“Quite Nice with Quirks” 5 of 5 stars
Review of China Hotel, A Marriott Hotel, Guangzhou

You added China Hotel, A Marriott Hotel, Guangzhou to your Saves list
China Hotel, A Marriott Hotel, Guangzhou
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.122 Liuhua Road, Yuexiu District, Guangzhou 510015, China   |
Hotel deals
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Quite Nice with Quirks”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2009

I wasn't sure what to think after reading the reviews here, but as my trade event was at this hotel, I decided to take a risk and just see what was what.

I am so glad I did. The price was great, considering how clean and elegant this hotel is. My room was moderately luxurious, with a spacious bathroom, great work desk, a chaise, and a bed with lots of pillows. There was an iron/ironing board and a safe in the room. The free bottled water was a nice touch, too.

The concierge and front desk were spot on. They helped me secure a box I had shipped, showed me great places to shop and eat, arranged transportation to/from the airport, and taught me how to use Guangzhou's metro (an awesome feature of the city). Room service was REALLY prompt and courteous, and housekeeping was very conscientious about not throwing away ANYTHING I left laying around (like empty Ziploc bags, etc). They even rushed up some Band-Aids when I asked for some (but be sure to pronounce them band-a-gees).

The service was fantastic all throughout the hotel EXCEPT in the executive lounge. It just didn't make sense...why would management be lacking when it came to catering to the bigger spenders? The breakfast buffet was scantily monitored, it took forever to get a cup of coffee, the servers never seemed to clear tables or restock silverware, and the omelet chef didn't speak English.

And one useful tip: there's an amazing steak restaurant called Prime in the hotel. The prices there are truly ridiculous, BUT if you go back up to your room and order the same items from room service, the price is a fraction and the food is brought up in a warming bin all fresh and tasty (and fast, remember?)

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
FrankSanders, Frank Sanders - Director of Rooms at China Hotel, A Marriott Hotel, Guangzhou, responded to this review, March 14, 2009
Dear ChiGirl78 of Chicago,
Thank you for staying with us during your recent trip to Guangzhou and posting your experience on Tripadvisor.
The rooms are indeed fantastic and I was very pleased to see that overall service levels were up to your satisfaction.
We have also noticed that service is dwindling in the executive floor lounge, where service levels should indeed be equal, if not better than anywhere in the hotel. The Front Office Manager and I have committed to be daily in the lounge during breakfast and happy hour times in order to spot-check, provide assistance but also find out gaps in service and improve on them accordingly through training.
You may also be pleased to know that we are revising our PRIME menu and now also open for lunch serving great sandwiches and salads which are priced moderately.
Kind regards,
Frank Sanders – Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Connecticut - USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2009

I stayed here in February. I almost booked elsewhere due to some of the reviews. The negative reviews may have been before the renovation as I had a great experience. The staf f was professional and courteous. I was upgraded to a Junior Suite which was a nice surprise. The room was large even by American standards. It was perfectly clean. I also arranged a car pickup at the airport through the concierge. The pickup was prompt and the concierge emailed 3 times to confirm and make sure my needs were met. I would happily stay there again. It is convenient to the metro and bus stations.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Dear ybsConnecticut_USA, of Connecticut USA,
Thank you for your response and I was very pleased to see that our efforts are starting to pay off.
We are steadily moving forward with further improvements in our service and facilities and continue to closely monitor guest comments and suggestions which are a great tool to fine-tune our operation.
Tampa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

I stayed one night at the China Hotel (Marriott).

Booked a suite and it was really nice. The suite had a large plasma TV with a great selection of cable channels in English. The bed was comfortable and the room was very clean.

The hotel has a special air cleaning system that they put in when they remodeled. I think that people with allergies would really like this hotel.

Ceilings in the hallways are noticeably lower than usual. Kind of strange.

The hotel is in a great location for shopping and nightlife. Both are just a very short cab ride away. I went to a leather goods mall that was crammed full of all brands of knock-off purses. Bars along the river were fun.

I'd like to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
FrankSanders, Frank Sanders - Director of Rooms at China Hotel, A Marriott Hotel, Guangzhou, responded to this review, March 7, 2009
Dear Eldeesilver of Tampa,
Thank you for your comments and I was very pleased to read that you had a terrific stay with us.
We are moving forward with more positive changes in the hotel (upgrading lobby, additional shops, PRIME open for lunch, etc.) and I am certain that your next stay will even be more enjoyable.
northern territory
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2008

The china hotel is really everything that its supposed to be. Its 4.5 star, is fairly well priced, ( about 700rmb) and is right next to the metro.
my girlfriend and i stayed in a base room.. it was clean, large by china standards, and ok by western. bed was hard, but so are all chinese beds, came with 6 pillows, of 3 different types. ok, soft, very soft. quilt was warm and clean. the room was clean, and had been renovated not long ago. had a nice plasma tv, with plenty of channels to watch, including some english like discovery channell, movie channel.
the hotel itself is large, with shops downstairs, selling expensive clothes, makeup etc. it has a starbucks as well, that sells good, but expensive coffee. about 40 rmb, which is about $8. ok by west standard, but when you can have dinner for 40 rmb, in a restauarnt, you see value differently. Yue xie park is accross the road, so is the canton exhibition building.. the airport express bus has a stop accross the road, and the guangzhou hong kong bus leaves from next to the hotel.. macdonalds is next door, for anyone wanting some west fast food.
overall, compared to the grand hyatt, where i stayed last time,, hyatt has nicer rooms, for nearly twice the price, but china hotel is better situated, close to metro, restaurants, .. so i would recommend anyone with the budget to try it

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — no free internet access.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
FrankSanders, Frank Sanders - Director of Rooms at China Hotel, A Marriott Hotel, Guangzhou, responded to this review, January 2, 2009
Dear Mikatisathome of Northern Territory,
Thank you for posting great comments regarding our hotel and I was pleased to read that your stay was an enjoyable one.
Besides Yue Xiu Park there are 2 other great parks within walking distance and make a great escape from city life.
For a future visit I can also highly recommend an upgrade to our Executive Level at only RMB 300 daily, which includes the benefits of the 17th floor lounge: breakfast, happy hour, and complimentary wireless internet access.
vancouver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2008

I made my reservation by phone (# shown on Marriott website)

pro: bed size was good, bathroom is bigger after renovation

con: After a long flight and train (16 hours), I finally arrived at the hotel but my room was not available. The front desk lady told me the room has not being cleaned yet, she said because it's a standard guest room so it's popular (blah, blah, blah...too tired to listen all the excuses), anyways, I waited 50 min in the lobby for the room to be cleaned and was exhausted. The room has been renovated but with a too low ceiling, which made me feeling very uncomfortable. It seemed not very clean, especially the bathroom (esp. the bathtub & toilet).

I booked for 8 nights, but after I spend my first night there I decided to move to another hotel.

Overall I was very disappointed!

• Liked — none
  • Disliked — low ceiling
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
FrankSanders, Frank Sanders - Director of Rooms at China Hotel, A Marriott Hotel, Guangzhou, responded to this review, December 13, 2008
Dear Mushroomsan of Vancouver,
Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to post a reply.
I was very disappointed to read that your experience at our hotel fell this far short of your expectations that you decided to change hotels after your first night.
I do hope that you read my reply and contact me at the hotel in order for me to personally apologize and obtain additional feedback.
Kind regards,
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2008

Good and bad. Location was OK, next to subway and convention center. But not really downtown near anything walking distance.

Room was AWESOME. Brand new renovated, two large Queen Size beds. Huge shower area, though it was weird how the tub was there too I thought...and there's the window in the bathroom you need to pull the shade down on.
Panels had nice classic chinese style design...plenty of std. amenties for this level hotel.

However, pool and gym still under renovation...so unable to use those. They allow you to use the pool at the hotel down the street, but it's annoying to walk outside. Was pretty upset about that. Didn't mention it on the web site neither.

Service was OK, not bad, but nothing overly nice or special. Hotel you can still tell was a little dated, and what's up w the lack of seating anywhere in the hotel?

5* Room, 3* Service/public areas and facilities...the ones u could even use.

Stayed August 2008
FrankSanders, Frank Sanders - Director of Rooms at China Hotel, A Marriott Hotel, Guangzhou, responded to this review, November 2, 2008
Dear Noodlesz of Brooklyn, NY,
Thank you for your great comments regarding our rooms. Currently all our 850 rooms are completely renovated with some nice Chinese touches; especially our wooden Ming-dynasty style chairs and, as you already mentioned, the panels get rave reviews.
The health club and pool renovation on the 4th floor is completed and we have now an extensive range of brand new Star Trac cardio and weight equipment as well as sauna, steam and a Jacuzzi.
Also on the 4th floor you can find our PRIME restaurant and Sapphire Martini bar.
I look forward to welcoming you back and show you our re-invented areas!
Frank Sanders - Director of Rooms
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2008

The hotel is still undergoing renovation but our stay was not affected the least. We were immediately ushered to hospitality room upon arrival and received our room assignment there.

I really love the Oriental-Eurasian decor of the room and the hallway. Details such as Chinese vanity case and welcome tea drink added nice touches to our stay there. The headboard features wood cravings depicting ancient tales and history ; very interesting!

There is a shopping arcade, starbucks, mcD & upscale shops nearby the corner. The subway station is 50 meters away from the hotel lobby so getting around is not much a problem. The hotel also offers chauffeured car and coaster.There's a small counter selling milk, ramen, pastries and snacks on 2nd floor, near Cafe Verandah.Breakfast is OK with great spread of local fruits.

While the staff at reception are competent and are willing to accommodate your request, other personnels were not so patron-friendly. The person that they sent to help us with our courier box wrapped it recklessly and then left us without saying good-bye, leaving his work unfinished. Sometimes, there was no one to open the lobby door for patrons that come with luggage.

• Liked — interesting decor
  • Disliked — no seating area at the lobby
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
FrankSanders, Director of Rooms at China Hotel, A Marriott Hotel, Guangzhou, responded to this review, November 5, 2008
Dear Novena of USA,
Thank you for your comments and I was pleased to learn that your overall stay with us was a success.
The subway entrance right in front of the hotel is indeed extremely convenient, especially now traffic is getting increasingly hectic. If you are a regular traveler to Guangzhou I can highly recommend purchasing a subway top-up card which can also be used in taxis; very convenient!
Frank Sanders – Director of Rooms

Been to China Hotel, A Marriott Hotel, Guangzhou? Share your experiences!