“I'll stay with this hotel again for my next trip to Guangzhou” 5 of 5 stars

Club Delight Package
Ranked #1 of 2,821 Hotels in Guangzhou
4.5 of 5 stars 138 Reviews
Shanghai, China
“I'll stay with this hotel again for my next trip to Guangzhou”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I've always enjoyed staying at Mandarin Oriental hotels as each of them has its own unique charm yet maintains the same high standard in service. I was very pleased to have stayed at the new Mandarin Oriental in Guangzhou with a good deal and a nice room upgrade. The hotel design is clean and classic. I usually don't like hotels with dark color tones but this one gives me the right solid feel. I especially enjoyed sitting at their Loft bar. The room we had was nicely cut into two areas with huge windows surrounding our bed. You can imagine how lovely it must feel when the sun is streaming down.

Of course this doesn't mean the hotel is 100% perfect. I didn't understand the meaning of having the second sink in a complete different design. I suppose it would have been nice if the sink functioned well but the truth is the water kept splashing out. Don't expect any lady to like using that sink. Their shower drainage was also not working properly. I told this to the management and it seemed like they were well aware of this situation.

I also felt that the quality of their breakfast wasn't very high. I didn't get a chance to try a meal in their restaurant , therefore their breakfast was the only food I can comment on . It wasn't just the food quality that didn't match the hotel , the variety and staff service also seem to be lacking some competiveness to other good hotels.

The biggest disappointment though came from their spa. When it comes to spa and massage or any other well-being treatment people immediately think of Thailand. I must say the best massage I've had was at the Mandarin Oriental in Sanya. I really thought this one might be at least close to what I had in Sanya ....but then.... I've had enough of spas and massages to come to understand it's certainly not just about being in a luxuriously designed room, or have the masseuse asking how is the pressure or wether you like the smell of the essential oil. It's all about techniques! No guests would feel their money spent matched a good value if they could get the same result from a street massage chain.

Other than these personal opinions listed above, I did again enjoy my stay with Mandarin Oriental. Their staff was generally polite ( except for one evening on duty front-desk) and helpful even detailed to the security guard. I especially liked their front desk manager Lynny who initiatively asked my comments and critics. Every guest might encounter any difficult situation possible but what's more important to me is the attitude I receive from the hotel.

Room Tip: Some lower floors might get noise from outside as the hotel is located at a big intersection
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
MO_GUANGZHOU, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time and sharing your experience about your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou with the TripAdvisor Community.

I regret to hear that you did not feel as delighted as you should have expected, your comments regarding the room, dining and spa are well taken indeed. Please rest assured, that your comments will be shared with the entire team and thank you very much for such an honest feedback.

Once again, thank you again for sharing your comments with the TripAdvisor Community. We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back to Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou.

With best regards,

Clemens Hoerth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australian
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I'm away every second week from home for work, so I'm not so easily impressed by a hotel. This brand new Mandarin in Guangzhou exceeds every expectation.
The trip was a short break away from Hong Kong. The staff here are amazing, from the pickup at the train station, check in, housekeeping and room service.
The rooms are luxurious, stylish and very comfortable, the whole place is so relaxing.
I went for a club room, and the club floor facilities and service are great, no half attempt at breakfast like some hotel club floors, there is a chef on duty for your eggs to be just the way you like them.
The gym, pool are spa are fantastic.
There importantly is such a warmth and generosity of service in this hotel that I will indeed be back many times. They've even provided the supplier details for some of the furniture int he hotel so I can get some.
The new town with the museums etc is only a 30 minute nice walk away. There are many shpping malls right near the hotel and a couple of IT centres.
Make sure you vist Shamin Island while you're there
Treat yourself to a luxury break, this is the spot.

Room Tip: go for a club floor, well worth it.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed review and positive comments following your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou.

I am thrilled to read that the room facilities, the gym as well as the services provided by our colleagues have met and even exceeded your expectations. Your compliments mean the world to us. Our main goal is to always satisfy our customers and make them feel home away from home.

I sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou.

With my warmest regards

Guangzhou, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I made a reservation to stay at the mandarin oriental to celebrate my bday in march.
Since the moment of inquiring and making the reservation on the phone, the service was very top notch.

Once in the hotel, the service was very friendly and accommodating-- we stayed in the Club level and we had a champagne bottle and chocolate cake waiting for us in the room, all courtesy of the management with a signed note from the general manager which gave it a very personal touch.

One side note: as another reviewer mentioned in other comment: the beds are somehow on the hard side, could be a bit more "welcoming", we mentioned this to the mgt and they assured us it will be taken into consideration.

We also had drinks in the bar (I think its called The Loft?) and the ambiance was quite nice, offering a sort of semi private rooms. The whiskey offer is quite interesting. (Better selection than the Grand Hyatt bar and could be also as good as the Ritz's Churchill bar?).

The club features breakfast and afternoon drinks and snacks which we enjoyed fully. The Club level service was excellent and very very customer oriented. The food was freshly prepared and the menu (for the afternoon snacks) changed day after day which was quite nice.

We took advantage of the "The second night on us" promotion so we had the chance to enjoy all the weekend in the hotel, that is very well located and easy to access. At the moment, the hotel could be considered "secret pearl" that sooner or later it will be discovered.

Room Tip: The club level perks are quite nice-- but overall the rooms are quite new and big. The light block...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for sharing such a generous review with the TripAdvisor community. I am very pleased to read that you have enjoyed our hotel, including our Oriental Club Lounge, The Loft, and our legendary service. Please be assured that your positive comments have been shared with the rest of the team.

Once again, thank you for your review and endorsement. We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back to Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou.

With warm regards,

Guangzhou, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Last Thursday was 14Mar,it was White Day,my hubby booked the afternoon tea of Mandarin Oriental,Guangzhou to celebrate this day.

The location of Mandarin Oriental,Guangzhou is very good,it is next to Taikoo Hui,it is very convenient for shopping lovers.

When we arrived at the hotel,we were warmly welcomed by a smile from the doorman,when we asked where the Taikoo Lounge is,he led us to it with smile.The lobby was oriental and beautiful,the doorman was very nice,so the first impression of this hotel was great.

The Taikoo Lounge was situated on the 1st floor,it was large and the atmosphere was good.When we got in there at 15:00,the nice waitress just asked us how many people we were,after we said we needed table for two,she led us to the table,she was friendly and nice,however,my hubby had already made the booking of the afternoon tea on Wednesday,but she didnot ask if we had any booking.Around 15:30 they called my hubby to see if we were comming,my hubby told her that we had already been there for a while.I think that the waitress should ask the customer if they have booking first,that would be more considerate.

They offer two kinds of afternoon tea set,one is traditional,the other is chocolate,only RMB218/set/person,the waitress said we could share one set,the other one could order a drink.That was considerate,because the afternoon tea set included many cakes,although all of them were small,as afternoon tea,the portion is big enough for 2 persons.We chose the chocolate set,most of the cakes were tasty,we loved that!We will try the traditional set next time.
Before we left,their staff asked my hubby's comment,my hubby said that would be fantastic if there is Darjeeling tea in the menu,and then she went back to confirm immediately and told us that they offered the Darjeeling tea as well,but it was not in the menu,we can order it next time.This attitude was pretty good!

We love their cake so much,so we bought a cake in their cake shop after shopping,cake shop's staffs were nice too.The price was acceptable.

Overall,this hotel is excellent.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time and sharing such a positive review with the Trip Advisor community.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our Taikoo Lounge and Cake Shop. Your kind words regarding the quality of the service and the friendliness of the staff is a reward for us.

We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back to Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou soon.

With kindest regards

Surfers Paradise, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

From the moment we walked in the door, we were treated with smiles, friendly faces and such old-world courtesy that we immediately felt "at home". From the reception staff to the housekeeping staff, to the wait staff in the beautiful dining room....every one had a "can do" attitude, a willingness to assist, and a genuine eagerness to learn and improve. The hotel was brand spanking new when we visited in January, having just opened its doors two weeks earlier. As one would expect, there were going to be teething problems as there always is with any new venture. For example, the mattress in our room was extremely hard, and when we explained our problem, the hotel staff bent over backwards to please us and solve our issue. Overall, the service was exceptional and outstanding. It was such a pleasure to leave the congestion and stress of the downtown area, and enter the calming oasis of civilization that is the Mandarin Oriental hotel experience. It's location is directly adjacent to the beautiful and upscale Tai Koo Hui shopping mall, which can be accessed from the hotel's ground floor lobby area. At Tai Koo, we found the Ole supermarket which stocks all kinds of beautiful Western goods and fresh fruit and produce, as well as many familiar Western brands that are not readily available in China. The easy accessibility of the shopping mall made our stay at the Mandarin so convenient and comfortable. Special mention must be made of the unbelievably beautiful day spa that is a must visit destination in and of itself. It conveyed a grand yet intimate ambience, with beautifully decorated individual and/or couples treatment rooms complete with their own spa bath and shower facilities. We both enjoyed a wonderful therapeutic massage and facial, and felt fabulous afterwards! We have no hesitation in recommending this fine property which beautifully emulates the high standard of service and quality that is identified with the Mandarin Oriental brand world wide.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time to post such a complimentary review about your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou.

I am thrilled to read you have enjoyed your stay including our convenient location of hour hotel, the spa and most importantly the warm service of our team. We are always trying to make our guests feel like home.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou soon!

My kindest regards,

Muenchen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed at the Mandarin Oriental for one night. I wish it had been longer. The hotel provided some of the best, and most attentive, service I have experienced anywhere in the world. The rooms were enormous and had every modern facility. The views were spectacular and the bar and restaurant facilities were top-notch.

I could not recommend the hotel any higher, it was a pleasant and personal experience from start to finish. The staff at Mandarin Oriental Guangzhou should be proud of themselves and the experience they provide to visitors.

If you're looking for something that wee bit special this is definitely the place to go. The Ritz-Carlton and the Four Seasons both cannot compete with this new pearl of Guangzhou.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing Mandarin Oriental ,Guangzhou and for sharing such a generous review with the TripAdvisor community.

I am very pleased to read that you have enjoyed our hotel, including the comfortable rooms, the spectacular view, the bar and restaurant as well as our legendary service. Please be assured that your positive comments have been shared with the rest of the team.

Once again, thank you for your review and endorsement. We are very much looking forward to welcoming you to Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou during your next trip.

With warm regards,

Clemens Hoerth

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou? Share your experiences!