“The tallest building in the historic center of St.Petersbug” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Azimut Hotel Saint Petersburg

You added Azimut Hotel Saint Petersburg to your Saves list
Azimut Hotel Saint Petersburg
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lermontovskiy Ave., 43/1, St. Petersburg 190103, Russia   |
Ranked #134 of 276 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Sofia, Bulgaria
“The tallest building in the historic center of St.Petersbug”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

Very big hotel with amazing panoramic view from 18th floor and two entrances (one is on Fontanka River). Big old furniture rooms, nice and clean bathroom, there is water machine on each floor and ironing room too. Great breakfast with many different cold and warm dishes. Helpful and friendly staff, has an umbrellas machine, also machine if you need to change money, but have to pay for luggage room. Good location, it’s easy to reach the center of town as you wish (also to see raising the bridges in the night): by foot it takes around even less than an hour and its nice walk around the river Fontanka, metro station is 15 min away, bus stops very close to the hotel. And in that region there is the chocolate fabric of St.Petersburg - Кондитерская фабрика имени Н. К. Крупской with own shop, if you’re a chocolover don’t miss Russian bonbons (конфеты).

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Moscow, Russia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

No WiFi!!! Dont belive big posters inside - no WiFi in your room in small wing.
No AC! In St Petersburg veri hot summer is occur, and living in non-AC room - is challenge.
NO ROOM SERVICE!!! Absolutely! And paid luggage room, too.
Very old towels bad linens. Small rooms.
Old name of this fantastic hotel is Sovetskaiya (Soviet Hotel). It is true. Island of Soviet times in nowdays.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

We came here in the summer time in August this year, so when we arrived at the hotel we expected a nice and comfortable room to rest for the rest of the day. However the room is so hot and humid, and we can't find air conditioner in our room. The staff said we had to pay 2000 rubles more to get a room with an AC. We were so pissed because if we had paid 2000 rubles more we could have stayed at a better hotel closer to the historic place of the city. So we decided to endure the room without the AC (we already paid full price before we came), because the weather is quite breezy (it's about 20 degree outside), we could just open the window and let the cool air in. But we realize whenever we open the window, lots of mosquito fly into our room. As a result we could only sleep 2 hours a day because we were disturbed by the mosquito the whole nights when we are here. Our St Petersburg experience is not quite an joyful journey because of the terrible hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Though it is not located on a main street, it is still in historical part of the city. Renovated rooms, built in Soviet times. Perfect breakfast. Fantastic wiev from the top cafe. I do recommend as a former citizen.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

awful experience.. Everything in the room is very dirty , dirty carpet, toilet, bathtub,furniture, and bed sheet, etc...Before I booked this hotel , I was informed by the agent that only eaast block offers free wifi in the room. But when I arrived, there was no air con in east block. The hotel staff said I have to pay 100 USD for a room with air con!
The funny thing I saw was there was a gift shop next to the reception desk. It was selling Azimut hotel brand soaps , shampoos ....in travel size .....! I was wondering , if I have to pay for a small bottle of shampoo when I need it?
I suggest to spend 50 USD more to get a much more better hotel nearer City center. I paid 130 USD per night but it is not worth the price AT ALL!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

I spent 3 nights here in the middle of May, and generally enjoyed my stay.
Good points, Very good breakfast buffett , always good variety of warm and cold dishes.
Most things about my single room was okay, everything worked , a bit cramped and dated but everything clean. Cold and hot water fine. Front desk staff always friendly and helpfull and all speak perfect english. The 1 restaurant meal I had was excelllent with no complaints. Overall a good budget choice in a very expensive city.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

First of all Tripadvisor has the map wrong. It is on a different Lermontofsky Street then the one shown, and is in fact more central though not very central.

I am an American who once lived in Russia, and now travel often for business. I speak some Russian. This is my perspective.

I usually stay at the Ambassador Hotel when I come on business. And this hotel I can highly recommend. But due to the Economic Forum in St. Petersburg, all the rooms were booked and my company found me a space in the Azimut. Mixed feelings about Azimut. Overall and for my purposes very negative, but I do have some positive perspectives on this.

First dirty. The rooms are small and tired. While the bathroom seemed clean there was a persistently odd smell in it. The rugs are dirty and the towels and bed linen all very worn and past their sell-by date. Everything had been through the wash, they were just beyond the point of resembling anything new.

You pay for everything. Want a room with AC, that is more and my business had not paid for it. So you are stifling hot, or you keep a window open and are constant food to Mosquitos (and summer in St. Pete with all of it's canals, means plenty of those) and there is the constant sound of traffic. The hotel is situated on two MAJOR streets and old Russian trucks hurdling over tram tracks and pot hole of unkept Russian roads makes quite a bang. I was on the 10th floor too, and people who spoke to me on the phone or via Skype, commented on the background noise.

There is no room service, and no dry cleaning. Business travelers can press but not clean a suit. The service experience was mixed. Inspite of putting a "do not disturb" sign on my door, maids came in twice, once while I was still in bed! In the restaurant I was gruffly told by a waitress I could not order a pizza from their pizza oven, even though I saw them being made. Somehow it was not available or possible. So I got up from the table, walked ov to the bar, ordered a pizza to take to my room. No problem?!?

Decent breakfast, and a decent restaurant, all in the lobby. But beware, very smokey. Russia is just coming around to smoke free environments.

You can not sign anything to your room bill, and if you want to leave bags between your check out and the flight, there is of course a charge.

A large 1960's ugly monstrosity with god knows how many rooms, means that the place is never peaceful nor charming in the slightest.

So there you go. Basically I slammed the place and stand by my low rating. For me this was NOT an ideal place for a business trip.

HOWEVER, Russia of today is really about two different worlds, foreigners along with an elite group of wealthy Russians, and then the real Russians of today who hold this huge place together, who labor and toil, who earn a wage almost certainly far less than their western counterparts.

In the nicer more central swank hotels, you seldom ever see these real Russian people, those of Russia's middle class. But at the Azimut during St. Pete's wonderous White Night season, I was struck by the fact that I was surrounded by
(in addition to some foreign tourists) a huge number or regular Russians here on holiday. And this is something that is really cool. There is definitely a different vibe from the higher end hotels which are prohibitively costly to a vast majority or the Russia populace. So you had families with kids, all coming here to be tourists in their own country. That was actually, really refreshing.

And of course I complain about many features which make this hotel substandard by any western metric. And yet if you endured what the Russian people have gone through for literally centuries, then what are a few inconveniences. They all seemed to be truly enjoying themselves and are probably more immune to the Soviet nature of this place than I am.

I don't plan to return here, and I don't advice a good friend to stay here either, but this hotel provides a service and a place in St. Pete.

• Stayed June 2011

Been to Azimut Hotel Saint Petersburg? Share your experiences!