“Get the Value Rate!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shangri-La Hotel Guilin

Save Saved
You added Shangri-La Hotel Guilin to your Saves list
Shangri-La Hotel Guilin
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.111 Huancheng North Second Road, Guilin 541004, China   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
Drive your way to Guilin
Ranked #2 of 409 hotels in Guilin
Los Angeles, California
“Get the Value Rate!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

On our recent trip to China, we went to 7 cities, Guilin being one of the best and in the middle of our trip. Somehow, I stumbled upon something that the Shangri-La calls the Value Rate. I booked it online, on their website. For about $50 more per night, per room, we got airport transfers to and from the airport and we're picked up by a driver who offered us scented, cool washcloths and bottled water in the car. Also included was the buffet breakfast for two every day which was wonderful. There was an incredible selection of food and the wait staff was amazing. Even though, the dining room was filled with tons of people, they remembered us each day and what our preferences were - like preferring my cappuccino extra hot. Additionally included in the rate is unlimited laundry and dry cleaning. They picked up our clothing with 3 minutes of calling and everything was waiting for us at the end of the day on hangers and folded beautifully in wooden boxes with sachets. Lastly, you get late check out (6pm) and free wireless internet. This hotel is top notch with service that rivals any hotel in the world and the value rate package gave us a beautiful river view room with all of these added extras!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

538 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

An excellent hotel with all mod cons and all the trappings of a modern international hotel. And yet somehow it manages to have little touches which remind you that you are in China, not just anywhere in the world. An excellent lounge just off the main reception area had picture windows letting you sit and look at the tranquil areas outside in the grounds of the hotel. Although Guilin is promoted as a destination city, we saw none of that and were there to take the trip down the Li River. Well worth doing.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Bombay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

The experience was amazing!

The location of the property is very scenic. We got the lake facing rooms. It is expensive but worth the money. The hotel has ample space around it. Its famous to the cabbies just drive you there(if you do not know Chinese).

The rooms are big(as you expect them to be), well designed and well equipped.

The food is excellent.

The hospitality has to get a special mention here coz unfortunately while taking an evening stroll in downtown, I met with an accident and broke my arm. We immediately went back to the hotel and they arranged for whatever help possible. They sent their staff with us to the hospital who got the medical aid done(since we had no clue about Chinese language). He got us back and the hotel even helped us to book our return flight to Beijing the next morning.
Had this hotel not been there, I don't know how we would have managed(I had to go through a surgery once I reached back in Bombay).

Its a 5 star in the real sense!

I long to go back to the hotel and enjoy my incomplete stay there in future.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Beijing, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I stay here this April, this hotel is very beautiful and comfortble, and it's convenient to take bus or taxi. Shangri - la was alwaysmy fist choice when I come to other city. Food is also delicious and valuable, and the staff were very nice. The garden is beautiful, and the pool is so large.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Yep, there's no denying that my wife and I have an aversion to the pungent disgusting smell of cigarette smoke. But everyone to their own hey! Unless of course you are staying at a 5* hotel the likes of the Shangri-la. I certainly understand that in many parts of China that smoking is standard fare, that many retailers fear losing business should they deny people the privilege of smoking in public places (such as restaurants, hotel foyers, bars, waiting areas etcetera), however I have to say that if China is to a) be accepted by westerners in the 21st century, b) make an attempt to slow in some small way the unbelievable pollution encroachment throughout China and c) consider the issues that passive smoking attracts, then ultimately tourism will not be as strong as it could be.

Moving on but please excuse my self indulgence… Guilin city, for all its marvellously manicured medium strips and overtly lit ‘two rivers and four lakes’, it does not have many redeeming features – at least in this westerner’s eyes. (See my reviews on Li River and Crown (Guanyan) Cave tours for outside Guilin).

Before concentrating on the Shangri-La, I have to make comment on some other things. Firstly westerners have to ‘suck it up’ in accepting Chinese custom. Facing facts, many (not all) Chinese snort, spit, slurp, smoke, push and shove. What’s more, in a country of so many it is understandable that it is a bit of a dog eat dog environment where frankly, the only thing on many a mind is MAKING MONEY. My wife is Chinese and I actually thought she understood her own country. To the contrary she proved completely oblivious to what was going on around us.

In Guilin the taxi drivers are very nice indeed, more than accommodating in recommending places to go, where to eat, what tours to book, to the point where in our case we were offered a full day’s taxi for a mere 50 rmb! Wow you think… Until I quickly realised that at our first stop – a so called famous tour operator – we were royally ripped off (once again refer to reviews mentioned earlier). Next day – the 50 RMB ‘free’ day, our fantastic taxi tour guide takes us to the first of our ‘highly recommended’ stops. The Yaoshan Mountain cable car proved terrific, if not for the poor weather and stunted views thanks to the weather and smog.

Just why our taxi driver waited for us though had me baffled… On the way back to town the driver suggested the Guilin Tea Research Institute for some free tea tasting. It proved the case with some lovely teas and a great personalised tour – but come the end and we are coerced into buying ridiculously expensive teas (the taxi driver was finally found talking to the Tea office people – I wonder what for!) – talk about the hard sell! Next we are dropped off for lunch at what proved to be a fly ridden, overly priced disgrace of a restaurant. It all started to fall into place! Never mind, the day went on and the blatant hand greasing between taxi driver and ‘retailers’ continued.

What about the Shangri-La you ask? Its grounds, frontage, foyer and so forth are grandiose as expected and of the absolute highest calibre. Indeed this is Guilin’s best hotel by far. The staff was great, the facilities great, the breakfast great, indeed there was very little for complaint. Having arrived at around 8.30pm on the first night meant that a meal would have to be relatively quick. We considered the main restaurant, however being a buffet it is too easy to over indulge, next there was the U Bar, a western style bar with all the trimmings – well, that was until we walked in and my wife literally started choking on the smell and smoke. We quickly moved to the Shang Chinese restaurant where the meal proved okay (expensive), the tea average and only luke warm and the staff more interested in getting out that assisting. Not a great start.

What’s more, on booking in the attendant pushed like crazy for us to spend an additional 400 RMB per day to upgrade to Horizon status (something we would normally not hesitate, but my wife had unfortunately booked a bunch of all day and into the night tours), however as it was obvious to us that we would not use nor benefit from the upgrade we said no – at least 6 times!

Other than this the room although relatively small, was of a high standard with all the trimmings. The bed though was too hard making for poor sleep the 4 nights we were there. The pillows for fine though!

Overall I have to say that irrespective of the minor issues with the Shangi-La, it is a worthy facility and one I would recommend.

Room Tip: Stay away from taxi drivers offering to assist with tour bookings. If you are not a smoker, make sur...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights on vacation.

This is my first trip to Guilin but every time we stay in Shangri-la, we have the feeling that we are back. Everything is the way it should be. The bed was superb and I think they use the same bedsheet in every hotel because it feels so familiarly comfortable..... Absolutely no complains on the room amenities and cleanliness.

Check-in at the horizon club was smooth and even though they could not find my Golden Circle membership number (totally my fault as I forgot to bring my card), they made every effort to locate my details. Its difficult to imagine this as most of us will normally want to get to our rooms asap but we really enjoy the check-in process and talking to the front desk staff.

We were given the option to upgrade to a river-view room for RMB100/night and we took it up. However, we did not have much time in the room to enjoy the view as we were out most of the time.

We definitely have to pay more for staying at the hotel but after a "tough" day of sightseeing, it feels so good to be back in the room and knowing that everything is up to the highest international standards!!!

Room Tip: River-view rooms, is it worth it? "Yes", if you have no time to go to the scenic places...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Stayed here one night. Hotel was up to shangri-la standards. Would highly recommend it. The lobby bar was quiet and relaxing - a good place to chill. This was a great way to start our weekend in Guilin and yangshuo

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Shangri-La Hotel Guilin? Share your experiences!