This hotel is all about its location. It is located in Liwan district with immediate access to Shangxia Jiu St (shopping and food). Walk the other way and it leads you to QingPing Lu for pet shops and rows and rows and buildings of Chinese dried goods which are sold at wholesale prices! An overhead bridge further from QingPing will lead you to Shamian Island - all within walking distance. This is important for our 3 nights stay, as it rained for 2 days and we still get to enjoy the best of Guangzhou.
- Very big but smells damp, rather dated and poorly maintained. Its furnishing is as expected of a 4-star hotel
- Bed is very comfortable and that is a redeeming factor
- Bath room has a blind that separates the glass wall which was dirty and worned.
- the tap water (not sure if its in this part of China) after boiling comes with a unique taste. So had to buy more bottled water, although 2 free bottles given.
- the hotel only accept certain currency for changing money and unfortunately, Singapore $ is not one of them
- When we checked in at 4pm, one of our 3 rooms was not ready! We were asked to go in at 5pm. Had to request for a change of room as the one that was the last to be ready was reeking of cigrette smell.
- Although next the major shopping street, the room was very quiet and we could sleep well.
- professional reception and concierge service.
- asked for extra kids pillow from housekeeping and although prompt, I find it strange that the lady had to barge into my room to pass the pillows to my kids... she was expecting a tip.
Location for great food/mani-pedi and shopping
- coming back to location, if you are staying here, or shopping at ShangXia - must try Lian Xiang Lou. It is one of the over hundred years old Cantonese restaurant that is still around. The food was fantastic and the price reasonable. We had many meals here and every meal and dish was unforgettable.
- GuangZhou restaurant, another "founding restaurant" of Cantonese cuisine is right across the street and can be seen from our room. The food is pleasant (winner of many awards) and focuses on bringing out the natural food taste, which can be bland to some. Price is about double that of Lian Xiang Lou.
- There is a nail parlour just next to the hotel. Very reasonably priced and although I had my nails done at 10.15pm after all the shopping, they were still smiling and attentive.
- We could also bring up our shopping bags and go down for another round of shopping!
Based on the above, I will still come back to this hotel and will recommend it to anyone visiting GZ who love good food and shopping (economical). As long as the hotel and room's standard does not deteriorate any further...
Ask for the room facing the Shangxia Jiu shopping street. It will not be noisy. If its facing the o...
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.