“Very good food and very generous portions.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 26 Restaurants in Avon
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Avon, New York
“Very good food and very generous portions.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

We went on a weekday. No reservation was needed. As we ate our appetizer we saw other meals being boxed up to take home. We couldn't figure out why people were barely touching their meals. When our meals came we realized they probably had eaten half their meals because the portions were so big they just couldn't finish them.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Rochester, New York
“Dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

We had the pleasure of dining at this restaurant last night (July 11, 2014). The meals were scrumptious, along with excellent service. This restaurant offers half portions on some of the entries since full portions are "over the line." I would suggest discussing this alternative with your server. I had the stuffed (crab) broiled haddock and this entree was not on the half portion menue.

If you like Italian food I would highly recommend this restaurant. We live in Rochester and it is somewhat of a hike from our home, but it was well worth it.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Nebraska
“Are you ready for your boxes...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

No surprise the serving staff are prepared for you to take some food home after dining...the portions are huge!!! The story isn't size though, it's the taste. The red sauce on my lasagna was incredible...my wife's seafood pasta was delicious. I'll be back next trip through...

Visited July 2014
Geneseo, New York
“Tasteless, cheap food.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

My fiancé and I went to Fratelli's for a date after a coworker of mine had raved about it.

I ordered a pasta seafood dish tossed in an olive oil and herb "sauce." The pasta was boxed Barilla, the "sauce" was tasteless and watery, the clams were rubbery, and worst of all: the crab meat was IMMITATION crab meat in shaved ribbons. There was an inch of water in the bottom of my bowl. I had to pour about a pound of parmesan cheese on the dish to make it even taste like anything.

My fiancé ordered the "Tour of Italy" which came with ravioli, linguine alfredo, and chicken parmesan. Again, it was a disappointment. Cheap pasta, tasteless sauces. The "chicken" was a thin frozen chicken patty.

My fiancé loved the dinner simply because the portions were large and because he will eat just about anything without complaint. Not wanting to be rude or ruin the date, I ate my dinner without complaining.

Our meals came with the choice of a side salad or soup. I ordered the clam chowder soup, which tasted like it had come straight from a can, and my fiancé ordered a side salad with ranch. The dressing was surprisingly nice, but the "greens" were cheap iceberg lettuce.

By this point, I'm no even sure why I ordered dessert. Maybe I was hoping it would get better, since I had read such great reviews. Being that Fratelli's is supposed to be authentic Italian food, I suspected the Tiramisu would be a safe bet. Wrong again. The espresso flavor was prevalent, but the entire thing was covered with an awful and cheap-tasting cool whip.

The best part of the whole meal was the complimentary fresh bread the waitress brought us, which I did enjoy.

Over all, if a friend or family member had made this dinner for me at home I would have been satisfied and I would never complain. But after reading such great reviews and hearing my coworker rave about Fratelli's (whose website boasts "authentic Italian food, just the way grandma used to make it"), I had really high hopes for a decent meal. I am not a food snob, but I know crappy and cheap food when I taste it. Fratelli's may have huge portions, but I would have preferred a meal twice the price and half the size any day.

We spent over $50 on a dinner I could have made so much better myself, and probably for less. We will not be going to Fratelli's for date night any time soon. If you are looking for good eats in the area, I recommend the Big Tree Inn in Geneseo, NY.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Nairobi, Kenya
“Wonderful food, great service, massive servings.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Everything about this restaurant was just great. Great Italian food (cooked to perfection) that was full of flavor. Friendly, cheerful service; and huge servings. My wife ate half of the "half portion" order of her meal. The bruschetta appetizer was enough for 4 people! Not cheap, but good value.