“Great value, great location, but....” 4 of 5 stars

Lakeside Inn
No.1-1-2 Shan Lake Building, Shan Lake North Road, Guilin 541002, China   |
Ranked #5 of 471 hotels in Guilin
San Diego, California, United States
“Great value, great location, but....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Lakeside is a very small hotel, with maybe 4 rooms. The rooms are pretty small and a bit Spartan, but they are a great value. The location, right on the lake was outstanding. We were only a couple of blocks from all the shopping and activity we could handle. If you are on a budget, this is the place to be. We booked the room through hostelbookers.com and it worked well.

Room Tip: We had the Deluxe Garden View room with a private bath. That's the ticket!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

93 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Arlington, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We were jumping for joy when we arrived at the Lakeside Inn and saw what we were getting for our travel dollars. A very small inn with comfy wooden tables and big chairs on the ground level, where they serve drinks, sandwiches and pizza. Upstairs are three rooms. Our room was wonderfully spacious with everything we needed to be happy - well functioning bathroom, bedside lamp, internet connection, comfortable bed. Best was yet to come (we discovered) as we stepped out from the Inn to explore the area: we were not many meters from the lake, facing the Sun and Moon Pagodas. Amazing! In our 4 days there we walked the paths around the charming lakes and browsed in the pedestrian markets nearby.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Shanghai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Great little inn near the lake! It was located near many shops & restaurants! We stayed for two nights and the room was clean with a comfortable bed! The American breakfast in the restaurant was not only a great value, but delicious as well!

• Stayed October 2013
AUSSIE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I was a nice enough hotel, but not fantastic. Location is really good and staff friendly, but we ordered coffee and pizza for a snack at around 4.00pm and it took well over an hour, it needs to be a lot quicker. the rooms were very clean but the shower room was not very clean, and the toiletries in the shower were cheap quality(I mean really cheap) so did not feel refreshing or clean. I probably would stay there again, but next time I know what to expect.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
tokyo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We had to book a family room since couples rooms were booked out. But we were super happy with our room. The shower/bathroom was excellent and the room was wonderful.

We arrived really late at night and the girl at the reception was very young and inexperienced and she wasn't able to give us the information that we wanted and couldn't give as a good description of how to find the hostel.
Something happened because the next morning around 11am she was still working (she said someone got sick or something). So we never managed to talk with anyone else to answer our questions. However she really made an effort to help us.

The location was central and easy to get to the bus station to go to Yangshuo.

Another tip, the shuttle bus from Guilin airport to the center is the cheapest option, then a taxi.

The hotel should make some landmarks clear to find the hotel, we arrived late with bags in a taxi on a dark street corner, and we didn't know if it was right. The driver phoned the hotel and took us round the block before going back to the same corner. If they just say what landmarks to look for it will be more helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I read all the reviews and was so happy to have got this room
about a few hours later I wanted to book tours from the hotel as well as booking an extra night due to problems with flights.
I couldn't contact them at all the hostelbookers more like the hostil bookers never returned my emails until 2 days later then it was only to say email the hotel directly hello the email doesn't work.
6 days later the hostil bookers email with confirmation of the hotel
5 min later the hotel finally emails me saying my booking is cancelled and to book more accomadation what is weird is the email address was different instead of guilinn@hotmail the email came from a web address guilin -hostel
I don't know what to do
I would have lost my money on this booking also when I accessed their website my computer went down and I have had bogas emails telling me to change my paypal details
I think this is disgusting what shall I do if I don't show I will be charged so I don't know if the booking has really been cancelled hostil bookers don't return emails only adverts about 3 a day

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Erding, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Although we very not very lucky with the weather we were even more lucky with the hostel choice! The lakeside inn has a perfect location in the city center of Guilin. Our room was very clean and equipped with everything you need (e.g. air conditioning). The staff is very helpful (e.g. they gave me a rain-cape before we left the hotel for a day trip) and speaks perfect English which is not taken for granted in China! You can book organized day trips at the hostel bar. Another service they offer: If you plan to leave Guilin by train you can contact them via email and they will organize your train tickets in advance! Great service!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Lakeside Inn? Share your experiences!