“Could be better” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre

You added Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.339 Huanshi East Road, Yuexiu District, Guangzhou 510098, China   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #14 of 2,830 Hotels in Guangzhou
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Singapore
“Could be better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Not as good as I would expect from Crowne Plaza. I arrived middle of the night, checked-in and ordered room service. The porridge is just tasteless. Went for a shower next and noticed big gap between glass door and panel. Wanted to check email in bed but noticed the wifi coverage is less then ideal. Hope it can be better next time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
CPCityCentreGZ, Public Relations at Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Distinguished Guest,
Thank you for choosing Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre on your recent stay in Guangzhou. We would also express our appreciation for your comments as well as the photos.

Please do accept our sincere apology for any inconvenience caused by the room service, the gap in the washing room and the Wifi speed. We would like to assure you that we have communicated your feedback to the concerned department and corrective action has been taken.

I hope that this experience will not deter you to visit us again in the near future. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again.

Yours Sincerely,

cynthia.xia@gz63.cn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
devon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I have visited Guangzhou many times for business over the last few years and stayed in an array of the centrally located hotels. The Crowne Plaza City Centre definitey ranks top of my list and I will now continue to stay there time and time again.
The location is perfect and is pretty much as central as you can get, which is ideal for getting around. The rooms are excellent, very clean and comfortable with all the amenities which you could possibly want, plus more. The variety of foods served at the breakfast and dinner buffets were delicious and really give you an insight into the delicious asian cusines!
What set this hotel apart from the other 5 star hotels which I have stayed in around the Guangzhou area were the staff. Namely the three Canadian staff which are now working at the hotel and liasing specifically with Western visitors. This proved incredibly helpful, as those who have visited China before will know how tricky and somewhat overwhelming the country can be, particularly when it comes to the lack of English spoken in even the highest classes of hotels. The Canadian team helped us and I would say bent over backwards with every aspect of our stay; from talking us through the Chinese cuisines to even helping us deal with the Chinese banks!
A fantastic hotel and a great experience on the both times which I have visited. I will be back again!

Room Tip: It's worth paying the extra for the club rooms. They very comfortable and roomy and the club lo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
CPCityCentreGZ, Public Relations at Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience. We are delighted you have chosen to stay with us and that you are satisfied with our service, food and facilities. We were delighted to receive such recognition.

The "Three Musketeers" from Canada have been praised by many guests for their excellent service and they are the model for every other hotel staff. Thanks for your compliment and we will continuously offer you the best service we can.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards,
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Pro(s) great bed to sleep in (not to mention, excellent pillow). Good location too. Good live music in the evening. Rooms are cleaned very well.

Con(s): Front desk staff are quite snobbish and may be rude. When we checked in, they couldn't verify our Platinum status for some reason. The assistant manager gave me his card and ask me to contact priority club (which I did) and I forward him a copy of the email the next day confirming our Platinum membership. He didn't reply. I went to inform other managers -they weren't bothered. Therefore, we were denied our privileges as a platinum member and had to pay extra for breakfast and other services that we normally get for free!

Bad concierge service: we asked for hiring private cars with drivers - they recommended us their 'private contacts' and thought that we are 'foreigners' and therefore can skimmed us.

Unfortunately we know China well and have done business in China for several years, just that our driver was not available for a few days. Cut the story short, the concierge service and people are not to be trusted.

In addition to that, one particular night, one of the senior employees at the hotel was at the lobby bar with some friends one evening. They had an argument (yes publicly!) and the senior employee threw the glass wine on the floor and shouted at his friends who I think have turned enemy! The other employees working in the bar were so afraid and had to do all the cleaning up after the mess.

The gym is lousy too (when compared to most of the 5 star hotels that I've stayed and the other crown plaza hotels that I've used before). The equipment are worn out, the room is dark, water supply is limited ( should have mineral water bottles - no plastic cups!), the audio and music system in the gym room is broken!

All in all, it is pointless to have first class infrastructure with 3 world mentality people running it,

Room Tip: Apply for priority club rewards - they provide you with upgrades depending on your status.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Gaston,
We would like to thank you for taking your time to write your review on your recent visit to Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre.

After reading your review I was very concerned to learn that your experience was far from satisfactory, please accept our sincere apology for not being able to meet up to your expectation.

The training of our colleagues is a vital part of our operation and we do apologize for their not having being attentive and focused.

Rest assured that all of your comments have been addressed to the team and corrective measures have been taken in order to ensure comfort, consistency and efficient service to all our guests in future.

Whilst I certainly regret that your recent experience at Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre left you feeling disappointed, I do hope that you will allow us the opportunity to restore your confidence in our service standards.

We all are looking forward to the possibility of welcoming you back to our Hotel and I am certain we will be able to redeem ourselves on the next occasion. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you wish to further discuss your stay or any other assistance required.

Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Location
The hotel is centrally located and its across from the Garden Hotel which is easily accessible with the Hong Kong Bus station. The subway station is really close to the hotel

Check in
We have confirmed non-smoking room. At check in time, we were
told the room is treated with non-smoking and the non smoking level is not available. I have to ask why the non-smoking level is not available as we are confirmed on non smoking room
The staff is willing to upgrade us to Deluxe room

Dining
The buffet restaurant offer many varieties of food.
But the hot plate is only warm not hot. They have king crab leg, shrimp and mussels in the buffet. But the seafood is not too fresh.
The price is reasonable.
The Chinese restaurant that served dim sum is excellent.
Don't forget to ask for dining discount card that offer 20% off at check in counter.

Room
The room is clean and large but the bed is small as they offer twin bed. The washroom is big and offer seperate shower area.

The hotel staff speak good English and is willing to help

Overall I would recommend this hotel to others

• Stayed December 2012
CPCityCentreGZ, Public Relations at Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Dear Honored Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with regards to your recent stay with Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre.

We much appreciated for your kind compliments of the hotel, and pleased to read that you have enjoyed with us. Meanwhile, we would also like to express our apology for any inconvenience and uncomfortable caused to you in your check in and about the buffet seafood. We are communicated your feedback to concerned department and the investigation is in process.

Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre will spare no efforts to deliver consistently good service to provide the home away from home for all the hotel guests.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be any of your assistance I would be more than happy to help.

Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights. The hotel location was good. There was a variety of restaurants nearby the hotel. We had dinner at a famed chinese restaurant within the hotel. Highly recommended. There was a big Jusco opposite the hotel so you can grab quick bites and drinks easily. Not much shopping nearby the hotel so we took a cab to the malls and street markets. If you do not fancy cabs, there is a 5 minutes walk to the subway station. The breakfast was very good. Food spread was excellent and fresh. Room design and layout was modern and new. Not much view around the hotel. It was surrounded by old houses (a bit dark for me too). Hotel service was prompt and good - the staff did not chat much too. Overall, if you want a good decent hotel with good amenties and in a good location, i highly recommend this. I will definitely consider staying here again for my next trip.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Honored Guest,

Greetings from Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre.

We are delighted you have chosen to stay with us and that you are satisfied with our service! Our team strives to exceed the expectations of our guests and provide the true hospitality of a 5 star hotel. Next time you come to Guangzhou, welcome to explore more about Guangzhou as well as our hotel.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need any assistance. All Team Members at Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre are looking forward to welcoming you again.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is a fairly new hotel,the rooms are really nice and newly furnished..the location is fairly decent which is near the Tao Jin station although there are not alot of eateries around,mainly the food chains...there is a jusco opposite with a herbal tea store,which was really useful for when I had sore throat during the trip.perhaps the one thing that could be better was to keep the gym 24 hrs?it closes at 11 which meant that there was no time to put in some exercise hours after dinner.fhis is especially since the hotel that we stayed before and after both had 24 hrs gym.

Now for a piece of outstanding service that impressed us alot...I had a minor case of allergic reaction that resulted in rashes and I had left the antihistamines that I usually take in Hong Kong...we called the reception at about 1225 and they helped us call all the pharmacy around,but most were closed already

We hanged up and I was preparing to sleep through the itch but they called and suggested they accompanied us to the local hospital for medication...

So we met Jeff downstairs who was from the concierge counter who accompanied us in our taxi to the hospital..what followed was an eye opening experience of the good and bad of china. The first clinic we went had a doctor who was sleeping(literally) and woke up when we went in (which probably explains his grumpiness).he at first refused to sell any anti histamine,but subsequently agreed to sell us his own brand of anti histamine,except that I had to have an injection first...what a weird request. Not wanting to risk an injection by a sleepy grumpy doctor ,we went on to find other places for anti histamine..

All through Jeff was helping us find various places we could try in the taxi that we booked..he was helping us to liase with the taxi driver,the ..even when we gave up and wanted to just go back,he was running down from the taxi and helping us find the nearest clinic...we finally found a hospital that was open and willing to prescribe us some anti histamine,the whole trip Tool about 1-2 hours of running around and if not for Jeff's willingness to go all out of the way for us,I would have been itching the whole night...

The next day before checking out,the duty manager still came to us to ask if I was feeling better,all that made it felt like my well-being was really looked after by..

It's a great hotel with slick facilities and great facilities and i would recommend it for others to stay at.

• Stayed December 2012
CPCityCentreGZ, Public Relations at Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Dear Honored Guest,

Greetings from Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre!

We are delighted you have chosen to stay with us and that you are satisfied with our service during your stay recently.

Your experience in our hotel is quite impressive which I believe will inspire more staff to offer even better service to guests. The guy from Concierge whom you mentioned as Jeff must be Jave. We care for our guests and Jave has been the real model to make it happen. Thanks for sharing your story with us and your thanks has been passed to our management board and all staff to share.

We appreciate your advice to extend hotel gym's opening hours to 24 hours. Please do accept our sincere apology for any inconvenience caused. We would like to assure you that we have communicated your feedback to the concerned department and corrective action has been taken.

Best Regards

Lille, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights in my last visit to Guangzhou. The hotel location is very good, in the "old" city centre of Guangzhou (the area around the Garden Hotel) although if you are interested in the newly developed neighbourhoods from the city, you must take a taxi or metro (Tianhe is less than 10 minutes away by taxi).
Staff is friendly and they speak English.
Rooms are big.
Gym is fair.
Breakfast is very good.
Enjoy your stay in this grey and great city!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
CPCityCentreGZ, Public Relations at Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Honored Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to write the review and we are happy to hear that you had a great stay with us at Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre.

Our team strives to exceed the expectations of our guests and provide the true hospitality of a 5 star hotel. Next time you come to Guangzhou, welcome to explore more about Guangzhou as well as our hotel.You can also contact our hotel staff for more local information and I am sure they will tell you where you can find the "not so grey" area in Guangzhou to enjoy the fresh air(Ersha Island and Baiyun Mountain Park are recommend).

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need any assistance, we are looking forward to welcoming you back to Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre in the near future.

cynthia.xia@gz63.cn

Been to Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre? Share your experiences!