“Excellent staff - get to know them” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Le Meridien Medina

Le Meridien Medina
You added Le Meridien Medina to your Saves list
Le Meridien Medina
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Khaled Bin El Waleed Road | PO Box 1735, Medina, Saudi Arabia   |
Ranked #62 of 110 Hotels in Medina
San Francisco, California
“Excellent staff - get to know them”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

My colleagues and I were on an extended visit for work staying at Le Meridien. The building and grounds are pretty, the rooms are clean and well furnished, and the food is adequate. What we found most rewarding was the hotel staff. They are a mix of Saudis and expats who are friendly, curious, cooperative, and hardworking. We got to know many over our stay, and they made the trip. Due to the length of our stay, the hotel management was willing to negotiate a moderately reduced rate - they didn't have to, but they did. We had people coming and going, too, so our billing was complicated, but the management was helpful and congenial in sorting this out at the end. The hotel hosted two large conferences and numerous wedding celebrations while we were there. The conferences appeared well organized and serviced; the wedding celebrations ran well into the night, but the sound was contained and did not keep us from sleeping.

Shortcomings include that: (1) The hotel is isolated and is a long walk from shopping and restaurants; on the other hand, this keeps it quiet and there are taxis. (2) In-room wi-fi is costly and for the price of the rooms really ought to be complementary. There is free lobby wi-fi that can be accessed from most floors around a central atrium, but logging on can be irregular probably due to limited bandwidth. (3) The business center charges per print or scan. The cost of the rooms is high enough that these nickel-and-dime charges are a little irritating. If you just need a photocopy, ask the guys at the front desk, they will make a few in an instant. (4) The restaurant dinner buffet is expensive. The room service dinners are much cheaper and are adequate - expect 30-45 min for dinner to arrive. The breakfast buffet is complementary and has sufficient diversity and abundance that you can make some sandwiches to take for lunch on the job. (5) As noted by other reviews, the hotel lacks amenities that one might expect (gift or other shops, 24 hour snack bar or diverse restaurants, pool or fitness center). Although the grounds and interior look spectacular, this is really more a business hotel and certainly is not a resort.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

Medina reportedly has some great hotels (Hiltons, Sheratons, etc.), but I'll never know, unless I convert. All those hotels are inside the Haram (forbidden) area. In fact, almost everything to see in Medina is inside the Haram, like Mecca. Large imposing signs line the perimeter telling non-Muslims to stay out. We were in Medina as our jumping-off point to Medain Salah, a couple hours north. The Meridien is your only choice. It's a large and mediocre hotel on the outskirts. We were the only diners at the buffet, which was so-so and expensive. The room was dark, because most of the bulbs were burned out.

Room Tip: It's not so easy to get a room here (for non-Muslims). Book early!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Walid Reda S, Director of Sales at Le Meridien Medina, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear Mr.Ialhasa

Greetings from Le Meridien Madina

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, the point you have raised in regarding to the forbidden area it is govt policy and we will must follow it.
regarding burned bulb we have investigate and management take necessary action.
please accept oursincere apologies. we take all feedback from our guests seriously to heart and therefore we will be investigating the matter that you have raised and we will take corrective measures to resolve the situation. we are glad that you will be returning and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards
Walid R. Shalaby
Director of sales & Marketing
Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

This is the only hotel available to non-Muslims in Medina as it is outside of the "Haram" or holy area. It is NOT by any measure what you would expect of Le Meridien. Unlike other reviewers, I found service well-intentioned, just not adequately trained. I had a funny discussion with the front desk when I called to ask for a Room Service menu. Reception insisted it was in my room but I could not find it in any of the places he said it should be. He finally (and reluctantly) agreed to send another up but when I hung up I found it, hidden under the part of the quilt folded over by "turn-down" service—absolutely out of sight. The hotel offers very limited services. There is one restaurant with a buffet for every meal during limited hours. If this does not suit you, then there is Room Service. There is nothing for purchase in the lobby—not snacks, not gifts. The hotel is not near enough to anything for you to walk to other options although you can take a taxi to any one of several large shopping malls.

What I found kind of amusing was that half of my desk was blocked by a tray permanently attached to the desk surface that supported an electric kettle, cups, tea bags and instant coffee. I had to use my laptop at an awkward angle.

Unlike other reviewers I found Internet speed to be fine although having to purchase it every 24 hours was annoying as was the cost.

This hotel is fine for what it is--it is comfortable but very basic.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Walid Reda S, Director of Sales at Le Meridien Medina, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Dear. Lavjajeraliz

Greetings from Meridien Madina

Thank you very much for staying at Le Meridien Madina and taking the time to share your feedback.
Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience that you have experienced during your stay with us.
I already share your complaint to Room Division and send you a private message to get some more information.
We are glad that you will be returning and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Thanks and best regards

Walid .R. Shalaby
Director of Sales & Marketing
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

The hotel that was so bad it finally made me write a Trip Adviser Review!

They evidently survive from the Non Muslims who are requried to stay here when visiting Medina and clearly make no efforts to provide even a decent level of service and experience despite charging more than double some of the fantastic 5* hotels located in Medina.
The hotel is very large yet i constantly felt like i was staying there alone, and this included the lack of staff.
Probably summed up my experience of receiving a stone cold meal from room service and after 30 mis of trying to fix it with several different staff was finally told by the kitchen manager that they cook food to order hence I must have ordered it cold. Priceless
Comfortably my worst hotel experience on a cost/value/experience ratio - p

Room Tip: Just avoid it
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Walid Reda S, Director of Sales at Le Meridien Medina, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Mr.Livethelifeyoulove1
Greetings from Meridien Madina

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback here.I regret to learn about some of the service shortfalls you experienced during your recent stay at le Meridien Madina and i apologies for the inconvenience caused.
Please be assured that we will continuously review ways to fine-tune our processes and services to ensure better efficiency and quality of our service touch points.

Thank you again for your review,its is through valuable feedback like yours that allows us to continuously improve our service quality to provide our guests with a warm and comfortable stay.I hope to welcome you and your loved one back to Le Meridien Madina in the near future for a more successful stay.

Thanks and best Regards
Walid Shalaby
Director of sales
le Meridien Hotel Madina
Williamsville, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I had a really bad experience of staying in Le Meridien Medina hotel earlier this week when I was there with one of my colleague for a business trip.
The first thing that surprised me was no security at the entrance (no one ever checked us despite entering any time in & out of the hotel) although I don't like being checked frequently, yet in a country like Saudi Arabia there should be some checks, randomly if not regularly. However, I never saw any security guard at the gate whatsoever. The barrier was always open.
Anyhow, once we entered the hotel, it was hard for us to find out where the reception was. At last we came to know that the reception of in a corner where two gentlemen were sitting on a table (not like a regular counter). It took us long time to check in but at last we manged to get two rooms.
The room was clean but surprisingly nothing in the mini-bar. The small fridge was empty and was smelling. There was wireless internet but it was paid (Saudi Riyal 100 per day) which is strange as these days most of the hotels provide free internet.
I told at the reception that I need English newspaper in the morning but I think they did not pay attention to what I said and for two days I kept on getting Arabic Newspaper every morning.
The worst was the check-out. It took us 45 minutes to check out and we almost missed out flight because of the lousy staff at the reception. There were only two tables and one computer was working. Apparently, the staff didn't know the password of second computer... would you believe it? After a wait of 45 minutes, the guy told us "OK, you can go!". That made us laugh because he didn't even bother to print me a receipt. He couldn't even speak proper English and seemed to be very lazy.
The breakfast was ok but not of a 5 star rating.
Overall, it was a pathetic experience. I would never ever stay in Le Meridien in medina. I would prefer to stay near the Haram Area where most of the hotels are located. I have no idea who gave this hotel a 5-star rating???

Room Tip: My tip, don't stay in this hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Hotel seems OK from the outside but pretty much everything is skimped on. Just one water in the room etc. The usual Starwood RIP OFF for wi-fi access... SR100 for 24 hours. The wi fi is dig slow as well. A recent IHG survey in the middle east stated that wifi is key for travellers so its about time Starwood woke up to this.
Unfortunately for non muslims this is the only hotel available in Medina and I assume this is why they seem completely unconcerned.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Libreville, Gabon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Was there for a meeting where we took one meeting room on the 4th floor , the room is situated between two blocks and this gives the impression that initially it was not a meeting room rather a balcony , very very narrow , very poor equiments , coffee break was not that much ,danish pastry delicious , the restaurant is empty and they served private lunch to us , salad is poor with no dressing at all, food is between poor and average , desert is a complete failure . Compared to other meridiens , this one is totally outdated , at least from design , meeting,restaurant perspectives !

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Le Meridien Medina? Share your experiences!