“Very well maintained up-to date Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Science City

You added Crowne Plaza Science City to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Science City
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.28 Ningcai Road, Luogang District, Guangzhou 510663, China   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #27 of 2,882 Hotels in Guangzhou
Richmond, VA
“Very well maintained up-to date Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

My first visit to Crowne Plaza Science City was back in September 2010 for one week. My second visit was in July 2012, when I stayed for 3 weeks. As other reviewers have said, the location is far from the city center but it is a nice quiet area, if that's what you like. My company has a plant in Science City but Science City must be pretty big because it took a 30-45 minute car ride to get there from the hotel each day. Since my first visit to Crowne Plaza, the Jade Club was built next door but I'm not exactly sure what it is. There is also an "I-Mall" a block away but I didn't see any stores in there. I'm guessing that it is in the beginning phases of being built because the only businesses that are open in that building are KFC, Pizza Hut, a Chinese restaurant, and a movie theater. I didn't get a chance to take advantage of the free shuttle service that takes you to the Tianhe district but might try that in the future.
The lobby is very nice looking and well maintained. There are four restaurants in the hotel: ADD Pan Asian, Mei Hua, Hao Chi, and Miss Saigon. I have been to all but Mei Hua. The breakfast is served buffet style in ADD Pan Asian and it has a pretty good selection. There are many different juice options, eggs made to order, pastries, and some traditional Chinese breakfast items. I would have liked to see bagels with cream cheese and a wider variety of fruits, like some berries, grapes, and pineapple, but maybe these fruits are less common in the area. The workers that greet you are very friendly and some even remember your name and what you like to drink, so that is very nice. In addition to the restaurants there are three little shops next to ADD Pan Asian restaurant. The first one is the "Deli Corner." This needs to be renamed because there is nothing deli-related in here --it is really just a little convenience store with snacks and other essentials. The store next door has flowers and the one after that has luggage. I never saw anyone shop in either of those stores. There are two bars: The Hub and The Mad Scientist bar. The Mad Scientist has a daily 2 x 1 happy hour from 6 – 8. It is a nice bar with video games and comfy seating and big tvs but it didn’t seem to be open very often. Outside by the pool is a snack bar and there are tables and chairs but I rarely saw anyone there to serve food. I was able to sit there once and get someone to wait on me but it took awhile. I would have liked to have eaten there more often since it was a nice little snack/sandwich menu but it just seemed like no one was ever working there. I would have liked if the hotel had a food option that was like a little quicker / more convenient. There were times when it would have been nice to just get a quick sandwich to go or carry-out from the restaurants to take back to my room, but I’m not sure that was an option. At all the restaurants you need to ask for the check or else you will sit there forever because they don’t ever ask you if you want it. The dinner buffet at ADD Pan Asian is pretty good. It has different sections, including a rotisserie with different meats (but good luck finding out what they are if you don’t speak Chinese), a sushi section, one part with made to order pasta (3 choices), breads, salad, lots of seafood, some Chinese and Indian dishes along with some western options. I would have liked to have had a station with sandwiches and would have liked to see a made to order Chinese station that served fried noodles/rice with different options to mix in. The dessert section was pretty good. I liked the ice cream and the chocolate fountain, though would have enjoyed more options to dip in the chocolate, such as strawberries, pineapples, and angel food cake. The servers weren’t able to always keep my water glass filled and weren’t very good about asking if I wanted additional drinks but I think this is because the Chinese drink a lot less in general. The price of a 12 oz coke zero in the restaurant is 25RMB but you can get it in a bottle at the deli corner for 8 RMB.
The pool is pretty nice with lounge chairs and a couple hammocks. There are also two small rock climbing walls. One time when I went to the pool, they made me take my flip flops off before going outside. I’m not sure why – I wasn’t going to swim with them on. At the lounge chairs and tables, there are drink/ snack menus but I never saw anyone walking around taking orders/serving people.
The gym was the biggest disappointment for me because I am a regular gym-goer at home but the temperature in the workout room was just too warm. It would be way more appealing (to me at least) if the air conditioner was turned on / set lower. Another problem with the gym was the fact that it doesn’t open until 6 am. This doesn’t give someone enough time to work out before work if they have to leave the hotel by 7 or so. It would be great if it opened up at 5 am. It’s not like anyone was in there at all times anyway, so I wouldn’t think it’d be that difficult to extend the hours.
The hotel has bikes that are free to borrow. I thought this was a great idea, especially since there are so many great biking paths around the area. However, the quality of the bikes isn’t that great. I had a chain break on me and another one I turned in with problems and it still had problems the next time I tried to borrow it. Also, they are all very short. I’m not sure if they will adjust them for you or not but I’m only 5’5 and I had a hard time finding one tall enough for me.
The hotel rooms are very spacious and attractive. The bed is very comfortable, the desk and chairs are all comfortable and there is a big flat screen tv in each room. There is wired and wireless internet and a printer also there in the room. Supposedly each room has a dvd player but mine did not. The bathroom is great. It has a full-sized tub and a separate shower. I had problems with the bathtub drain staying shut but they have a maintenance card in the room and when I had problems, I’d simply write it down and then it would be fixed by the time I got back. Maintenance and maid service was very good, keeping my room and the rest of the hotel in tip top shape.
Do not plan on getting your laundry done at the hotel! It was extremely expensive. I spent almost $300 USD getting less than half the clothes I wore in 3 weeks washed. Had I known how expensive it was going to be ahead of time, I would have definitely paid the fee for a second check bag because I would have saved a lot of money.
So, overall, the hotel is a great option if you’re looking for a place to stay in Science City or if you don’t mind a lengthy drive into town. The hotel is very well maintained and for the most part, I felt very comfortable staying there for an extended time.

Room Tip: I think the odd-numbered rooms are the ones that face the pool.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
cpgzsc, Manager at Crowne Plaza Science City, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write us a review. We are glad to hear that you were able to enjoy most of the facilities provided and gave us useful comments. Your feedback is valuable to us and we have passed the messages to all related departments.

We hope to see you again in the near future. When you come back, we hope that our staff and service will be able to make another trip of yours a successful one.

Guangzhou, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I like:
The breakfast buffet with good quality food.
Best i loved was pools , sauna and a well equipped gym with also table tennis;
Staff is always available, friendly and ready to help;
Rooms cozy and clean.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
Melbourne,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Still as good, as ever! We just love the club bar and chilli shrimp in the restaurant !
Management is very hands on, and have their finger on everything going on.
Thanks Leo and Katie.

Room Tip: Love facing the pool, but all good
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you very much for taking your time to write a review. Our staff was extremely happy when they received the comment, and your appreciation meant a lot to them.

We will keep up our good work and hope to see you in the near future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

The staff is very friendly and helpful. Overall the room is quite spacious... The only downside is too far from the downtown.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Joynbaby
Great Brak River, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

The hotel is a few kilometres from the city centre but that was exactly what I was looking for. It is set in a peaceful area with little noise and pollution. The hotel is easily reachable from the airport with a luxury bus stopping at the front door. The price for the ticket is also very reasonable.

The hotel rooms are big with all the usual neccesities. I personally like the soap that were provided as it smelled heavenly. My room had a fax/copier which can be very helpful if you need it. The restaurant was very good and the personnel attentive. It caters for western tastes as well.
The equipment in the gym is limited but enough to keep you busy for a while.

Their is a shuttle bus to the city that operates regularly and it is for free.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Tuscany987
cpgzsc, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Science City, responded to this review, June 7, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write us an review.
We are very happy to hear that you were able to enjoy the advantages of our location and the amenities that are provided in the hotel. It is our goal to make your trip a success!

We hope to welcome you again soon!
Guangzhou
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

Located in the Guangzhou Science City area. Around 20-30 mins from Tianhe City Center. The area is new, well designed, great surrounding part of the city. Staff are attentive and friendly. rooms are big and well decorated. I saw staff doing patch work (e.g. filling up the ceiling cracks and painting along the walkway) though the building should be quite new. The hotel also offers like kids corner to play computer, decent swimming pool (include heated one) though not so big, sauna, etc. Overall it is a good stay, nice environment and good for kids which is rare in Guangzhou.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

My room was good, with modern amenities and plenty of space. The air conditioning worked well and was unobtrusive.

I would stay there again ... and plan to on my next visit.

The one downside is the restaurants:
- the breakfast buffet is good, but the same restaurant in the evening is disappointing
- the other restaurants in the complex are expensive and mediocre (not poor, just not as good as they should be).

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business