“Best business hotel in Guangzhou” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hyatt Guangzhou

You added Grand Hyatt Guangzhou to your Saves list
Grand Hyatt Guangzhou
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.12 Zhujiang West Road, Pearl River New City, Tianhe District, Guangzhou 510623, China   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Super Smart Saver
Ranked #8 of 2,821 Hotels in Guangzhou
4.5 of 5 stars 547 Reviews
Shanghai
“Best business hotel in Guangzhou”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

I have been visiting Guangzhou for many years, stayed in the Grand Hyatt this time around and was very happy with my stay.
I have given it a five rating overall because of it's comparative offering in Guangzhou but to compare to Hong Kong the service still needs tightening up, mainly on the simple things (e.g. missing butter at the breakfast buffet, bread knife not sharp enough to cut the breakfast breads...) (I compare to HK as 1 it is so close and also it is so hard to beat the top Hong Kong hotels for service (I frequently stay in Shangri-la, Conrad, JW Marriott, Mandarin in Hong Kong if you want to know what I am comparing it to (though I often end up back at the Excelsior due to their very good service and great value..) - but my comments on the Grand Hyatt are me being picky - but then it is a five star... Other than this service was very friendly and with a smile which counts for a lot.

When you factor in the price compared to Hong Kong it is miles better value so the five rating can be said to be very deserved.
It is very "business" and is not a showy hotel, but I like it that way. The hotel rooms are an interesting design and I have heard some collegues not want to stay there for that reason but personally I liked it as a change from the standard type rooms you get in so many places.
As other reviews have noted unfortunately the area around the hotel is being developed for the upcoming Asian games so if you want to walk from the hotel don't wear your best shoes as a lot of building work and muddy areas but can't blame the hotel for this but something to bear in mind when picking your hotel - for me it made no difference.

Collegues who stayed at the Ritz Carlton did a comparison - they liked the "showy" nature of the Ritz, more of the gold paint.... but the Grand Hyatt is more functional business.
I will certainly stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
GUAGH, Manager at Grand Hyatt Guangzhou, responded to this review, October 18, 2010
Dear Wantaword
What a great comment! I need to say that you are not “Picky” at all. Being compared with other high level hotels in Hong Kong gives us a guide to follow up and improve our service accordingly. Those infrastructures around hotel area are still under construction now however the garden in front of hotel supposes to be finished before Asian Games. We look forward to welcome you back with a brand new environment nearby.

F&B is the most outstanding part of Hyatt brand. Thanks again for your great comments and reminders in our F&B service as well. Hopefully during you next visit with us we can offer you an even more enjoyable stay experience. A sincere comment like this has certain been a positive energy injection for us to keep up and improve at work.

About room design you mentioned, Let me take this opportunity to introduce more to you and other friends reading this comment. In Guangzhou every hotel has it is own characters, the concept of our Grand Hyatt Guangzhou is to be the unique hotel in the area. Hotel room is designed by Peter Remedios (same designer of guest rooms in Mandarin Oriental HK) which makes us much trendier as a boutique hotel rather than a common business hotel.

We are so happy that you share with us your precious opinions and the whole team looking forward to see you again Grand Hyatt Guangzhou!

Best Regards
Clemence
Revenue Analyst

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Wetherby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2010

Stayed 4 nights from 9th March 2010. I thought the hotel was incredibly good. I loved the room - the King Size bed was so comfortable, the pillows enormous and the bathroom, well, I just loved the modern layout with clever use of glass, mirrors and marble. It was great to stand in the shower and watch the sunrise.

The room had everything I needed, including fast internet access, wide-screen TV that was 180 degrees adjustable - and yet never obstructed the skyline view.

I only ate breakfast there, as always out on business, and each time I ate Asian, and enjoyed every one.

My room was on Level 20, and so 2 levels down from the lobby. I like this quirk of this brand of Hotel, as it is for added security and also, to get the best of the view. I agree its not in an idylic location, being a bit tucked away, but hey, taxis were there waiting and so incredibly cheap.

The Concierge explained that the gardens were being developed and that would stretch from the hotel all the way down to the river, opposite the TV Tower. When that is done this Hotel will be an even nicer place to stay - if that is possible.

When you do stay here, a real must is a night time River Cruise. The views are spectacular as Guangzhou comes alive in illumination. The Grand Hyatt is then dwarfed, nestling behind the spectacular China Bank of Agriculture building.

Regards

Antler

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2009

Great hotel - I believe newly built in June of last year. I would high recommend it

Pros
- Large bathrooms - and one of the most usually designed and interesting bathrooms with lots of mirror
- Strong shower water power with deep-soaking square tub (not rectangular!)
- duplex club lounge large with great selection of food/magazine
- Large rooms
- Very comfortable bed
- Great service (lots of people standing at the hotel lobby to greet you)
- Lobby on Level 22 is a plus or minus depending on perception - personally, I really like it because it adds an interesting dimension to the experience
- Tons of food at the breakfast buffet at the hotel restaurant

Cons
- Views are pretty sad - but this is similar to most hotels in Guangzhou anyways
- Internet does not work in my room

This is probably the best Grand Hyatt I have ever stayed in (I have stayed in the one in Singapore/Tokyo/Taipei/Hong Kong). The service was great, price was very affordable and I would highly recommend it.

Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Perth, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2009

Stayed for just one night with my mum, during a stop-over in Guangzhou on the way to HK. We stepped into the room and our jaws dropped. It was just gorgeous (and only their standard room too!).

We LOVED the HUGE, deep bath by the large shower, and the open-plan layout, meaning we could see the whole room while we were showering (probably not good if you're staying with just a friend, but family or partner would be okay!).

The bed was huge and comfy, and just... I can't do the place justice, really. It was modern, fresh, clean, and luxurious.

The buffet breakfast was incredible (and included with the room!!). Every corner you turn, there is more food, of a different style. If it's not there, they will make it for you at the chef station. We enjoyed it so much, we stayed for buffet lunch. So many choices, all of them delicious.

The pool area was amazing, and the spa was huge. The place just went on forever.

The only downside is the location. We went for a walk to check out the area, and there was........... nothing. At all. A few building sites....

The concierge was VERY helpful in getting us train tickets to HK, and arranging a cab for us tp the station. All staff were eager to assist with all of our needs. The level of English spoken was quite good :)

Great place to stay if you just want to laze around the hotel (there's no reason to leave- they have everything).

Best place I've ever stayed. Wouldn't hesitate to go back.

Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Taipei, Taiwan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

Hotel was brand new and completely confusing. It also embraced the ideal that bigger and newer is better but completely left out the fact that people needed to be trained; however, you can't really train 'common sense' into people.

Start off with the usuals:
Check-in: Took forever. Staffed with 5 people, each had one customer and everyone took 20 or more minutes. They did not ask for a credit card for incidentals from my co-worker (overlooked) and he could not access the internet and had to call down. They also forgot to ask my other co-worker who checked in for his card and actually made him go all the way "Up" to the lobby to personally hand it over. They inputed names in an order when made some of our middle names our last names so if you were trying to call, it's too bad that you actually got the wrong name.

Trying to find your coworker in the hotel via phone was confusion. At one point I could reference her name, at another point they referenced me to ask which company I was working for and who booked and found it that way, at another point she did not exist and neither did my company.

Rooms were new and bright. However, once you walk in you might just slam into a cleanly wiped glass door or have to hunt through the labyrinth that is your bathroom. Sink was set up like one of those bar sinks with stools, wiggle around to your shower and bath with the faucets randomly installed, and your bathroom is on the other side. Once you were able to get into the bedroom it was fine -- bed was nice and cushy, ipod hookup, tv, curtains,etc all remote.

Breakfast: I never made it. Lunch: I don't recall it, probably had room service once, salty but I did have an awesome club sandwich. Dinner was pretty good, the chef was very nice and answered any questions we had. What I did not enjoy was the woman who kept coming over to heckle me, trying to get me to join the rewards points that the Hyatt had for 1500RMB. She came over twice and kept walking by eyeing me as we were having dinner. Drinks: once you let them know exactly what you wanted they can get it done (no view or ventilation).

This new GZ hotel sells this "Sky Lobby" concept when you go on the 22nd Floor to check in but then get this -- all rooms are located on the like the 11th to the 20th or so floor. So you get back to the hotel, you take the elevator up to the 22nd floor, you walk across to another set of elevators to take it DOWN to your room. From the room you take the elevator UP and then DOWN. Some other hotels that come to mind would be the Gallery Hotel in SIngapore and Le Royal Meridien in Shanghai, the W in HK -- ok but fair enough all these and many others you take the elevator UP to the lobby and then UP to guest rooms. None of this UP and then DOWN. Upon questioning they noted that this Sky Lobby was their selling point and we concluded it probably fetched a nicer rent from restaurants located in there. The smoking/drinking lounge was located in a loft upstairs from the 22nd Sky Lobby and surprisingly enough it didn't have windows. Leave it to the Grand Hyatt in GZ to build out a fantastic sky lobby and you don't get a view from where you are sitting.

If you want a safe, clean, new hotel for a budget of 600-700RMB, this is fine. A bit closer to the action unlike the Ritz.

Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2009

The hotel looks like it should really be a great hotel but there is something just not quite right about it. The rooms are very nice and extremely clean, but the design is quite unusual and the glass walled shower and bath (this seems to be the latest trend in China) not practical for all situations. I counted at least 14 light switches in the room!

Food was decent and the breakfast buffet particularly good, although the layout of the buffet and tables leaves a little to be desired. The swimming pool and hot tub are very nice but the insistance on wearing swimming hats is a little annoying and serves almost no practical purpose.

The hotel layout is also rather annoying with the lobby on the 22nd floor and all the rooms on floors below. I can't think of any genuine reason why they put the lobby where it is when there is a large area on the ground floor that is unused and would make the perfect location for the lobby, like in almost all other hotels. It means you have to go in the lift up to the 22nd floor then transfer to a different set of lifts to go back down to the room.

Front desk staff were a bit hit and miss with some being rather inflexible for a hotel of this category, particularly regarding changing of check-out dates. The concierge was excellent and other staff seemed fairly attentive.

Worst thing about the hotel is the location. It is not quite as horrendous as the Ritz Carlton but there is almost nothing here other than building site. Maybe in a couple of years it will be OK. Few taxi drivers know how to find the hotel.

Overall, the Ritz Carlton is a slightly better hotel but the Hyatt has a slightly better location. There are, however, better options than both of these hotels.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Been to Grand Hyatt Guangzhou? Share your experiences!