“Russian food near the theatre” 3 of 5 stars

7-812-3155148
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #924 of 7,996 Restaurants in St. Petersburg
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Paris, France
“Russian food near the theatre”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Went here after noting it in a SPb travel guide and upon recommendation from our guide. To start, I must say that if I was not so tired from our day at Pushkin, I would have preferred someplace else with a warmer atmosphere. That said, in short:

Ambiance - white table cloth, a bit too formal with the dining room appearing ready for a wedding reception all in white. It was Saturday evening and only three tables were occupied. We were the only English-speaking guests present.

Live Music - three person ensemble. nice touch

Wine list - as like everywhere else in SPb, expensive but varied. they do have house wine by the glass at 350 per with a choice of Spanish, Russian or Italian. I went for the Russian which I will not do again although had to try at least once.

Food - wide range of European and Russian dishes along with some game dishes. They do offer a tasting menu which will give you a good range of the Russian offerings. Do note that Russian dishes are rather bland. We opted for cocktails, main dishes and wine only.

English-spoken - menu in English and the hostess does speak English. our waitress did her best with her limited English and even translated the bill for us which was a plus.

Service - attentive with limits due to the language barrier. The hostess had to translate several times. However, our waitress was friendly and accommodating.

Overall, not bad but not great. Would I go there again? Probably not as there are lots of other options at more reasonable pricing. I guess what put me off the most was the stiff environment.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Sipoo, Southern Finland, Finland
“Excellent food and good price quality ratio”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We wanted to dine in a typical Russian restaurant offering typical Russian food. 1913 was the right choice. The menu was very comprehensive and we both found nice components to our meal. Wine list was also good, extra appreciation for local (Russian, Armenian etc) wines. Staff was helpful and very kind, we felt very welcome to the 1913. Pace of the serving was brisk, we were done with three courses, plus aperitifs in a couple of hours. Ad hoc orders were swiftly delivered. A big plus for the waiter explaining the bill in detail, it would have been a bit difficult to check because of Cyrillic writing. We really enjoyed our dinner.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London
“Average food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

Our friend recommended this restaurant to us, so we made the trek and had high expectations.

Unfortunately we found the food overpriced for what it was- average to say the best. Our mains did not come with any sides so we had to purchase them at an additional cost.

I would not recommend as we found much better restaurants in St Petersburg for the same price, but better quality.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dallas, Texas
“Good Local Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Recommended by our tour guide, obviously frequented by locals (a good sign), was a nice choice for dinner, Comfortable surroundings in a quiant upstairs room where a musical trio treated us to traditional Russian music at variuos times during dinner. The staff was friendly and helpful although we did have to ask for water about 4 times. Large selection of Russian favs with a highlight on soups, game and fish, great borsch, our fish was served complete with the head, eyes, etc. It was very good with good service, we can recommend this establishment.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
St. Petersburg, Russia
“Worth visiting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I was there twice. My first visit was not the best experience. But that is because being in a harry I did not found service to be quick enough. May be that is why I was not impressed of quisine. When I came to 1913 next time I liked everything: service, food, atmosphere.

Visited May 2013