“Recommend this basic budget hostel” 3 of 5 stars

No.10 Donghua Road | No.10, Guilin 541001, China   |
Ranked #4 of 22 Specialty Lodging in Guilin
4.5 of 5 stars 193 Reviews
Hertfordshire
“Recommend this basic budget hostel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

I booked for three nights, however upon my arrival I quickly decided that Guilin itself isn't the right place for me and that I wanted to go onto the more picturesque Yangshuo. The hostel is good value for money, I paid £52 total for a three night stay. I was on the second floor and the wifi worked perfectly. Surprisingly comfy bed, i didnt sleep that well due to noise from busy road outside my window. I was unable to close my window as the lock was broken :-( , the walls are also very thin which meant the noise travelled easily to my room. Cleanliness was average but this didn't bother me as it was adequate for the price I paid. The shower was freezing cold and upon turning it on the whole bathroom was wet including the toilet as there is no shower curtain- not ideal but it's ok.

I would recommend this hostel but only to those who don't mind noise & cold showers.

The staff are excellent, I cannot fault them at all. Very helpful.

• Stayed October 2012
MingPalaceHostel, Manager at Guilin Ming Palace International Youth Hostel, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
I’m sorry that you didn’t find Guilin up to your expectations. However, I hope that you like the paysage of Yangshuo. Because of the convinient location of our hostel, near the renowned Li River and surrounded by many tourists sites, it also brings some noise of the trafic on the road. It’s a pity that you have to experience all that. Nevertheless, it’s only that one row of rooms that are affected by it, others are perfectly quiet. Next time when you stayed with us, we will surely arrange you a room of quietness and with a great view. Oh, do come by and visit us again! We can surely change the average impression you have formed of Guiln. As the heater is on the roof top, it may need a while for the hot water to come to the second floor. So, it would be better if you turn on the water and leave it for some time before get in to have a shower. But thank you so much for the suggestion of having a shower curtain. It’s a brilliant idea! As you have said, our hostel is cost-efficient. We will try our best to make it a perfect ecperience to stay here.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Guilin, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

The price started a little high for the room when we got here. After the first night we asked to get another room, no problem. The new room was a little bit smaller so we could actually stay in the old room for the same price as the smaller! Woho!
Great staff!

The Lobby/common area is great, relaxing music and comfy sofas.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

By far one of the best hostel I have ever stayed at. The rooms at this place were so spacious and comfy,stylishly decorated as the owner is a painter.The best location in Guilin,a few minutes walk from the Ming Palace in Guilin old quarter.The famous pedestrian street, a shopping paradise is about 500m away.Plenty of restaurants and eateries close by,2 supermarkets right across the road.
Downside: Expensive breakfast and drinks.The price of beer was 4 times the price of the ones sold across the road. So,those of you who loves to drink,just cross the road, and stock.Also,in my opinion,LiQ (a beer produced in Guilin is great),and better then famOus Chinese export,TSINGTAO.

Room Tip: The following rooms are great:201,301,401(the corner ones).
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I know of three International Youth Hostel in Guilin. All are very good but I like this one best. This is the second time I stayed at this nice clean friendly hotel. As others have said, the staff here is most impressive. The room was excellent, the people were nice and the breakfast buffet was very good. I Will stay again and would recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I kind of randomly chose this hostel but I am so glad I chose this one. It is simply one of the best hostels I've ever stayed at and I have stayed in over a hundred... The girls at the reception work hard (as well as everyone in the hostel) and service is very efficient.
Beds are comfortable, big lockers for each guest, private bathroom, toilet paper provided (it is rare in a hostel in China!), bed light and various plugs for each bed, cool chill area/bar with TV, pool table, food, drinks... I had a great time and had to extend my stay a few days. Thanks for teaching me mah-jong! One of the girls took me out for a BBQ and I tried food I had never tried before, delicious! I will definitely recommend this hostel to anyone I know going to Guilin!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
MingPalaceHostel, Manager at Guilin Ming Palace International Youth Hostel, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Hi, thanx for your review~
I just want you to know that we enjoyed your company as much as you enjoyed staying with us. It is a little bit of a pity that you didn't won during the ma-jong game, though. Hah, next time then! Hopefully we will see you again sometime in the future and you'll beat us all by then. Best wishes and lots of love to you.
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I stayed in MingPalace hostel during the busy chinese holiday period. Despite the busy time the staff was super friendly and helpful. It was nice to get to know them a bit better not just exchanging a few words while paying. They had time to talk/ interact with guests, made me feel like at home among friends, which was very nice. All that and more not mention that i left my lucky shorts in the hostel which i will collect in different part of China, thanks to amazing staff in Ming Palace :-) ..i thought i would never get the shorts back ..how cool is that?! Hostel itself is very clean and cosy. Highly recomended! Will be back!
Thomas

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Yangshuo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

We had a great experience in this hostel. The place is well located in a calm street. We had a large clean room for a 100/n. Staff was very friendly and helpfull, spoke quite good english. The common room are pretty big so that it doesn't get too loud. Good breakfast and fare price food. The 5th floor roof terrace also has a nice view.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Guilin Ming Palace International Youth Hostel? Share your experiences!