“Average” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Landmark Canton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Landmark Canton Hotel to your Saves list
Landmark Canton Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.8 Qiaoguang Road, Haizhu Square,Yuexiu District, Guangzhou 510115, China   |
Ranked #103 of 2,545 hotels in Guangzhou
Lichfield
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here quite a few times over the years.
It's not bad, but underwhelming. At least the staff are now friendly.
The rooms are very small. The double bed its not quite big enough and you risk being thrown out if your bed mate moves in the night.
They still have not spruced up the top floor breakfast room, although the selection is good the chairs are knackered and rock hard, the filling having long since given up under the pounding of countless bums.
There's loads of hotels in Guangzhou, I'm sure I can find better, and next time I'll be trying an alternative

• Stayed October 2012

336 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Guangzhou itself is not an attractive city - its a manufacturing city but the Pearl River and the riverfront promenade at night is quite stunning - such a contrast. And the Hotel Landmark Canton is right on the Pearl River! Great views from the top floor restaurant. The hotel has recently had quite an extensive refurb & is therefore in quite good nick. Internet worked well - TV had some English-language stations. No inroom ironing board was a bit odd. Very efficient service from staff but lacks a little in atmosphere/personality. Great if you're visiting for shopping or you're looking for wholesalers - easy walk into the shopping district. Great sidewalk restaurant just around the corner - always packed with locals and visitors.
Sightseeing/Attractions Tip: You must do the Pearl River Cruise - there's a number of operators. Nice leisurely cruise with quite stunning lighting of buildings, bridges, stadiums etc. Very enjoyable

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

LOCATION
Very near Haizhu square and Metro Station. I chose this hotel since I wanted to go shopping around the area for wholesale gift items. This hotel is also a main stop for buses that travel to and from HongKong and Macau. I took a bus from HK Airport to Guangzhou, and it dropped me off directly in front of the hotel. If I wanted to visit Macau, there are also buses waiting outside the hotel that will bring me directly to the Zhuhai border.

ROOMS
I got the cheapest room, so I got a really small old room, with old furnishings and old bathroom fixtures. It's good if you only plan to sleep at night and go around the city during the day. But if you want to lounge around your hotel room, try to get the next room category, which I hear is better.

BUFFET BREAKFAST
I love the breakfast buffet! The food is great.....lots of choices.....and the view is priceless!! Do get a table near the window for a view of the Pearl River.

VALUE FOR MONEY
This hotel can get very expensive during peak season (Canton Fair season), but they offer good rates on regular days. But I will only choose this hotel if I need stay in the Haizhu wholesale area.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Moana, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I spent 4 nights at the Landmark in Canton last week - it is reasonably priced with comfortable rooms. The bed was good and the standard of housekeeping was excellent. The lobby bar is grotty and needs refurbishing. There are around 6 staff behind the bar none of whom is particularly keen on serving but this is sometimes down to the embarrassment felt by Chinese people about not being able to speak English . One night I ordered a Gin and Tonic and waited 20 minutes only for a piece of strawberry cake to arrive. If you are staying at this hotel for the Canton Fair they offer an efficient and free bus service to the Fair and back , also you can pre-register for the event at the hotel itself . There are a number of interesting, riverside restaurants nearby but the Cantonese restaurant in the Hotel ( first floor of the atrium) was very , very good indeed. We did struggle to sleep on a few nights due to the selection of odd and intermittent noises coming from outside of the hotel, random mechanical dog barking sound and a sound like an old metal sign swinging in the wind, luckily I had Valium with me so it wasn’t a problem but several colleagues changed rooms to get away from this, not the hotels fault though. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Standard room was more than adequate , nice walk in shower.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Booked a Deluxe Twin Room with River View which said it was between 13th-19th floor, and features modern Chinese-style furnishings and flatscreen tv. Luckily, it was exactly as described. I had read some reviews that got me worried. We had a room on the 17th floor and had an amazing view of the River. Everything seemed new, and most importantly, clean!! The beds were comfy and had no troubles sleeping. The bathroom came with a rain-shower head, which felt extra luxurious. Fitness facility had limited equipment, but it was good enough for a quick workout. Location was great! Very close to the Haizhu Square train station. There's also a 24hr (I think..it was open even at 4am, so I'm assuming its 24/7) seafood restaurant for dim sum around the corner. There's a convenient store in the lobby, and a 7-11 a block away. There's also a night club (Hei Hei Club) next door - Hiphop/house/top40. The staff was extremely helpful and knowledgeable.

We saw a floor from the elevator that wasn't renovated and it did seem very dated, and that's how I feel some of the reviews were based on. So the key is to make sure you were on renovated floor!

I also stayed at Guangzhou Hotel, which was a few blocks away from Landmark Hotel. That hotel felt very dated compared to this. So if you were comparing which of the 2 to stay at...choose Landmark!

I had absolutely no issues. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Try and get yourself a renovated room!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Jakarta, Indonesia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I go to Guangzhou as many as 5 times a year. The first time I went to Guangzhou (2006) I didn't know where to stay. I browsed through internet and found that Landmark Canton Hotel is the nearest to my supplier's office. I never stayed at the Landmark Canton so I didn't know what to expect. But according to my friends who have stayed there before the hotel is relatively clean and has an easy access to the surrounding area. The recommendation turned out to be a true one. I found the hotel clean (despite the hygiene situation in China). From that moment on I always stay there. And I have recommended the hotel to my friends and colleagues. But my last experience has changed my opinion about the hotel.

Last time I stayed there was during my quick trip to Guangzhou (September 1 - September 4). I entered the room and found the room dirty. I can tell the carpet hasn't been vacuumed. And to my horror when I went inside the bathroom I found the bath mat was dirty (black-ish and it seemed like it has mold all over it), the bath curtain was also dirty. To top all of that the toilet was unable to be flushed. I have complained several times to the front desk and to room service but to no avail. I told them that the safe deposit box was not working either. The room service came to my room and to my horror just take the safe deposit box and changed into a new one. It left me fearing that if someone decided to steal my safe deposit box they could just take mine and replaced with a new (and empty) one. So I felt disappointed with how they responded to my complaints.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
SG City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

We have stayed five nights with this hotel. We were given a newly renovated room. Everything is good and very comfortable. Location is good. Right smack at down town and near MTR. In the evening, they will place hotel slippers to ready the masters. Good service and very comfortable stay. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Landmark Canton Hotel? Share your experiences!