give others a clearer view of the place. El Tomillar should not be #1 in Guilin, let alone top 5. We ate at many other much better places during our stay. This is a place you won't regret missing.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Somersworth, New Hampshire
“Overrated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Not so good. I ordered the T-bone steak and what I got was thinner than the bacon I had at breakfast in the hotel. The garlic bread they show with the mushroom soup on the menu was nowhere to be found.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Poor taste!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

This is the first time I came here. Oct 2nd. I have to say...the dishes here are really aweful. I've never had a chicken salad like the one I had here before. Soooooo careless food...I've been to the Barcelona for nearly two weeks, i luv tapas, but there is no tapas here, and it called itself 'indeed Spain' ... WHAT... Come on..then I had my mushroom spaghetti..it looks totally suck....I swear I will definitely come back again...

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cambridge, Canada
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Our family thoroughly enjoyed our food and time at El Tomillar. We were greeted by the friendly Spanish owner, José, of this restaurant, located just steps from the Sheraton. Our children (aged six and eight) loved their ham croquettes and salad (very fresh), and we loved our paella! If we had stayed in Guilin another night, we would have eaten here again. I mentioned to José that we had met a group of 12 people from Spain at the airport and he said they had been in for dinner the night before and were hoping to return that night for what they knew to be authentic Spanish food.

Visited July 2013