“Good, but with strings attached” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Jianguo Hotel to your Saves list
Agoda.com Travelocity
Jianguo Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.172 Linhe Middle Road, Tianhe District, Guangzhou 510610, China   |
Ranked #29 of 2,387 hotels in Guangzhou
Lithuania
“Good, but with strings attached”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Of course, the main feature that this hotel is literally 'on' the East Railway Station makes it superb place to stay if u need to go to Shenzhen or Dongguan. Yeah, getting good rates via booking website's makes it even better, but the cleanness and staff support is not so great as ones could expect from 5* hotel.

Been there twice and both times once in a year - can admit, they are getting worse, but not as bad as ones could expect for as low as 600 RMB per night.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

453 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

this is a nice business hotel. I stayed there july 2012.

i booked an executive room with agoda, since it is only a few dollars more than the superior room with breakfast.

after printing the hotel voucher, i was a little shocked as it indicated "No breakfast". If i change my booking, there is a penalty of 10 us dollar.

This is the dilemna in booking a "chinese" brand 5 star hotel. Sometimes their executive room does not mean executive/club room, but just room with a working table, or internet, or whatever.

For western branded hotel like westin shanghai, executive room always comes with breakfast at the lounge, if they indicate free breakfast, then you have the choice of eating at their main dining area, meaning more choices of food.

Alas Jianguo is a true 5 star hotel. They gave me free breakfast for my room and there is an executive lounge where you can use computer and have afternoon tea.

The location of jianguo is beside east railway station of guangzhou. ikea and justco is just stone's throw away.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We travelled to Guangzhou from Hong Kong for a quick city break, so wanted a hotel that was convenient to the train station, had good access to transport in the city, and was clean and well run. The Jianguo Hotel definitely ticked all those boxes, and at great value (we got our room for about $60 on Agoda without breakfast).

The rooms were very comfortable, and have been recently renovated. The beds were comfortable, not the super hard type you find in some Chinese hotels. The bathroom was extremely clean with new fittings and a nice, hot shower. Whilst the hotel is on a busy road, we couldn't hear any traffic noise from our room (on the 12th floor) and had a very good night's sleep.

The staff was very nice, and we went through check in and check out quite quickly. The concierge speaks fairly good English as well.

As we were in town to see the sites, we didn't check out the pool (closed for winter cleaning when we were there in December), restaurants or spas but the hotel has plenty of these.

Overall, on a par with much pricier, international hotel chains as a base for exploring the city. You probably wouldn't want to spend a week just hanging out at this hotel, but as a place to lay your head and relax in your room at the end of a long day it's definitely recommended.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I chose this hotel because of its location, connectivity, quality of rooms, and pricing (got mine at US$70 inclu taxes).
Location : It's not exactly at the heart of Tianhe, the main shopping area but close enough. Right next to Ikea and the Popark mall, where there's Jusco & its supermarket and numerous restaurants so if you feel tired after a day's shopping, you can easily grab a bite here.
Connectivity : hotel is just a minute walk away from the subway, on Line 1. You get off on the last station which is GZ East Railway Station. This station will also connect you to Line 3 which is a direct line to the airport. I don't like taking taxis in GZ, and have never taken one on my previous visits as I have heard pretty negative things. Most of the main shopping areas and wholesale malls are a few stations away.
Quality & pricing : this hotel offers great value; I was really surprised the 1st time I stayed here. For the kind of price, you'd expected much less but this wasn't the case. Clean rooms, comfortable beds, stylish corridors and full amenities. Didn't try the breakfast but did the dim sum in the Chinese restaurant. Reasonable but I found the food so-so.
This is a hotel worth staying if you plan to spend most of the time shopping & sightseeing and just want a safe and comfortable place to sleep in. Plus the price is hard to beat.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the city , as the other side faces a building under construction.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Unlike a couple of the other hotels we attended in the 3 or so weeks leading up to our stay at the Jianguo, the fact that this hotel is situated a little away from the centre of Guangzhou made no appreciable difference to the quality of our stay.

In other words, distance in this instance proved both irrelevant and easy to control in that literally the amazingly efficient subway system which is easily entered via the many entrances of the Guangzhou East station and that is literally a 2 minute walk from the Jianguo Hotel, made getting around so easy.

We booked a Business Suite for its 65m size but were surprised at how small it felt. It was a case of design rather than false claims as the room was in fact very large with floor to ceiling windows the full length of the front and on one side, it was resplendent with a large desk, free WiFi, couch, table and chairs and a wonderfully comfortable King sized bed with terrific doona and pillows. Perfect for a good night's sleep.

Our room was at the front of the building and offered a wonderful outlook, but not such a good view from the quirky bathroom. Indeed the 10+ year old interior is quite unusual offering funky living. The bathroom is really different, but best you find out for yourself.

If possible, arrange for a city view room at the front of the hotel as the building works behind the building is ugly to the max. Indeed, even once the work is complete you will still be faced with an average outlook.

General amenities were of a decent standard, suffice to say the gym although clean and with a permanent attendant, lacked equipment, yet offered niceties including male and female saunas and great change rooms, the pool was nice but out of service at the time, I didn't attend the neat spa / massage facility, whereas my wife and I attended breakfast each morning.

I've read comments by others about the food, some good, some average, and I have to say that I am definitely erring on the average side. It definitely lacked western food options.

On a parting note and I hate to say I forgot the lady cleaners name, but she was absolutely fantastic doing not only a brilliant job of cleaning the room, but literally running to get the job done quickly. Fantastic!

For price, position and general overall quality you would be hard pressed finding much better in Guangzho

Room Tip: Book a room at the front of the building
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Sometimes you don't really care for opulence, nor luxury, just a simple value for money hotel. The location is very close to the GZ east train station. About 3 minutes walk, make it 5 minutes if you are of a more relaxed walking pace.
The hotel is clean, which is always a bonus. The check in and checking out procedure efficient.
The beds hard, as with most Chinese hotels.
This is strictly a travelers/business hotel - not for a romantic getaways for two.
the price of around 70USD a night is very reasonable.
One negative- the menu is overpriced, and my 5 year old can cook better- so eat out, and sleep in.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
mumbai, jersey city
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights with my family, location wise this hotel is 5 mins walk to Guangzhou East station from where you can get connected to Shenzhen and then Hongkong, check-in was ok..post check-in one over smart bell boy almost took my luggage forcefully and demanded tip against it when we entered room.. That time I was not carrying much local currency, so just offered him just 5 Yuan, upon that he gave me a long lecture on minimum tipping standards in China...hotel management should make such bell boys understand first that any guest voluntarily gives tips if Guest is happy with the services..and tips are not suppose to be demanded..room was spacious and clean..room had a mini bar too but prices are exorbitantly high..I would suggest visiting Jusco super market just opposite to the hotel for anyone's need of soda or beer or chips..next day we went for break fast in hotel's restaurant on 2nd floor I guess, there after I was informed that I am eligible to get only one complimentary break-fast though I have booked a room for two people...while booking I didn't see any option to select break-fast for two people else I would have selected that option.. I was given an option to pay on the spot for that day's break fast but I dint select it as their staff had already started winding up brk-fast food stalls by 10.15 am..in mean time i took a sip of an orange juice from my partner's glass..this was noticed by one of their restaurant manager..he straight away came to my table.. took away all spoons, forks dishes in front of me so that I should not eat from my partner's break fast...I found this behavior very insulting..I wonder restaurant staff is trained for such type of Hospitality?? I wanted to convey this to front desk but again they had very limited English understanding..and finally I gave up...These back to back incidences spoiled my stay at this hotel..Dont feel like recommending this hotel to foreigners..if you speak Chines things might be better with you..

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Jianguo Hotel? Share your experiences!